ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

I respectfully disagree Senior (thanks for sending the hoody, it arrived today).  NDSU has had a good season.  They won their bracketbuster.  Probably stands the best chance of representing the conference well.  I won't get bent out of shape if they win this thing.  Oakland on the other hand....

I'm glad it got there Otis!

Honestly I'm just not a fan of their story. This 1-shot kind of chance isn't a program that I really respect...I think it's cheap - but that's just my opinion.

If they win it, I think they'll have a great chance of upsetting someone in that first game - I just don't like them.

Goodnight folks  8-)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

Coaches, players get the blame tonight. I'm not too sorry to see this season end. Last year we shut down everyone's star, this year a lot of nobodies had career nights against us. Including tonight.

P.S. #1- If the CBI comes calling, which I doubt, please just say no.

P.S. #2- If I have to listen to Brent Mackey stumble through another ORU-hating comment, I'm punching my computer screen.

I know that it had to come to an end eventually but I am grieving the end of our NCAA tournament run.  Three years that could have been four is really something and I am very proud of that.  I had hoped that we could have continued it for another year.  In spite of my disappointment in the outcome, and our play, I am proud of our team and look forward to starting a new streak next year.

I am going to bed now (and I'm still wondering why the cameras never captured any those beautiful Dakota women that lakesbison talked about).  Talk to you later.

I am anxious to see the boxscore and try to determine the keys to the game - although I think we have already listed them: poor perimeter shooting, poor free throw shooting and rebounding. I did not see the game, but you have to hand it to the Jackrabbits. They took advantage of the energy provided by a partisan crowd and made plays when they had to.

As in most close games, there are lots of "ifs and buts". The bottom line is that they out-played us.

I know that it had to come to an end eventually but I am grieving the end of our NCAA tournament run.  Three years that could have been four is really something and I am very proud of that.  I had hoped that we could have continued it for another year.  In spite of my disappointment in the outcome, and our play, I am proud of our team and look forward to starting a new streak next year.

I don't think any of us realized how much Yemi, Moses and Adam contributed to our successes last season.  Many of us questioned Yemi's value to be on the floor all of the time when it limited our offense to four players.  Also, we questioned whether Moses had the long-range capabilities to consistently hit from 3-point range.  What we didn't realize was what a lock-down type of defensive player did for the rest of the team, or what another 3-point threat (regardless of accuracy or point production) did to open up another player like Robert Jarvis.  Even without Caleb and Ken, we had a quality team last year and, although we had a lot of good players this season, we didn't have enough to be championship caliber. 

We have a good nucleus, along with DBH, to look forward to and mold.  Let's hope that we have a great recruiting season and an off-season program that puts everyone on a course for increasing their capabilities.

We do need to cultivate and/or find perimeter shooters to open things up on the inside.

BTW, South Dakota State has an RPI ranking of 291.......

We do need to cultivate and/or find perimeter shooters to open things up on the inside.

BTW, South Dakota State has an RPI ranking of 291.......

Could be the worst loss in the program's history...

Guys, before we get too down on Brent Mackey, keep in mind that he's a coach, and looks at the way guys play with a critical eye, because he wants to see them get better.  He is a friend of the ORU program, a friend to our coach staff, and probably does what he does unpaid - at least the color guys USED to be unpaid.  He probably does it for the love of the program.  I bet he'd be very distressed to think we thought he was uncomplimentary to the team. 

Let's give the guy a little break, okay?  His one desire, this whole season, has been the same as ours, and that was to see the Eagles win.  He really was on our side!

I am sure Brent Mackey's intentions are good and that he is a great guy....it's just that he is relentlessly negative about the team and players. And he is supposed to be OUR guy.

Un-freaking-believable.

jmg1984 is right:  this is a program-defining moment right now - for us.

In just two games - against two programs in their Division-1 infancy - ORU basketball has now been set back four years.

And from a team that had crippling issues most of the season, we just lost two first-team all-conference picks, plus our best defensive player.

Has there  been a more important spring/summer recruiting period for this coaching staff?

See ya'll at Johnson Stadium...  :|

Hax is reading stats.  A reserve GUARD got 11 rebounds.

often times missed 3pt FGs come off as "long" rebounds so given the numerous missed shots we had from beyond the arc, not entirely surprising for a guard to grab double digit boards with that many "long rebound" opportunities...

This is disgusting and embarrassing...

Wow.

Yeah, hard to argue with that. SDSU = RPI #291.

Could be the worst loss in the program's history...

NO!!!  THAT was Stephen F. Austin . . .

TheEagleman is embarrassed....so much for our Senior leadership....don't blame it on the refs....from what i have read here, we did it to ourselves tonight with poor 3pt and FT shooting....oh well, Let's get Rice tomorrow!... :-P

I don't want anyone to say our players didn't show up tonight. I sat 5 feet from the court and this was the worst display of officiating I have seen in any capacity. Sure we missed a lot of shots and lacked some defensive stops, but the refs single handedly (again) took control of this game, took us out of it and let 5,000 in the game when they shouldn't have been. It,s hard to play 5 on 8 in a sh!+hole like the place we played tonight. You wouldn't believe the lack of class from the fans and the Mickey Mouse assembly of this place. Our players weren't put in good position to play the game by our staff on several occasions and it cost us when the stakes were highest. We'll never take the next step until we control the game from our bench instead or letting the dog execute their gameplan and we don't adjust with authority and superior athleticism. 

Expound on what specific steps we could have taken to make a difference....

I am interested in hearing more details of your 'on-site' recap of the game.

I'll do it without question.  Not a good idea to spout it all out tonight. I'm just frustrated with some of our fans questioning the heart or our guys among other things.

I tried to tell you before the season that we wouldn't be a good defensive team this year because we lost Yemi, Adam and Shawn. You didn't listen.

I tried to tell you earlier this week that we weren't as good as many of you thought we were. You didn't listen.

Please listen now... our coaching staff didn't lose the game. They didn't get out-rebounded by 11 tonight. They didn't miss 10 free throws. They didn't miss 15 three-pointers, and they didn't tell Jarvis to go 2-for-12 from the field. The coaches didn't get a 9-point lead and fail to close out the game.

This game was identical to ULL, New Mexico, Murray State, UALR, both NDSU games. The key moments came at different times, but the elements were all there.

BTW, the foul call on Marcus at the end of regulation was simply awful. Almost no contact at all. Would not have been called in the first 5 minutes.

Also, you don't foul on purpose with 28 seconds left and a three point lead. Makes no sense at all.

Next year will be better. Trust me when I say that.