ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

I disagree with a lot if not everything in your post.  Seemed like we figured out how to get them on the ropes, then we stepped back and let 5,000 get in the game and went back to what we did to not match up. I don't understand.  Just like I will never understand having a 6 point lead Saturday with 9 minutes left and being in the DOUBLE BONUS and only shooting three free throws the rest of the game. To me that's where coaching comes in.  Shooting had nothing to do with that (or Saturday's) stretch. It was our defense and that went away.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

I tried to tell you before the season that we wouldn't be a good defensive team this year because we lost Yemi, Adam and Shawn. You didn't listen.

I tried to tell you earlier this week that we weren't as good as many of you thought we were. You didn't listen.

Please listen now... our coaching staff didn't lose the game. They didn't get out-rebounded by 11 tonight. They didn't miss 10 free throws. They didn't miss 15 three-pointers, and they didn't tell Jarvis to go 2-for-12 from the field. The coaches didn't get a 9-point lead and fail to close out the game.

This game was identical to ULL, New Mexico, Murray State, UALR, both NDSU games. The key moments came at different times, but the elements were all there.

BTW, the foul call on Marcus at the end of regulation was simply awful. Almost no contact at all. Would not have been called in the first 5 minutes.

Also, you don't foul on purpose with 28 seconds left and a three point lead. Makes no sense at all.

Next year will be better. Trust me when I say that.

We listened; we just didn't want to agree. 

We're not paid to follow this program - a little denial every now and then helps the medicine go down.  :wink:

"Next year will be better.  Trust me when I say that." 

Really??

How you figurin' that??  :|

We're not paid to follow this program - a little denial every now and then helps the medicine go down.  :wink:

Really??

I removed your "mistake post" for you there, OT :wink:

ORUBB can say that next year will be better because EVERY sports fan holds out hope for the next season, and for the next game.  It's part of what makes following sports so much fun.  Sports fans, more than just about anyone else, are eternal optimists.  That's why I said in another post that every fan keeps a  little hope for his team in his back pocket.  No matter how bad things look, there's always hope.

Beyond that though, there's also opinion, and THAT'S what I think ORUBB was giving :wink:!

I don't want anyone to say our players didn't show up tonight. I sat 5 feet from the court and this was the worst display of officiating I have seen in any capacity. Sure we missed a lot of shots and lacked some defensive stops, but the refs single handedly (again) took control of this game, took us out of it and let 5,000 in the game when they shouldn't have been. It,s hard to play 5 on 8 in a sh!+hole like the place we played tonight. You wouldn't believe the lack of class from the fans and the Mickey Mouse assembly of this place. Our players weren't put in good position to play the game by our staff on several occasions and it cost us when the stakes were highest. We'll never take the next step until we control the game from our bench instead or letting the dog execute their gameplan and we don't adjust with authority and superior athleticism. 

I'm posting a link and for anyone that was at the game/venue please take a look and if you don't mind post a comment as to why you feel that way.  I'm curious I wasn't there but didn't hear any bad comments.  Here's the link (check the poll)

http://bisonsports.net/BSNBlog/

NO!!!  THAT was Stephen F. Austin . . .

No, SFA had a rating of 141 that year.  I think my statement stands - it could be...  :wink:

No, SFA had a rating of 141 that year.  I think my statement stands - it could be...  :wink:

I don't care what their raking was, Stephen F. Austin was our worst loss - ever :evil:!!

I don't care what their raking was, Stephen F. Austin was our worst loss - ever :evil:!!

OK, OK, so noted, my friend!!  :roll::lol:

I'm posting a link and for anyone that was at the game/venue please take a look and if you don't mind post a comment as to why you feel that way.  I'm curious I wasn't there but didn't hear any bad comments.  Here's the link (check the poll)

http://bisonsports.net/BSNBlog/

Bisonbacker, I'm rather sorry to see a few of the comments that I have on our board, because I feel it's VERY important, if you have a quality program, to win graciously AND lose graciously.  However, a loss like last night leaves a lot of raw nerves, and people say thing that they might not otherwise say.

