Re: Spring 2009 Signees Thread

Old Titan

What's great about that roster is that we have the potential to play very big at times. I don't think in anyway this would be a starting 5.... but....

Stokes

Morrison

Nassare

Ford

Bell-Holter

Thats a lineup with somes shooters and some bodies. Kyron can play a little point so that would be fun to see.

Even if you take out Nassaire and add Pearson, that would still be a sizable starting five. Man I'm getting excited. What a year for UNM, TU, and Missouri to come into the Maybee.

I think Ken is by far the "quickest" guy on the team. I remember one of the first games last season, he was taking the ball up the court, and did an incredibly quick stop and go move on the defender, but it was so quick he completely left the ball behind him.

If Ken can handle the ball as quickly as his feet move, that guy will be deadly on the court. That kind of quickness can easily make up for any height issue he might have.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• darrenj

• theeagleman5

TheEagleman is also pumped with the season still 6 months away....especially with those big boys like TU, UNM and Mizzou coming in.....Mabee they will beat us and Mabee they won't.... :-D

Andy Katz has TU in his preseason Top 25 - for the first time in years, they're an RPI booster for us!  :lol:

Our match up with TU this year is going to be a fun one.

They have their "stud" pg coming in, who is supposed to be the one who puts the  universe in order for them.

We'll see...

Either way I think Andy Katz may have been drinking a little too much when he came up with his top 25 prediction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4105841

That prediction is a little much.  Medder is a big deal for us, but he hasn't played a minute of D1 ball and is completely unproven.  Wojcik screwed up with last year's recruiting class and I recall some rancor at the beginning of last season about how it would be really hard to get significantly better in the offseason.  I still think that's the case.  The good thing is that C-USA will be even easier next year, with UAB likely to stink and Memphis missing a lot (though I still think they'll be pretty darn good).

Wojcik can't like this... Raises expectations - better to fly a bit under the radar and not have a target on your back.

Nasarre apparently grew an inch.  They are listing him at 6'10" and 225 (seems a little light for that height).  Here are his stats from last year:

Nasarre averaged 8.9 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 2.1 blocked shots in 30 games as a sophomore last season. He shot 55.6 percent from the field, including 8-of-25 from three-point range, and 70.3 percent from the free throw line. 

Big man who can shoot free throws should be a nice turn of events.

That prediction is a little much.  Medder is a big deal for us, but he hasn't played a minute of D1 ball and is completely unproven.  Wojcik screwed up with last year's recruiting class and I recall some rancor at the beginning of last season about how it would be really hard to get significantly better in the offseason.  I still think that's the case.  The good thing is that C-USA will be even easier next year, with UAB likely to stink and Memphis missing a lot (though I still think they'll be pretty darn good).

TU will be a nice team. Especially if Uzoh is able to move back to his natural position. I don't know about top 25 but they will challenge in a depleted C-USA. I can never figure UAB out, I always think they should perform better than they do... maybe it's coaching.

TU will be a nice team. Especially if Uzoh is able to move back to his natural position. I don't know about top 25 but they will challenge in a depleted C-USA. I can never figure UAB out, I always think they should perform better than they do... maybe it's coaching.

I would think they would be right behind Memphis again next year.

It's all about the coaching.  Davis is a strange man.  Their fans despise him.  He can recruit very well, but something about the way UAB runs things makes little sense.  They could have had Demarcus Cousins if they gave him the same out in the LOI that Memphis gave their star recruits (a program they are obsessed with beating).  Other than that, Davis is a terrible representative for an athletic program.  He tried to get other jobs this year and still needs to fill a bunch of scholarships; they return something like five scholarship players, including a guy we offered a walk-on spot to; it was a pretty goofy thing to do in light of those needs.

UAB is also just a weird program.  They are like what would happen if OSU-Tulsa had an athletic program.  They are controlled by what they perceive as their competition, the Crimson Tide.  A couple of years back, UA blocked UAB hiring a football coach.  The program plays in a really dumpy stadium.  But they have pretty good fans and Birmingham is a nice town.

As for us, I like our bigs.  I'm not sure how a team that got run out of the gym at Auburn (who lost to my favorite, Bob Hoffman, earlier in the year) makes the top 25 the next year.

Hey, how did this become a TU thread?

