ORU vs SDSU

MrsSmith

....we really had a mediocre squad this year and still kicked your A$$ 2 out of 3 including a 9 pt win up on your floor when we were playing some of our worst ball of the season early on....like most ORU fans, TheEagleman can't wait for our boys in blue to administer another bit of whoopA$$ on your fighting Jackrabbits....it's gonna be a lot of fun...... :-D

"Kicked our a$$ 2 out of 3"?  We played two close games.  We each lost one of those and in both cases, we each should have won the one that we lost.  The other game was at Frost.  You outscored us by 9 in the first half and we played even in the second half.  That was a 9 point win, not exactly an "a$$ kicking" even though you were in control pretty much the whole game. 

As for the teams.  You might have been mediocre, but we were the youngest team in conference, not to mention our 6'10 juco transfer missed the whole year b/c of injuries.  How will each team be next year?  Who knows.  You lose some good starters, but add a couple quality trues to go along w/ a couple real good underclassmen (not really sure who you have coming off redshirt).  We return everyone and add a couple good redshirts as well as possibly our best recruiting class ever (3 of the 4 incoming recruits will play right away).  Oak and ORU are easily the top two, I just hope we fall in after that.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• bballmangc

• OKC Eagle

• ORUTerry

Be an interesting year next year in conference!

Yes....and no.

I see Oakland as being THEE team.  I haven't looked at their non-conference yet but I think this could be a team similar to NDSU last year, at least record wise (26-7).

Right after them or even challenging them is you guys.  You guys have some question marks (like everybody) but if guys like DBH and McClintock (possibly the 2 best recruits in the Summit) play well early and often you'll be fine.

After that is a crapshoot for the next 5 spots.  I think SDSU and IPFW challenge for that 3rd spot.  Ater that 4-6 will be IUPUI, NDSU and SUU, in some type of order.  NDSU loses alot but brings in a nice class (Saul likes to redshirt though) and they seem confident on the guys they have replacing the big four, even though three of the four starters who left logged serious minutes the past few years. 

One thing everyone can probably agree on is the cellar of the Summit.  UMKC, Centenary and WIU should firmly be in the bottom three.

So you're wanting credit for SDSU having a slight chance at possibly being the lead dog in a below average pack of a two-team league A YEAR FROM NOW??

Open the champagne!! Order the rings!! Plan the parade!! Oh wait... the forecast says its going to be 8 degrees and snowing for the next 7 months.

Is this how they do it in DII? Draw up your own conclusions based on having done absolutely nothing the previous four seasons?

Ok then, I pick UMKC to win the conference.

SD Jack you are getting beat up a little on this thing but at least you are bringing up reasonable pts. on most things.

So this begs the question....Is it a good thing that a team returns everyone from what was 20 loss team or a bad thing?

I will say that I have always admired the optimism of the SDSU fans, every year is going to be the year they turn things around, and I guess it is bound to happen eventually. 

So you're wanting credit for SDSU having a slight chance at possibly being the lead dog in a below average pack of a two-team league A YEAR FROM NOW??

Open the champagne!! Order the rings!! Plan the parade!! Oh wait... the forecast says its going to be 8 degrees and snowing for the next 7 months.

Is this how they do it in DII? Draw up your own conclusions based on having done absolutely nothing the previous four seasons?

Ok then, I pick UMKC to win the conference.

I'm not saying we'll win the conference, I think I'm being realistic talking about 3rd.  And yes, at this point in our program I think a 3rd place finish would bode well for us.  That (hopefully) means we're above .500.  We need to breathe some life back into the program after some rough sailing since going D1.  A 3rd place finish where we are in contention would be great.  A 3 seed and another (hopefully) win in Sioux Falls would be great as well.  Baby steps.

So this begs the question....Is it a good thing that a team returns everyone from what was 20 loss team or a bad thing?

I will say that I have always admired the optimism of the SDSU fans, every year is going to be the year they turn things around, and I guess it is bound to happen eventually. 

The SDSU fans have asked the same question (as far as is it good that we return everybody).  I look at it as we return some good players (Callahan, Sargent, Cordova and Williams are a year older and all are capable of being all-Summit).  We finally have some upperclassmen and we are the deepest we've been since going D1, by far.  We actually have competition at several spots, which is a plus.  We're the only Summit team who returns their top 7 players and only one of two that returns their leading scorer, hopefully that and the addition of 4-5 new players accounts for something. 

As for the comment about SDSU fans being like Cubs fans, that's not true.  I don't know of many or any who predicted big things any of the past 5 years.  I know that optimism around the program is the highest it's been in a long time. 

hey darren....define reasonable....... :-D......this guy from SDSU has spent too many cold nights in the barn....actually thinking these jacko..er, jackrabbits who lost 20+ and can't win on the road will contend for 3rd in the conference next year....haha!.....3rd?....that and $1 might get you a stale cup of coffee in Brookings these days..... :-D

Eagleman,

From what i hear he might be right as far as next year.

Pretty tame stuff compared to what i see from some Tulsa fans and what they say about ORU.

It really doesn't matter until next fall :-)

SDSU will be improved and they will challenge in the Summit. They had a good recruiting class. Nate Wolters was a good pick up for them. Hopefully they can pick up some quality non-conference wins.

