Re: Spring 2009 Signees Thread

Old Titan

Craion will be probably the best defensive player on the team which means he is going to get some minutes for Coach Sutton.

You will really like the way he plays!

The juco big plays like Gaston(spelling?) who played for ORU a few years ago.

Nice to have a big step out and shoot a little.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• darrenj

• theeagleman5

Craion will be probably the best defensive player on the team which means he is going to get some minutes for Coach Sutton.

You will really like the way he plays!

The juco big plays like Gaston(spelling?) who played for ORU a few years ago.

Nice to have a big step out and shoot a little.

Matt Gastel? 6'11" from Jenks...

That's who I was thinking of too, but I don't remember Gastel being much of a shooter.

I’m really exited about this new team.  I feel like we have all of the size, athleticism, and talent in the right places.  The only piece I think we could be weak in is experience and leadership.  Thankfully we have a great coach who will build this in our guys.  Now I just hope that we will have a Canada trip early next season so that the guys get some extra time to develop as a team.  I remember hearing that the Canada trip is what helped Caleb and Ken mesh so quickly their freshman year.

Anyone notice our roster is slowly growing in both maturity and height...

Coach Sutton is going to have a hard time deciding who should be in the rotation and who shouldn't. I think any one of these 11 guys has a legit chance of gaining consistent playing time. It will be interesting to see if the new juco's have what it takes to steal a starting position.

Ken Holdmen -      6-1 - So.

Roderick Pearson -  6-2 - So

Hunter McClintock  6-2 - Fr.

Beloved Rogers -      6-2 - So.

Kyron Stokes -          6-5- RSo.

Michael Craion -        6-5 - Jr

Dominique Morrison - 6-6- So.

Tim Morton -              6-9 - So.

Kevin Ford -                6-9 - Sr.

Damen Bell-Holter      6-9 - Fr.

Javier Nasarre -          6-9 - Jr

Our guards are definitely taller, but the lack of a 6'10"+ big man is something to get used to.  Other than last year, we've had gastel and Michalic and dont forget Charlie ludwig ;) 

Also notice, there are no seniors, and our most veteran players are juco's who will be brand new.  We may have a leadership problem again this year till a pg decides to step up and lead like bluitt did.  Maybe DoMo will be the leader?  We'll have to see.

Ford's a senior, though I would put my money on Stokes and Morrison being the leaders of this team for the forseeable future.

I was close on the name!Kinda!

Pearson will be a good leader next year also.

Have added some good pieces for next year.

Anyone notice our roster is slowly growing in both maturity and height...

Coach Sutton is going to have a hard time deciding who should be in the rotation and who shouldn't. I think any one of these 11 guys has a legit chance of gaining consistent playing time. It will be interesting to see if the new juco's have what it takes to steal a starting position.

Ken Holdmen -      6-1 - So.

Roderick Pearson -  6-2 - So

Hunter McClintock  6-2 - Fr.

Beloved Rogers -      6-2 - So.

Kyron Stokes -          6-5- RSo.

Michael Craion -        6-5 - Jr

Dominique Morrison - 6-6- So.

Tim Morton -              6-9 - So.

Kevin Ford -                6-9 - Sr.

Damen Bell-Holter      6-9 - Fr.

Javier Nasarre -          6-9 - Jr

Although I don't believe he will capture much playing time unless he improves dramatically over the summer, is the non-mention of Ugo just an oversight or a statement?

Historically, the Sutton 8-man rotation has created a situation where four players get 30+ minutes per game, four others receive 10-20, and the others capture five or less (mop-up).  Based upon what we know today, I would predict:

30+:

Pearson

Stokes

Morrison

Ford

10-20:

McClintock

Rogers

Bell-Holter

Craion

<5:

All others

I could also see Ford and DBH both with 25 per game, simply because of foul trouble and matchups.

Is this realistic???  If so, I would say we have had a fairly successful recruiting season, adding at least three players who will contribute significantly from day one to a team that already had four starting roles "locked".

First the two new recruits must sign a letter of intent. Then they have to show show up on campus this Fall. With the recruit from Spain, I assume that we have to get approval from the NCAA Clearinghouse. Remember that we had an issue with that last year concerning Scott Farrington (Bahamas) and that is why he is not a Golden Eagle.

