Roster Discussion

ORUTerry

Notice that Vealy is number 44.  Jarvis is number 10.  Wonder what that's about.  Veteran players don't usually give up thier numbers to newcomers

my first thought was that maybe he went back to his high school number because i remembered him wearing forty something...but it looks like marvel wore 44.

H_04finals5Ab_2.jpg

i sure hope marchello is back, i really think he could be the goto guy the next two years.  it makes no sense to freely give up your number to a new guy though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

• Old Titan

Classes started on Thursday - maybe some of the students on the board can tell us whether they're seeing all of the guys on the roster on campus.

In the pros, if you're a rookie or a new player, and you want a veterans number, you pay him for it.

Wonder how badly Jarvis wanted that #10?  :wink:

Seriously, maybe Jarvis just really wanted it, and Marchello didn't care that much.

Guys change numbers all the time:  Yemi (#52 to #3) and Josh Atkinson (#4 to #3) are recent examples that pop to mind...

Okay, I have to say, I'm rather proud of myself - I seem to have received the dubious distinction of picking up the FIRST and ONLY "boo" rating given on the board! 

Thanks to whomever!

Okay, I have to say, I'm rather proud of myself - I seem to have received the dubious distinction of picking up the FIRST and ONLY "boo" rating given on the board! 

Thanks to whomever!

I got one too!  You can't please every person

RM is getting hammered with the boos

2 reasons this will get better...

a) I just set the minimum voting limit to a post count of 350 so that should eliminate most people just randomly handing out garbage votes. (most users with a post count over 350 are quality...)

B) In order to Cheer or Boo a poster you not only must have a post count greater than 350 but you must be a member of the Golden Eagle group... that means no users belonging to The Blue Seats will be able to vote.

2 reasons this will get better...

a) I just set the minimum voting limit to a post count of 350 so that should eliminate most people just randomly handing out garbage votes. (most users with a post count over 350 are quality...)

B) In order to Cheer or Boo a poster you not only must have a post count greater than 350 but you must be a member of the Golden Eagle group... that means no users belonging to The Blue Seats will be able to vote.

I don't know what the boo rating is but had to post just to see if I have enough posts to get to vote.

You could count them down - "40 to go."  "39 to go." It wouldn't take too long to get so that you could boo someone!

With a projected starting lineup of Liberty, King, Vealy, Ogunoye and Ehambe (starters/returning players from last year) - a case could be made that everyone (most?) of them will be pressed for playing time and maybe even for a starting position.

I would conjecture that Liberty (pg) and King (center) are the only locks for their positions. You have to put Sango down as a contributor; he has shown that he brings energy & intensity when he enters a game. If Kelvin can add a shooting touch to his defense, he will get quality minutes.

As darrenj mentioned, the coaches (and other players) are very high on Jarvis. They say he is a good shooter with almost unlimited range. He can also play the point. Look for Jarvis to crack the lineup.

You have to think that Allen and Lewis will seriously compete for playing time - they have been here for a year and know the system. The prep school kids: Dunn, Morton and Hardy - they are one year removed from high school and should bring a consequent level of maturity/talent.

Stokes is a good player and still could compete for a slot, but you have to think he might be a red-shirt candidate. Howard is a bit of an unknown, but Rivals had him as a three star - arguably our highest rated "recruit" - and he is a walk-on!!

My point is that we are going to have some tremendous competition during our practices and the coaches have a lot of evaluation to do. This Canada trip will in effect serve as "try-outs" - where the coaches can experiment with lineups and see how players perform in game situations.

i.e.:

Point Guard:    Liberty versus Sango

Shooting Guard:  Ehambe versus Jarvis versus Dunn versus Stokes

Wing:  Ogunoye versus Allen versus Howard

Power Forward:  Vealy versus Lewis versus Hardy

Center:  King versus Morton

Many of you probably remember that last year, Okla St. struggled as the year went along and much of it was attributed to the lack of quality practice sessions b/c they had so few players after injuries and players that were asked to leave.

