ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

Now my comments on the tourney. We are sitting in the front row (only two ORU fams on our side of the gyn) and cheering for our team from the tip. Standing until we score, as we have done for years. 20+ SDSU adult fans are behind and next to us screaming for us to "SIT DOWN!!!!" or they will call security etc etc etc!!! We calmly say we'll be happy to sit when we score, but we'll be standing a lot all night, we expect it to be a good game and they will be too. A lady grabs a chair from press row pulls it on front of us and stands on it and starts dancing to black our view. Ushers ask her to please find her seat, so she decides to pour pop AND ice cream all over our chairs and jackets, etc each time we stand up to applaud our team. I paid money for those seats as much as the next person and I may be wrong but I was at a basketball game, not a movie theater. Classless fans by SDSU no better way to show that you don't deserve to host this tourney than the display those folks showed. Tourney officials and staff were great (refs not included) and putting on a good show despite 5,000 otherwise not appreciative fans, who blatantly displayed what it looks like to "have never been there before".

I'm very sorry you had to deal with that sort of behavior for the fans in Sioux Falls, DL.  While neither the SF Sports Authority or the Summit League can control every fan that attends, I think they need to be aware of this sort of thing at the highest levels.  Truly, if the fans are incapable of proper decorum as the HOSTS of the tournament, then they shouldn't be hosting it.

Do you think that alcohol had anything to do with the one woman's behavior, or was she just totally lacking in social graces?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

ORUBB, hopefully we are being seperated by mileage right now. Really? Do I follow this team? So you believe that our players just decided on their own to start picking up the defense at halfcourt instead of falling back despite the coaches?  They have the ability to stay in the game and not follow the gameplan without consequence?  That sounds like an ever larger problem. We disrupted their offense for 5 minutes by doing something different defensively...go on a 15-0 run, then abandon that and go back to being dominated the remaining 15 minutes of the game. That's the players idea? Is this streetball? Its exactly "same song broken record" and exactly what's to sickening. No gametime adaptation to adversity. Always figuring it out at home after a heartbreaking loss. Shouldn't happen consistently. 

Bisonbacker, PLEASE do not take anything I have said in an attack to your program. You guys deservedly were the class of the conference this year and I was "envious" to see how your program stayed cool last night despite the Centenary run to walk away with a win. Same goes for SDSU, their gameplan forced us to be uncomfortable all night and outweighed ours and we had no answer. A great win for their program and they should be proud.

Now my comments on the tourney. We are sitting in the front row (only two ORU fams on our side of the gyn) and cheering for our team from the tip. Standing until we score, as we have done for years. 20+ SDSU adult fans are behind and next to us screaming for us to "SIT DOWN!!!!" or they will call security etc etc etc!!! We calmly say we'll be happy to sit when we score, but we'll be standing a lot all night, we expect it to be a good game and they will be too. A lady grabs a chair from press row pulls it on front of us and stands on it and starts dancing to black our view. Ushers ask her to please find her seat, so she decides to pour pop AND ice cream all over our chairs and jackets, etc each time we stand up to applaud our team. I paid money for those seats as much as the next person and I may be wrong but I was at a basketball game, not a movie theater. Classless fans by SDSU no better way to show that you don't deserve to host this tourney than the display those folks showed. Tourney officials and staff were great (refs not included) and putting on a good show despite 5,000 otherwise not appreciative fans, who blatantly displayed what it looks like to "have never been there before".

Or what? You might make a ridiculous comment to my face instead of on a message board? Don't make me laugh.

You're basically saying that our coaches, who have guided this team to over 100 wins the last five seasons, one NIT, three NCAA Tournaments and four regular season conference titles suddenly forgot how to coach a game last night?  I'd ask if you were being serious, but I already think you are.

If our top eight are playing and not playing well or following the game plan, what are the coaches supposed to do? Put in Ken Holdman, who can't score, can't yet run an offense and has been hurt for two weeks? Put in Ugo? Joe Moore? Get a clue.

When the top eight (or one in particular) aren't playing ball, there are no other options at that moment. But I'm sure if you were coach, you'd come up with something.