As far as ORU not winning outside of Tulsa - keep in mind that we have NOT been the perennial one seed - in fact, here is a list of our seedings over the past ten years:

1999 - 1

2000 - 5

2001 - 6

2002 - 2

2003 - 4

2004 - 4

2005 - 1

2006 - 1

2007 - 1

2008 - 1

2009 - 2

One thing the many detractors fail to consider in ORU's success during the four years that the tournament was in Tulsa that ORU won the first seed each of those years during the regular season.  I know that NDSU is proud of the fact that they only lost two games in conference this year, as well they should be.  It's a great accomplishment.  But ORU only lost two last year

So our overall success in the years prior to the tournament being in Tulsa needs to be considered as well.  The chances of a four or six seed winning it all just aren't that great.

I'm rather sorry to see a few of the comments that I have on our board, because I feel it's VERY important, if you have a quality program, to win graciously AND lose graciously.  However, a loss like last night leaves a lot of raw nerves, and people say thing that they might not otherwise say.

Guilty as charged...I need to sit in timeout for a while!  :-(

Really??

Addition by subtraction...

I disagree with a lot if not everything in your post. And yes the coaches did get a 9 point lead tonight when they FINALLY decided to press or not allow SDSU to walk up the court and run their offense (that we apparently couldn't defend straight up) then randomly abandoned it for no reason. What happened to the "when you get someone on the ropes, put your foot on their throat" idea?  Seemed like we figured out how to get them on the ropes, then we stepped back and let 5,000 get in the game and went back to what we did to not match up. I don't understand.  Just like I will never understand having a 6 point lead Saturday with 9 minutes left and being in the DOUBLE BONUS and only shooting three free throws the rest of the game. To me that's where coaching comes in.  Shooting had nothing to do with that (or Saturday's) stretch. It was our defense and that went away.

We didn't press the entire game, we don't have a press. We turned up the defensive intensity and relaxed when we got a nine point lead, just like we have over and over and over all season. That's not coaching, it's players.

Do you really think our coaches let up? Did Scott say something like, "OK guys, we have a 9 point lead with 10 minutes left. That should be enough. Start thinking about where you'd like to eat pre game meal on Monday." Are you serious? Do you follow this team? How many leads have we blown this season just like that one? A dozen? More?

When players don't listen and don't play hard for 40 minutes, this is what happens, and it happened a lot this year. The coaches were a broken record for the last 5 months, and it went in one ear and out the other.

Players win games... Coaches lose games. It's that simple.

Why?  Coaches recruit the players and coaches cash the paychecks.

Leaders are paid to lead teams to success. You must adapt to your personnel to achieve the best results.

You don't say that the ONLY reason a business is bad is because of it's sales people.  An organization fails as a whole.  The portion that deserves the most criticism in most cases is the leadership. Let's use Oral Roberts University as an example. 

Since you don't think players lose games, I guess our guys should have a clear conscience this morning, huh?

Addition by subtraction...

+1 Exactly.

ORUBB, hopefully we are being seperated by mileage right now. Really? Do I follow this team? We disrupted their offense for 5 minutes by doing something different defensively...go on a 15-0 run, then abandon that and go back to being dominated the remaining 15 minutes of the game. That's Shouldn't happen consistently. 

Bisonbacker, PLEASE do not take anything I have said in an attack to your program. You guys deservedly were the class of the conference this year and I was "envious" to see how your program stayed cool last night despite the Centenary run to walk away with a win. Same goes for SDSU, their gameplan forced us to be uncomfortable all night and outweighed ours and we had no answer. A great win for their program and they should be proud.

Now my comments on the tourney. We are sitting in the front row (only two ORU fams on our side of the gyn) and cheering for our team from the tip. Standing until we score, as we have done for years. 20+ SDSU adult fans are behind and next to us screaming for us to "SIT DOWN!!!!" or they will call security etc etc etc!!! We calmly say we'll be happy to sit when we score, but we'll be standing a lot all night, we expect it to be a good game and they will be too. A lady grabs a chair from press row pulls it on front of us and stands on it and starts dancing to black our view. Ushers ask her to please find her seat, so she decides to pour pop AND ice cream all over our chairs and jackets, etc each time we stand up to applaud our team. I paid money for those seats as much as the next person and I may be wrong but I was at a basketball game, not a movie theater. Classless fans by SDSU no better way to show that you don't deserve to host this tourney than the display those folks showed. Tourney officials and staff were great (refs not included) and putting on a good show despite 5,000 otherwise not appreciative fans, who blatantly displayed what it looks like to "have never been there before".