I really feel that with all of these quality guys on the team that they will improve quickly and be a pretty cohesive unit come Jan.

I was gone for a couple of days and just got around to reading the basketball prospectus and have the following observations:

Adam Liberty:  It says the "coaching staff wants him to push the ball more this season". I sure hope this happens as I thought we were too slow last year and just let defenses settle in without challenging them. If opponents go to sleep, run a secondary break and try to pick up a cheap basket; you can always pull the ball out and run the half-court set.

It also says that Adam is the cousin of former ORU point guard Jonathan Bluitt. I could swear that I heard Bluitt on the radio last year (interviewed by Geoff?) state that Adam is NOT his cousin.

Yemi Ogunoye:  The prospectus says he is "expected to fill a significant leadership role" and "expected to start again at small forward". It also says that he "has worked hard to develop a reliable jump shot" and he "owns a solid 3-point range but rarely shoots". I sure hope he has a green light to shoot - at least some - so that defenses won't sag off of him.

Kelvin Sango:  It also says that Kelvin is "working on improving his jump shot" - which we all know would greatly enhance his worth and playing time.

Marchello Vealy:  It states that Marchello "is a major key to ORU's hopes this season", and that he is an "explosive athlete", and a "streaky & sneaky player". Vealy is versatile and can do a lot of things for us this year. We just need him to be consistent, work hard and take what the opponents give him.

Curtis Allen:  He is described as "exceptionally fast in the open court" - which will be handy if we try to speed the game game up a bit. Allen is left-handed and said to be a good shooter.

Marcus Lewis:  The prospectus describes him as a "rugged power forward" who "has an 'old school' low post game". We need his presence and rebounding around the basket. Nice to have his size and heft available.

Jonathan Dunn:  He is described as a "confident player" who is "considered a leader despite his youth". That is an interesting and positive description. It also states that he has "strong enough ball handling skills to see time at the point". I have heard good things about this kid and his ability. A tall (future) point guard who can see over defenses would be a nice thing to have in distributing the ball to a sharpshooting 2 guard.

Andre Hardy:  He is listed at 6'6" and described as a "rugged, under-sized power forward". Let's hope he is a player like TU's Jarius Glenn, who was a bit under-sized but played tough and was a difference maker. It also states that he is a "strong, aggressive and athletic player".  He will need to be to play power forward at his size.

Robert Jarvis:  He is a JUCO all-American and mentioned as a "back-up" for Adam Liberty at point guard. Though small, he is strong and bench presses 300 lbs. He is described as "similar in style to Tyrone Tiggs". He is supposed to be a great outside shooter (a bit streaky) and shot 88% from the FT line last year.

Tim Morton: He is descibed as a "raw, but promising big man", who is "still refining his offensive skills". He is supposed to be a good defender and rebounder. It will be interesting if we red-shirt him to let him gain experience - though he is a prep school player who is one year removed from high school.

Kyron Stokes:  He is described as "one of the top prep guards in Texas" who is an "excellent shooter". His current injury is unfortunate, but if he is a great shooter/scorer, I'm not sure you can keep him on the bench with a red-shirt.

Good post, Terry. I really think Yemi will have his best season yet this year. From what we've heard so far about the players, its seems like Dunn and Jarvis' descriptions would be reversed. I know Adam is our starting point, but reports were saying Jarvis could step in as a 2 guard and start despite his lack of height. Jarvis seems like he is a speedy guard anyway. This will be fun to see.

The competition for the shooting guard and wing spots is going to be intense:

Shooting guard:  Ehambe, Jarvis, Allen and Dunn

Wing:  Ogunoye, Sango, Allen, Howard

There was a time, just a few years ago, when any one of these players would have been starters with no competition. We appear to be blessed with a lot of depth. The coaching staff will be hard pressed to make decisions on who to play - when.

What will we see out of King this season?  Not only did he take to D-I level basketball very nicely as the season progressed last year, but he will no longer be in the shadow of the Mid-Con's scoring leader.  I think he could dominate the inside game this year.