Roster Discussion

ORUTerry

anybody seen or heard anything about Spice lately? Seems when I examine each player on the roster, he's the only person that I haven't heard mentioned lately...

I'm so intuitive it hurts.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

• Old Titan

Have heard that we might start practice with at least 17 players on the court......

Have heard that we might start practice with at least 17 players on the court......

Thirteen scholies and four walk-ons?

I guess you'd have to assume...

Scholarships:

1.  Adam Liberty

2.  Moses Ehambe

3.  Yemi Ogunoye

4.  Shawn King

5.  Marchello Vealy

6.  Kelvin Sango

7.  Curtis Allen

8.  Marcus Lewis

9.  Jonathan Dunn

10. Clement N'gom

11. Tim Morton

12. Kyron Stokes

13. Robert Jarvis

Walk-on:

14. Matt S.

15. Jahaziel Howard

16. Andre Hardy

17. Ben Haynes

How many of the new freshman will redshirt?  It looks like we already have 9 players who expect to get playing time next year. 

1.  Adam Liberty

2.  Moses Ehambe

3.  Yemi Ogunoye

4.  Shawn King

5.  Marchello Vealy

6.  Kelvin Sango

7.  Curtis Allen

8.  Marcus Lewis

9. Robert Jarvis

With all those players already looking for minutes it would be tough to get any more people in there (if the above are playing well).  Seems like at least 4 players will start as redshirts, you could see all 3 cornerstone kids redshirt and maybe leave stokes and howard to play but still that is an 11 player bench to split up time.  And it seems like sutton usually only goes 8 or 9 deep anyway. 

Obviously, again barring injury, you can't redshirt any of the 9 that you listed so I almost think you redshirt five guys if that's possible...Stokes, Dunn, N'gom, Morton, Howard, and make Hardy active player number 10 since I really don't know much about him. And then Ben and Matt are your cleanup crew during your blowout games. That's 12 actives and 5 redshirts...boy do we have a deep roster.

But how do you redshirt any of the Cornerstone guys? They are arguably the most proven players we gotten in the last 10+ years... So nice they are 4 year guys.

I have a feeling some of these same discussions are going on in the basketball office.  When practice starts I imagine Scott Sutton will be telling these guys, we only have a limited number of minutes to play each game, and you'll be awarded those minutes based on your performance in practice.  I bet there will be some pretty spirited practices coming up this fall.

The numbers don't work.... I doubt that Hardy came all the way to Oklahoma to walk-on. There have to be some changes or rearranging to the roster. I also suspect that several players will be red-shirted - but who and how many will probably be determined during the Canada trip.

Look for the Canada trip to be a sort of "try-out" for playing time and a place on the roster (red-shirt).

But how do you redshirt any of the Cornerstone guys? They are arguably the most proven players we gotten in the last 10+ years... So nice they are 4 year guys.

I don't think these kids were ranked anywhere coming out of high school.  And one or even two of them may have been a package deal.  I don't think we know what we are truly getting until they step on the court.  Prep School kids are only there to play basketball and usually don't play the hardest schedule so their numbers could be inflated too.  But we will just have to wait and see to what they can actually do on a Division one level. 

Tim Morton (6'8" post player) was ranked the 61st best player in Texas last Spring. And I have heard that the coaches were impressed by what they saw from Dunn. All three of these guys played significant minutes on a Cornerstone team that beat God's Academy (a very well known prep school/basketball factory) in the finals of a tournament in Mississippi.

No doubt the cornerstone kids and stokes could make a contribution this year. It should definitely be interesting because if the coaching staff decides one or more of the freshman should be getting regular minutes...what upper classman/men are left out?? Depth is a great problem to have...it'll be interesting though if young guys get to play significant minutes, how that will affect the guys who were expecting to play more who end up getting more bench time. Possible chemistry problems? Who knows.

I'm hearing rumblings that another returning player may not be with us next year. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Tim Morton (6'8" post player) was ranked the 61st best player in Texas last Spring. And I have heard that the coaches were impressed by what they saw from Dunn. All three of these guys played significant minutes on a Cornerstone team that beat God's Academy (a very well known prep school/basketball factory) in the finals of a tournament in Mississippi.

All I can say is that Darren Jordan was the #1 point guard in Arizona and....well the rest of that is history.  I think we better just wait and see what these guys have on the court before we crown them the next tutt and green.  And I hope our coaches were impressed with the players they sign, it would be hard to read a quote saying the coaches were unimpressed but took him anyway...

The roster will shake out in the next couple of days and the numbers will all work out and yes one more returning player won't be there.

My reference to Green and Tutt was in no way meant to say any of these new players will come close to their abilities (though I am hoping). My intent was to point out that both Green and Tutt started (over upperclassmen) as freshmen....

Trust me, the new players are not in the same league as Daren Jordan.