Roster Discussion

ORUTerry

How about this for an idea:  how much is it worth per GEC family to charge admission to just such a scrimmage?

$10?

$25?

$50?

Give the money directly to men's basketball - might buy a burger or two in Toronto.

(...and Rob Marshall and I can Sumo wrestle in jockstraps at halftime!)  :-P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

• Old Titan

Get me a plane ticket to Tulsa and I'll come to watch the sumo wrestling. 

Anything to get out of the house.

I hope both of you have toned up since I last saw y'all a few years back. Either way...I now have to find something to do tonight to get that image out of my head or i won't be able to sleep.

Last year the open practice was was intended to promote Golden Eagle Club membership.  It was an opportunity for current GEC members to bring prospective GEC members to a special activity where they could meet the players.  As I remember, it was moderately attended, and by few, if any, non-members (except for Manic VP :wink

Haha gotta love good hosts

The thought of that caused me to lose my breakfast.  Thanks, OT.

I guess you'd have to assume...

Scholarships:

1.  Adam Liberty

2.  Moses Ehambe

3.  Yemi Ogunoye

4.  Shawn King

5.  Marchello Vealy

6.  Kelvin Sango

7.  Curtis Allen

8.  Marcus Lewis

9.  Jonathan Dunn

10. Clement N'gom

11. Tim Morton

12. Kyron Stokes

13. Robert Jarvis

Walk-on:

14. Matt S.

15. Jahaziel Howard

16. Andre Hardy

17. Ben Haynes

The roster is now listed on orugoldeneagles.com - with 17 players listed (as speculated).  The only difference between the roster and those listed above is that Joe Moore (Metro Christian) has replaced Matt S.  I don't know if this is the "returning player leaving" that was discussed earlier (doubtful, due to the insignificant change) and whether this roster will "stick" or continue to fluctuate in the coming days. 

Another interesting tidbit is the selection of uniform numbers.  Chello moves from #10 to #44.  Jahaziel Howard takes a bold, confident move by selecting #1 (Ken's former #), and everyone wisely stays away from #30.  Don't want to try to fill those shoes anytime soon!

I may be reading too much into this - but it's a slow day in August!

Random sidenote...

Has anybody else noticed that half of the girl's roster...7 out of 14 players are at least 6'0" tall?!?! Is that normal??? How are we not going to lead the conference or for that matter, nation, in blocks this year??? I thought in girls basketball the minute you reach 6 foot they put you at F/C...but I noticed some G/F that were over 6 feet on the roster...we're HUGE.

Jiminy Christmas, what a roster:

? A junior college All-American who may not crack the starting line-up (Jarvis).

? The Atlanta Metro Player-of-the-Year and brother to an NBA all-star as a walk-on (Howard).

? Four players originally signed to other D-1 college scholarships (Liberty, Allen, Lewis, Hardy).

? Seven newcomers/transfers with post-high school (prep, JC or D-1) experience (Dunn, Morton, N'Gom, Jarvis, Hardy, Lewis, Allen).

? Not one academic casualty or freshman non-qualifier.

Picture this:  if Morton can play a lick, you could put a line-up on the floor of him at 6'-9", 240 lbs., along with Lewis at 6'-8", 245, King at 6'-10", Yemi at a longish 6'-7" on the wing, and Adam at 6'-2" at the point.

I don't know if they'd score much, but they might rush the ball for a couple hundred yards... :wink:

Lineups I want to see...

-> Any lineup with Howard in it. I just have to know if the kid has serious D-1 game...I'm so curious to see him play and see if he's done growing yet...

->ORU Phi Slamma Jamma Lineup...Liberty, Sango, Ehambe, Vealy, Ogunoye...and anybody else who can dunk...

->Throwin' Threes Down in Yo Face Lineup...Liberty, Jarvis, Ehambe, Vealy...dunno/can't remember if guys like Hardy, Allen, and Sango can throw down a three but put one of them in there or King to clean up the boards.

->New but experienced Eagles...Jarvis, Allen, Hardy, Lewis...and who ever turns out to be the best of the Cornerstone Crew...or even Howard because like i said before...just gotta see that.

->The Cornerstone Kids (just to see if they have extra ability and if there extra year did them good)...Dunn, N'gom, Morton...throw in Stokes as the other scholarship freshaman and some other body...these are the names of the future...Clarke included of course...=)

Here is a link to the story on the ORU Athletic web site about practice starting tomorrow. It may be just coincidence, but it does not mention Allen or Lewis.

Here is a link to the story on the ORU Athletic web site about practice starting tomorrow. It may be just coincidence, but it does not mention Allen or Lewis.

Must just be a coincidence - if they mentioned all 17 players, it'd be a two-page press release - and you know about those budget cuts! :wink:

Joe Moore spent the past couple of seasons playing for Kansas Wesleyan University.  I was unable to find any stats on him.  I'm assuming he's another walk-on, since Matt S. is no longer listed.

Not so much coincidence, as old news:  Allen and Lewis been listed on the roster this past year and have already been "announced" as being on the team a year ago.  This is the first time, however, that Stokes, Jarvis, the Cornerstone trio, Hardy and Howard have been officially listed on the roster...

P.S.  Maybe we should just start refering to N'Gom, Morton and Dunn as "The Cornerstones".

Sounds like a gospel trio - or a rock band from an episode of "The Flintstones"...

Notice that Vealy is number 44.  Jarvis is number 10.  Wonder what that's about.  Veteran players don't usually give up thier numbers to newcomers

Notice that Vealy is number 44.  Jarvis is number 10.  Wonder what that's about.  Veteran players don't usually give up thier numbers to newcomers

In the words of quite a few in a galaxy far, far away - "I have a bad feeling about this."

Lineups I want to see...

-> Any lineup with Howard in it. I just have to know if the kid has serious D-1 game...I'm so curious to see him play and see if he's done growing yet...

->ORU Phi Slamma Jamma Lineup...Liberty, Sango, Ehambe, Vealy, Ogunoye...and anybody else who can dunk...

->Throwin' Threes Down in Yo Face Lineup...Liberty, Jarvis, Ehambe, Vealy...dunno/can't remember if guys like Hardy, Allen, and Sango can throw down a three but put one of them in there or King to clean up the boards.

->New but experienced Eagles...Jarvis, Allen, Hardy, Lewis...and who ever turns out to be the best of the Cornerstone Crew...or even Howard because like i said before...just gotta see that.

->The Cornerstone Kids (just to see if they have extra ability and if there extra year did them good)...Dunn, N'gom, Morton...throw in Stokes as the other scholarship freshaman and some other body...these are the names of the future...Clarke included of course...=)

I second and third ORU Phi Slamma Jamma + Howard!!! Of course I always say that and the minute we run the break we get dunked on.

Will the players have name tags on their practice jerseys so that Sutton and the other coaches can keep them straight? How do you run a practice with 17 (!) players? The competition should be fierce - which is good.