I'm posting a link and for anyone that was at the game/venue please take a look and if you don't mind post a comment as to why you feel that way.  I'm curious I wasn't there but didn't hear any bad comments.  Here's the link (check the poll)

http://bisonsports.net/BSNBlog/

These words sound familiar, bisonbacker?  You may remember posting them about us this morning on the Jackrabbit board:

No kidding, go read their message board if you haven't already. All season long it's been about how great they are blah blah blah. When they win they talk about how good they are when they lose they trash talk the competition or refs or both. I won't post there anymore. Hell I posted a score in one of their score threads and was told to leave (co-incidentally was on a night they lost) so they don't take to losing very well. Fact of the matter is they have had it the last three years and now they lose it and don't know how to act. I've read a couple of posts from their fans who seem like decent guys but the rest just seem like a bunch of jackasses.

These words sound familiar, bisonbacker?  You may remember posting them this morning on the Jackrabbit board:

Couldn't have said it better.

I don't believe alcohol had anything to do with it. Even so, she was an adult, not a teenager and alcohol isn't an option for an excuse. And the woman wasn't alone...maybe in the pop and ice cream pouring, but the class of the entire section was the same. As if we came into a movie theater and stood on our chairs infront of them. They simply and obviously haven't been to a game before. I had a beer before the game, but I didn't have any desire to ruin the evening of other basketball fans, even those fans of the team  that was playing us out of the gym and ruin their experience. It one thing to be passionate and another to be ignorant and uneducated. I may toe the line at times, but have never tried to upset the spirit of competition. Like I said, Summit staff was great and dealt with the situation, but damage done.

Couldn't have said it better.

Bisonbacker was talking about ORU fans there, ORUBB.  Is that really the way you view us?? :?

Not trying to make you laugh BB, I'm moving on. I'll be happy to recap my comments directly to your face anytime. I'll be in the same seats as last night watching basketball in an hour.  Come on by. If you've already left, we'll try again next year, and as you said it will be so much better then. I'm holding onto that hope since you follow the team so much more than I do.

Or what? You might make a ridiculous comment to my face instead of on a message board? Don't make me laugh.

You're basically saying that our coaches, who have guided this team to over 100 wins the last five seasons, one NIT, three NCAA Tournaments and four regular season conference titles suddenly forgot how to coach a game last night?  I'd ask if you were being serious, but I already think you are.

If our top eight are playing and not playing well or following the game plan, what are the coaches supposed to do? Put in Ken Holdman, who can't score, can't yet run an offense and has been hurt for two weeks? Put in Ugo? Joe Moore? Get a clue.

When the top eight (or one in particular) aren't playing ball, there are no other options at that moment. But I'm sure if you were coach, you'd come up with something.

Yeah, because we couldn't have subbed Jarvis for Rogers because his 16%FG and 0-6 from 3 were carrying us  :D :D :D . Especially since Rogers plays defense.

Our comments and opinions are colored by the love we have for ORU and the basketball program. Most people here are genuinely supportive of the coaching staff and players - we want them to succeed. We are ardent fans who attend/watch/listen to all the games and follow the statistics of each player, etc. Some of us know a few things about basketball - and some of us not so much. That does not disqualify us from voicing our opinion or perspective.

This was a rebuilding year for ORU basketball - and next year will be too. We lacked a point guard and a secondary (primary?) outside threat to keep defenses honest against our inside game. Hopefully, that will be addressed in the upcoming recruiting period.

Yeah, because we couldn't have subbed Jarvis for Rogers because his 16%FG and 0-6 from 3 were carrying us  :D :D :D . Especially since Rogers plays defense.

Good point doc. 40 minutes and 16% is worth playing alittle of Rogers or holdman.  Even more sango would have been better.  At least he wouldn't have taken 6 3's. 

We were no where this season without Jarvis, but knowing when to say when is not just for SDSU fan's alcohol consumption. It applies to starters as well.

Looking forward to being "just a basketball fan" tonight without any hopes, expectations and fears. We are going to scout the arena for the two most obnoxious Oakland fans and give them our remaining tickets for the tournament to sit (and hopefully STAND) in front of the SDSU Jackasses section. How's that for leaving a legacy on our 2009 season? 