I have assume that both players are capable. Craion's stats are decent - and if he can defense, he will get a chance to contribute. (Think Yemi and Kelvin.) Nasarre's video shows that he has some moves and can run the floor okay. He has height (can't be taught or coached) and appears to be able to shoot. Gotta take a chance on a 6'9" player.

Historically, the Sutton 8-man rotation has created a situation where four players get 30+ minutes per game, four others receive 10-20, and the others capture five or less (mop-up).  Based upon what we know today, I would predict:

30+:

Pearson

Stokes

Morrison

Ford

10-20:

McClintock

Rogers

Bell-Holter

Craion

<5:

All others

I could also see Ford and DBH both with 25 per game, simply because of foul trouble and matchups.

Is this realistic???  If so, I would say we have had a fairly successful recruiting season, adding at least three players who will contribute significantly from day one to a team that already had four starting roles "locked".

I would wager that McClintock - if he can score like it seems he can - might get something along the lines of 20-25 minutes a game, taking minutes from whoever between Stokes/Morrison/Pearson isn't producing on a given night.

Being a lefty will be an advantage.... it also helps that he is evidently ambidextrous. Did anyone catch the Magic vs. 76ers game a few days ago when the 76ers player made a driving layup against Dwight Howard? He was able to make the layup to win the game bcause Howard assumed he was right-handed and made the block attempt on that assumption.

I don't understand why the letters of intent aren't signed yet, but I will assume that these 2 commitments will be in the fold come August/September.  Since Javier Nasarre has played 2 years at a juco, I would hope that he wouldn't have any issues with qualifying for the NCAA as long as his grades are good.  Also, since Javier has been in Tonkawa, OK for the last 2 years, I would guess he would want to get out of there and to Tulsa ASAP.  I have been to Tonkawa before...

I mostly agree with ORUBlue82 analysis of playing time except that I am expecting more from DBH.  Also, McClintock could be a player that will merit more playing time if he can bring it at the D-1 level like he did in those videos.

Ken Holdman is kind of an overlooked player because he didn't get much opportunity to show what he could do last year.  If I remember correctly, he missed some playing time due to an injury and then once we hit the heart of conference season Scott was forced to rely on the more experienced players.  From those who saw him play in high school, I have heard that Ken Holdman is very athletic and they expect him to really blossom once he is healthy and gets more opportunity.

Also, I know that Beloved Rogers is listed as being 6'2", but in games last year I would guess that he was closer to 6'0".  Correct me if I'm wrong... 

What happened with Scotty Farrington?  Did the coaches decide that he wasn't all that or is there some reason why he doesn't qualify?

What happened with Scotty Farrington?  Did the coaches decide that he wasn't all that or is there some reason why he doesn't qualify?

Farrington had some sort of issues with qualifying last year after signing his LOI; he played instead for Rogers State in Claremore this past season.

Ken Holdman is kind of an overlooked player because he didn't get much opportunity to show what he could do last year.  If I remember correctly, he missed some playing time due to an injury and then once we hit the heart of conference season Scott was forced to rely on the more experienced players.  From those who saw him play in high school, I have heard that Ken Holdman is very athletic and they expect him to really blossom once he is healthy and gets more opportunity.

I agree that Ken played with a lot of energy in his limited time on the court last season.  I just think he's going to have a hard time cracking the lineup with Pearson/McClintock (better ball-handlers) and Rogers/Stokes (better shooters), but hopefully he can continue to improve and give one of those guys a run for the money.  I like Ken's defensive intensity, but unfortunately, he's not tall enough to be a sure-fire "stopper".

I like Ken's quickness and anticipation on defense. He can be a disruptor but needs to improve his shooting and ballhandling - as others have said. His best avenue is to combine the two and become skilled driving to the basket - using his quickness to score at the rim. He will need to improve his perimeter shot so opponents cannot 'cheat' and play away from him.

What's great about that roster is that we have the potential to play very big at times. I don't think in anyway this would be a starting 5.... but....

Stokes

Morrison

Nassare

Ford

Bell-Holter

Thats a lineup with somes shooters and some bodies. Kyron can play a little point so that would be fun to see.