Donkeylarry is right this one is on the coaches.

...So you believe that our players just decided on their own to start picking up the defense at halfcourt instead of falling back despite the coaches?  They have the ability to stay in the game and not follow the gameplan without consequence?  That sounds like an ever larger problem...

::) no comment

ORUBB, hopefully we are being seperated by mileage right now. Really? Do I follow this team? So you believe that our players just decided on their own to start picking up the defense at halfcourt instead of falling back despite the coaches?  They have the ability to stay in the game and not follow the gameplan without consequence?  That sounds like an ever larger problem. We disrupted their offense for 5 minutes by doing something different defensively...go on a 15-0 run, then abandon that and go back to being dominated the remaining 15 minutes of the game. That's the players idea? Is this streetball? Its exactly "same song broken record" and exactly what's to sickening. No gametime adaptation to adversity. Always figuring it out at home after a heartbreaking loss. Shouldn't happen consistently. 

Bisonbacker, PLEASE do not take anything I have said in an attack to your program. You guys deservedly were the class of the conference this year and I was "envious" to see how your program stayed cool last night despite the Centenary run to walk away with a win. Same goes for SDSU, their gameplan forced us to be uncomfortable all night and outweighed ours and we had no answer. A great win for their program and they should be proud.

Now my comments on the tourney. We are sitting in the front row (only two ORU fams on our side of the gyn) and cheering for our team from the tip. Standing until we score, as we have done for years. 20+ SDSU adult fans are behind and next to us screaming for us to "SIT DOWN!!!!" or they will call security etc etc etc!!! We calmly say we'll be happy to sit when we score, but we'll be standing a lot all night, we expect it to be a good game and they will be too. A lady grabs a chair from press row pulls it on front of us and stands on it and starts dancing to black our view. Ushers ask her to please find her seat, so she decides to pour pop AND ice cream all over our chairs and jackets, etc each time we stand up to applaud our team. I paid money for those seats as much as the next person and I may be wrong but I was at a basketball game, not a movie theater. Classless fans by SDSU no better way to show that you don't deserve to host this tourney than the display those folks showed. Tourney officials and staff were great (refs not included) and putting on a good show despite 5,000 otherwise not appreciative fans, who blatantly displayed what it looks like to "have never been there before".

Apprently those fans weren't the only classless Jackrabbits. Here is something one of the posters at Bisonville wintessed in SF....

This is Mr. Burgundy posting from SDBison's computer....I have no clue my password.  Sorry.  The player from SDSU was Mackenzie Casey.  I was in the bathroom when he approached the 5 SUU players who I actually was talking with.  Asking them to take it easy on NDSU if we were to play them, everyone is laughing.  Casey walks into the bathroom and said something that should not be repeated, to say it politely.  He then headbutted one of the SUU guards (Davis) and the SUU players tried to get everyone out.  I cannot stress how professional and calm these 5 kids were. I am saying this to get the facts CLEAR, and I was cheering for the Jacks HARD last night.  I have always respected their program.  The five SUU players ran out of the bathroom to the area between the beer stands and the bathrooms when this kid comes spilling out.  Casey at that point is swearing and asking for a fight with his SHIRT OFF! You can't make this up.  It was the worst display of ANYTHING i have ever witnessed.  The police were involved, and I have no idea what did happen.  The coaches were talking about this at the press table later on, so people are aware of it.  Lets be clear, this was not a rip on SDSU, but one player was a joke and I was proud of how the SUU players handled this.  This could have been a huge...huge fight.  Alot of Bison and Jack fans saw this, so it isn't like I was the only witness.  Hundreds of fans were buying beer and saw him asking for the fight, using poor language and running around with his shirt off.  Made me sick.  Alot of kids, parents, etc.  I still was cheering HARD for the Jacks, it was a great atmosphere last night and SF is doing a great job as the host.  This situation was pathetic and unfortunate.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=260170#post260170