ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

I would think your idea of leadership is being supportive of and respectful to those for whom you work and and are paid to promote, but you've proven time and time again that that's not the case.

Seriously?  I'm not supportive?  Do you really want to go there?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

Seriously?  I'm not supportive?  Do you really want to go there?

All right, that's it!

Both of you boys to your rooms - and no TV tonight!!

I'd make them turn over their cell phones, too - that usually works pretty well for us  :wink: . . .

I'd make them turn over their cell phones, too - that usually works pretty well for us  :wink: . . .

And unplug the wireless router.

I turned off my computer right after the game and just this afternoon read through this post.  As horrible of loss as this was, I'm not overly surprised.  The odds of this team winning the tournament were pretty slim, especially the way they played of late.  ORU teams have historically been Jeckle and Hyde, but this year, Hyde seemed to show up way too often.  Had we played with North Carolina intensity down the stretch, we would have blown out the Summit opponents.  That quandry requires soul searching.  We must stop playing down to the level of our opponents. 

We underachieved in the non-conference schedule, even with admirable showings at NC and Missou.  I think we then overacheived in conference.  Who at the beginning of this year thought we would be playing for the regular season championship in our last game?  Sure, we should have done better in the tournament, but I'm not sure I would not have wanted to watch the Hyde team show up on national TV in the championship or even in a 4th straight NCAA appearance.  "Perrenial representative of the Summit" would have a nice ring to it when uttered by the national sports press, but "Perrenial 1st round blow-out victim," not so much.  Maybe the best part is there will be no emotion in the office pool picks this year.

As a whole, I think this season went about as well as it could have, especially since we had no real point guard.  The team has a good young core with lots of potential and we have a great home schedule next year.  And with the positive changes at our beloved University (improving fincances, great new President and vastly improved alumni board  :wink:), the future is bright.

TheEagleman just got this early news flash....the lead official for tomorrow night's Summit League Championship Game will be........Marge Gunderson..... :-D.........this is a definite step up.... :-D

It has taken me this long to even be able to look at the message board.  Driving home from Texas, Blue gave me updates until I could pick it up on the radio....from then on I was screaming at people who couldn't hear me and riding an emotional roller coaster.

It's over -----like child birth, by next year I will forget the pain.

At lease there's baseball.

TheEagleman just got this early news flash....the lead official for tomorrow night's Summit League Championship Game will be........Marge Gunderson..... :-D.........this is a definite step up.... :-D

"You betcha!"

I turned off my computer right after the game and just this afternoon read through this post.  As horrible of loss as this was, I'm not overly surprised.  The odds of this team winning the tournament were pretty slim, especially the way they played of late.  ORU teams have historically been Jeckle and Hyde, but this year, Hyde seemed to show up way too often.  Had we played with North Carolina intensity down the stretch, we would have blown out the Summit opponents.  That quandry requires soul searching.  We must stop playing down to the level of our opponents. 

We underachieved in the non-conference schedule, even with admirable showings at NC and Missou.  I think we then overacheived in conference.  Who at the beginning of this year thought we would be playing for the regular season championship in our last game?  Sure, we should have done better in the tournament, but I'm not sure I would not have wanted to watch the Hyde team show up on national TV in the championship or even in a 4th straight NCAA appearance.  "Perrenial representative of the Summit" would have a nice ring to it when uttered by the national sports press, but "Perrenial 1st round blow-out victim," not so much.  Maybe the best part is there will be no emotion in the office pool picks this year.

As a whole, I think this season went about as well as it could have, especially since we had no real point guard.  The team has a good young core with lots of potential and we have a great home schedule next year.  And with the positive changes at our beloved University (improving fincances, great new President and vastly improved alumni board  :wink:), the future is bright.

Excellent post, OKCE, and I think I would agree with every point.  It's as you say - this was not a team I felt certain would win the conference, and after we lost to NDSU at home, I really felt uncertain that they could win they would win the tournament.  I think that's the reason that while losing was deeply disappointing, it wasn't devastating, as some losses have been. 

Excellent post, OKCE, and I think I would agree with every point.  It's as you say - this was not a team I felt certain would win the conference, and after we lost to NDSU at home, I really felt uncertain that they could win they would win the tournament.  I think that's the reason that while losing was deeply disappointing, it wasn't devastating, as some losses have been. 

