Re: Spring 2009 Signees Thread

Old Titan

he redshirted because I don't think the coaches thought he would get many minutes

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• darrenj

• theeagleman5

So....reading between the lines....are you guys saying that Morton simply cannot play and is not expected to be part of the rotation next year?...or still a project with some potential?.... :-P

I don't know - though others might. He passes the 'look' test (6'9" and athletic looking) and is only a (red-shirt) freshman. It probably depends on how much effort he puts into his game.

I don't see him contributing many minutes. He's a big body that plays smaller than he is. Just a lil to nice down low. Instead of him muscling to the basket, he settles for jumpers. We could see him go in when Ford is in foul trouble, and Bell-Holter needs to take a breather, or vice-versa.

Didn't Shawn King sneak in right before the fall semester began.

Nope, King was a fall 2005 signee as a sophomore at Carl Albert JC; he then played the '06-'07 and '07-'08 seasons for ORU.

Thanks, Wake...sounds like Morton is just going to be a role player at best....TheEagleman was hoping for a bit more from him with Lewis graduated..... :-P

Heck we would have taken his brother also!

The swing they will sign will be a difference maker for next year and would probably be their best defensive player. Hopefully be done soon.

Still looking for a big guy maybe early next week for one of those also. Need one that is for sure!

Heck we would have taken his brother also!

The swing they will sign will be a difference maker for next year and would probably be their best defensive player. Hopefully be done soon.

Still looking for a big guy maybe early next week for one of those also. Need one that is for sure!

As is often repeated here, "Defense wins championships", and we all know the Sutton legacy for teaching and playing hard-nosed defense.  At this point, if given the choice between a defender and a scorer, I think I'd lean toward the defender.  I'd be thrilled if we could land a guy who's stats aren't gaudy but can play some shut-down defense. 

Remind me again how many scholarships we have available for possible signees?  Do we have three more, besides DBH and Hunter?  We started with five (three seniors, Hardy, Guyton), less the two signees - or am I missing someone?  Does Pearson count now, or did he count even during his transfer year?

Pearson's scholarship is already taken into account this year when he transferred. We have three seniors (Sango, Jarvis and Lewis) as well as Hardy transferring and Guyton leaving the team. That leaves five open scholarships according to my calculation.

Pearson's scholarship is already taken into account this year when he transferred. We have three seniors (Sango, Jarvis and Lewis) as well as Hardy transferring and Guyton leaving the team. That leaves five open scholarships according to my calculation.

Also have to wonder about Ugo - he wasn't exactly peaking at the end of the season...  :|

Also have to wonder about Ugo - he wasn't exactly peaking at the end of the season...  :|

Currently, Ugo is on the 2009-10 roster at orugoldeneagles.com, but so is Hardy, so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Looks like DBH has chosen Matt Gastel's number for next season.

Currently, Ugo is on the 2009-10 roster at orugoldeneagles.com, but so is Hardy, so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Looks like DBH has chosen Matt Gastel's number for next season.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hardy is still welcome to return should he change his mind between now and fall semester.  He hasn't technically severed ties with ORU until he enrolls somewhere else.

I gave Ugo the benefit of the doubt... Otherwise we might have six available scholarships. I wonder when all of the transfers away from ORU might affect our APR?

I gave Ugo the benefit of the doubt... Otherwise we might have six available scholarships. I wonder when all of the transfers away from ORU might affect our APR?

It's bound to sooner or later - but if we're not using all our scholarships and/or playing that many guys anyway, does it really matter?

It would be more of a PR black eye than anything else...