Oh, well, if you can't beat 'em, join - WAIT, maybe we can beat 'em!!  :lol:

All bets are off when it comes to predicting the C-USA regular season champion (where the 3-time-zone breadth of travel can only be described as "Summit-like", combined with some scheduling that is downright goofy), but hosting the postseason tournament is huge for TU. 

If the right match-ups fall into place, a healthy Golden Hurricane squad will likely be the favorite as Medder will have 30+ games under his belt by then.

BUT, back on topic:  I just hope we play TU as late as possible in the schedule this season, so our new guys have a chance to do some growing of their own before we tackle the Golden Hurricane.

Playing the game on November 15th last year, before either team had even broken in their new Nike's, was an utter waste of a date.

I thought I heard somewhere we were playing you guys pretty late . . . like January.  Who knows?  Seems like the date moved around a lot last year before it was announced.

I'll never miss any opportunity to kick Mike Davis.  He really made some friends at the Reynolds Center last season. 

I don't think the C-USA schedule for travel is all that bad.  It's way better than the WAC.  The only bad trips are ECU and Marshall and a lot of years we only have to visit one.  All those games in Texas are pretty nice.  I don't like C-USA's Wednesday night games.  In Tulsa, OK, that's asking for a haircut on attendance.  I really do like the unbalanced schedule; the less we have to deal with our friends from Rice, the better.

Being somewhat centrally located, Tulsa doesn't have it quite as bad as some of the others - ask Central Florida or East Carolina how they feel about the UTEP trip, or if any fans of the Texas schools ever make it to Marshall or UAB.  :-P

I thought I heard somewhere we were playing you guys pretty late . . . like January.  Who knows?  Seems like the date moved around a lot last year before it was announced.

I'll never miss any opportunity to kick Mike Davis.  He really made some friends at the Reynolds Center last season. 

I don't think the C-USA schedule for travel is all that bad.  It's way better than the WAC.  The only bad trips are ECU and Marshall and a lot of years we only have to visit one.  All those games in Texas are pretty nice.  I don't like C-USA's Wednesday night games.  In Tulsa, OK, that's asking for a haircut on attendance.  I really do like the unbalanced schedule; the less we have to deal with our friends from Rice, the better.

I read in the Tulsa World a few weeks back they were looking for a January date.

Anyone know if ORU is going to try to get a bracketbuster game for next year?  Or are those games in jeopardy as a whole?

TU stinks...can't wait to play them and beat them...whatever month the Golden Hurricane decide they can fit us in.... :-D

Being somewhat centrally located, Tulsa doesn't have it quite as bad as some of the others - ask Central Florida or East Carolina how they feel about the UTEP trip, or if any fans of the Texas schools ever make it to Marshall or UAB.  :-P

UAB isn't a bad trip from Texas.  At worst, it's a two hour drive from Atlanta and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of flights to the ATL -- that's how I went last year.  They wouldn't go to UAB because it's a dump of a stadium and they aren't really that interesting of a team to play.  And other than maybe Houston, the Texas schools don't travel all that well.

I'm pretty sure Mike Price likes the East Carolina trip because he thinks it's a new state he hasn't visited.

Yeah, you've got the extremes there.  But I don't hear many of the schools complaining about travel.  Marshall and UTEP were happy to be in C-USA over the MAC and WAC respectively.  It's not hard to get to Orlando on commercial (though a lot of our schools do charter).

East Carolina and Tulane are the only schools I've heard make the travel argument.  Tulane has their own completely unique set of problems; they are really smack in the middle, but they want Thursday-Saturday games with travel partners in hoops to make it cheaper. 

East Carolina, well, if you've read our board, they are already in the Big East (and we also filed applications on their behalf to join the SEC, ACC, MLB, NBA, NHL, Canadian middle school hockey league, and some sort of semi-pro football league in Japan).  http://redflagsports.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2435&mid=118079904&sid=1181&tid=118079904&style=1They have something neat going in football, but they sort of stink in most other things.  Though, I saw a really facsinating conversation where one of their fans said that Billy Gillispie couldn't handle the media pressure in Greenville if he ever was interested in their job.

It's not a perfect league, but we've got some great trips yearly to places like Memphis, Orlando, and New Orleans; at worst, the Houston and Dallas are pretty easy.  Beats trying to get to San Jose, Ruston, La, and some of those locations in the Valleu.  Travel costs are definitely cheaper from our perspective.