Eagleman,

From what i hear he might be right as far as next year.

Pretty tame stuff compared to what i see from some Tulsa fans and what they say about ORU.

It really doesn't matter until next fall :-)

You got that right, darrenj.  Best way to avoid all that is stay away from their board.  I haven't been on there for going on two years.  Going on there just isn't worth the aggravation.

TheEagleman already has his appetite whetted for a little basketball...am glad that the Summit will be more competitive....nobody wants to see ORU winning every game by 20+ points....good close games are what it's all about and exciting stuff....from the sounds of it, ORU, OU, NDSU, IUPUI and SDSU will all be very close next year....bring it on!.... :mrgreen:

SDSU will be improved and they will challenge in the Summit. They had a good recruiting class. Nate Wolters was a good pick up for them. Hopefully they can pick up some quality non-conference wins.

Man I hope you are right!  I don't see how we couldn't be improved but challenging for the Summit, at least for the majority of the year, would be just huge for the program. 

Wolters was a huge get.  There is talk he comes in and starts or at least plays the majority of the minutes at point.  Point guard really was a weakness for us last year.  To bring in a 6'3 point who can handle and ball, score and drive will be huge.  Newcomers.....

Tony Fiegen 6'8 F....SD Gatorade POTY...SD Co-POTY....set numerous career record for class A State champ...very athletic big, averaged 19p 11r while shooting 65%...school records in field goals and points.

Chad White 6'7 G....SD Co-POTY along w/ his teammate Fiegen...both guys commited to SDSU as sophmores....numerous career records for class A State Champ...a do-it-all kid who could even play point (or point forward) he averaged 16p 6r 4a....his AAU coach said had he not verballed early or gotten hurt he would have gone much higher than the Summit League.

Nate Wolters 6'3 PG....Averaged 24p 6r 6a 3.5stls while shooting 61% from the field for a St. Cloud Minnesota team that went 30-1 and their only loss was in the State semis to Hopkins (31-0 and ranked 10th in USAToday and had 6 D1 players on roster) and Wolters was the games leading scorer and leading assist guy.  A balhhandler and driver with a good enough jumper who looks to, if not start, then play big minutes right away.

Brayden Carlson 6'5 G....SD all-state first team....first Brookings native in 15 years to suit up for Jacks...averaged 22p 8r 4a 2stl and shot 53% from the field...future point guard who can handle and hit the trey. Will redshirt.

James Rader 6'8 F....coming off redshirt....Colorado all-state 2nd team...real athletic kid who can bury the three. More of an outside player in HS the word is his redshirt year was used to groom him to play inside.  If that is the case, w/ Fiegen and others, SDSU will have some very athletic bigs who can step out and stroke it.

Dwight Pederson 6'8 F....transfer from NAIA school....led NAIA school (U of Sioux Falls) in 3 pt shooting as a true.  Another athletic big....

Two more very talented kids from the class of 2011 and 2012 have already verballed and talk is a Iowa State verbal might also switch over to SDSU.

What a recruiting class for SDSU!.....we might as well just concede the Summit title to them now..... :lol:

Hey Jack. Thanks for giving everyone some reading material on the bored board  8-). We are definitely excited about our incoming class and glad to see that the Summit is turning into a league that perhaps has the potential of fielding two or three teams annually that will give the eventual winner some serious competition.

I believe that you have one of those teams this next season for all of the reasons that you have so aptly (and perhaps verbosely - but again, thanks for the reading material) supplied. Congrats for beating us in SD and coming close in Tulsa. That is truly not bad for your first season of post-season eligibility!

You have been a gentleman (person?) on this board and I appreciate the tone of your posts. Some of our posters will try to provoke more of a response but it seems that you have seen through the smokescreen :-D.

Here's hoping that both of our teams' incoming class is what we hope it to be. Oh . . . by the way . . . the next time SDSU comes to Tulsa, I hope they are prepared for a serious whupping. :| We were much too kind to the Jacks on the basketball floor last year. I am sure that we will do our darndest to make sure it doesn't happen again. :wink:

Thanks Ron, I really appreciate the kind words.

I figured some wouldn't be thrilled to see me post the SDSU recruiting class on an ORU board.  But I also know that some people, like me, like to keep up on the other Summit teams.  Also know that I researched the ORU recruiting class and even made a post about it on our board.....where I actually defended your class.  For the record, the big Alaskan and the Carolina point guard were fantastic gets for you guys. 

And yes, I expect that Sutton and his boys will be well prepared for a little payback next time we meet. 

The win in Sioux Falls was great and part of that was b/c it was against ORU.  That's a compliment. 

My post about your recruiting class (thread is 4 pages long);  http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8377&page=4

Ron - where are you from in Canada?

I lived in Dauphin Manitoba briefly.  I was recruited to play at Brandon University by Ron McCutcheon.  At that time (18 years ago?) they had Eldon Irving who was a transfer from Pitt and Joey Vickery who played on the Canadian National Team.  I have fond memories of my time up there. 

You also are probably aware that one of SDSU's best players, Kai Williams, is from Regina.