Let's face the facts from last night and to close the season: we shot extremely poorly, we didn't defend, didn't rebound, didn't design or execute an effective enough gameplan to be in position to win down the stretch. Add that up and we're home where we should probably be. It shouldn't and won't ever be handed to us, particularly in a tournament and on the road. That was the case. Season over. Enough of trying to pin the blame on one thing, its a compilation of bad parts and the assembly was a bad product which was removed from the shelf. We opened the door for teams to believe they can beat us and they did. The conference home winning streak was amazing and something that will now be more difficult than ever to reproduce. We need to recapture the attitude of a "bully on the block" and force our better resources, facilities, athletes and experience down some Summit throats. 

Interesting statistics from last night's game:

ORU

44.6 fg%

6.3% 3-point fg%  (1 of 16)

30 rebounds (versus SDSU's 41).... ouch!!!

9 turnovers

18 of 28 from the free throw line

Jarvis:  2 of 12 from the field including 0 of 6 from the 3-point line in 43 minutes

Hardy: 5 of 8 from the field and 0 (as in none) rebounds in 27 minutes

Stokes: 2 of 9 from the field including 1 of 7 from the 3-point line in 32 minutes

Sango: 5 of 6 from the field with 2 rebounds in 32 minutes

Ford: 1 of 3 from the field with 6 rebounds in 15 minutes

Lewis: 6 of 8 from the field with 12 rebounds in 37 minutes

Morrison: 4 of 10 from the field including 0 of 2 from the 3-point line along with 4 rebounds in 37 minutes

TheEagleman obviously did not view the game but from what i have read, have to agree with MM....we had a 9 pt lead with 9 minutes left and let it get away....good teams don't do that and this year, unfortunately, ORU wasn't good enough in the big games when it counted....we sorta went as Jarvis did....and he had a poor game last night from the sound of it....still, a good young nucleus for 2009-10 with DoMo, Hardy, Rogers, Stokes and Ford...hopefully, Pearson is the answer at the point....DBH will add some physical play and points off the bench....a great schedule is on tap....TheEagleman is trying to look at the bright side today despite the pain.....on the good side, ORU baseball is handling #7 Rice in the 6th.....Blue skies are ahead!.... :wink:

Good point doc. 40 minutes and 16% is worth playing alittle of Rogers or holdman.  Even more sango would have been better.  At least he wouldn't have taken 6 3's. 

We were no where this season without Jarvis, but knowing when to say when is not just for SDSU fan's alcohol consumption. It applies to starters as well.

Do you guys seriously think that if Rogers had been an improvement that Sutton wouldn't have played him? Check back in the posts at the beginning and middle of the season. I was (and am) a Rogers fan, but he has not made the breakthrough to college ball yet this year. Sutton tried to give him increasing minutes to get him ready until we had those breakdown games. I hope that he continues to work on his offense and defense in the off-season because I believe he has the raw tools, but he hasn't shown what he can do under pressure lately.

Holdman may still have had a knee injury keeping him back.

Do you guys seriously think that if Rogers had been an improvement that Sutton wouldn't have played him? Check back in the posts at the beginning and middle of the season. I was (and am) a Rogers fan, but he has not made the breakthrough to college ball yet this year. Sutton tried to give him increasing minutes to get him ready until we had those breakdown games. I hope that he continues to work on his offense and defense in the off-season because I believe he has the raw tools, but he hasn't shown what he can do under pressure lately.

Holdman may still have had a knee injury keeping him back.

+1

My belief is that coaches take the heat for losses and pass the praise to players when they win. That's a theory many coaches and great leaders take when it comes to taking blame and rewarding results.

We let off the gas last night. The game had a chance to be over before the crowd and refs took over.

We just let them off the hook last night.

I agree 100% with you Mike.  The coaches should take responsibility from their standpoint.  No way you can ever say the players lost the game as a coach.  But do you think the Coaches let off the gas intentionally? Or did our players running out of gas? And subsequently we had to pull back?