OKC - glad to see you on that new an improved board with several other members of the message board and/or GEC Board. http://www.oru.edu/alumni/programs_services/board/board.php (This is a three-peat for me and 9 years is probably enough for anyone)

The future is bright for ORU all of the way around  8-)

OKC - glad to see you on that new an improved board with several other members of the message board and/or GEC Board. http://www.oru.edu/alumni/programs_services/board/board.php (This is a three-peat for me and 9 years is probably enough for anyone)

The future is bright for ORU all of the way around  8-)

Yeah, OKC Eagle.  I especially like your bio... :wink:

I guess we just have to say OKC Eagle is a man of few words.  :wink:

You didn't room with him at ORU!!! (obviously)

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to bring this up this late.  I just joined your site and of course read this thread and saw a couple things that bothered me....

donkeylarry - You're telling us that a woman poured pop and ice cream all over your coat and chair simply b/c you stood for the first few minutes of the game?  Then you go on, on the same thread, talk about how you were talking smack to the ref and then you pick a fight w/ a fellow ORU fan on here.  And I'm supposed to believe you were just a poor victim amongst some of the nicest people on the face of the earth?  Not only do I doubt pop and ice cream were poured on your stuff, at least not intentionally, but if it was I suspect you had a little something to do with it.  That's not the way people up here operate.  I moved back here b/c the people up here are so great.

As for SDSU beating ORU - just a week or so earlier we darn near beat you in the Mabee Center.  I thought that played a little bit into it that night, our kids believed.  Also playing a part was the Arena crowd.  They were extremely fired up for our first D1 basketball tourney game.  South Dakota is actually a basketball crazy state and SDSU was always in the top 3 in attendance at the D2 level and most D2 schools in the region are in the top 10 in attendance.  The last part of the equation was that one of our players drove back from Omaha just a couple hours before the game.  He was down there b/c they told him his mother (awaiting a liver transplant) wouldn't make it much longer.  It was a very emotional time for the whole team and they played off that emotion (his mother made a recovery and just returned home this past week). 

As for us hosting the tourney - The whole area was very excited and very appreciative.  The head of the SF Sports Authority had experience before running NCAA regional tournies and knew exactly what to do.  Our cooperate sponsors stepped up bigtime and, as you know, attendance was great, despite the winter storm.  I know everyone is real excited for the tourney to return and with our fan support, 4 Summit schools in the area and as good of cooperate support as anyone could ever ask for, we plan on being a very, very strong bid for years to come.

As for the refs - I remember some questionable calls at the Mabee Center when ORU escaped the game w/ a win against SDSU.  I'm sure none of you had an issue w/ the refs that night though.  :wink:  It's hard to win when you're basically on the road, playing suspect defense and simply not hitting outside shots or FT's.  You make just a couple more 3-pointers and noone talks about the refs.

Sorry about the novel  :wink:

Welcome, SDSUJacks!  Glad to have you aboard.  But you're a day late and a dollar short with that post!! :wink:

Thanks!

And I know, I just had to....especially after reading the comments of that donkey guy.

You can bid all you want, but unless you guys can do something about sub-zero weather at tournament time, you're not going to host it indefinitely.

At some point, the powers that be are going to want to trade a little revenue just for the chance to actually go outside at some point during the tournament.  :|

We can get some bad weather in March, but it's seldom "sub-zero".

I'm sure you know the numbers from this years Summit tourney.  You know that records were shattered before a game was even played and that the records for women's attendance was broke....on the first day.

Sioux Falls (community of 200k, 45 minutes south of Brookings) loves it's sports.  We've had the model CBA/NBDL team for 20 years.  Our indoor football team (4 titles in a row and a record for most consecutive wins by a pro franchise) sells out regularily, our independent baseball team (champs last year) draws well as does our USHL hockey team (2x champs), Augustana College just built a new state of the art football stadium, U of Sioux Falls (defending NAIA football champs) built a new stadium last year and have been runner-up or won the NAIA the past 5 years and have lost one conference game in something like the last 7 years. 

On top of that we have unbelievable cooperate support.  Daktronics, Citi are just a couple and the big ones as is Sanford Health.  Joe Krabbenhoft from Wisconsin?  His dad runs Sanford.  T Denny Sanford just donated $400 million to the hospital (why it is named Sanford).  Dana Dykhouse (SDSU alum) is in w/ Sanford and just donated $6 million to SDSU for a student athlete center at the football stadium and runs First Premier bank and bankcard.  Anyway, these guys and others will step up and do everything they can to try and keep it in Sioux Falls as often as possible.