Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

Best of luck to Rotnei at Arkansas.  Congratualtions to Arkansas in winning the recruiting battle.  I also want to say thanks to Coach Sutton and staff for doing an exceptional job in recruiting Rotnei.  I'm proud of their effort, even if Rotnei chose to go to elsewhere.  And MANY THANKS to the Maniacs, who put on a great show for Rotnei, that showed hiim how much he was wanted, and I'm sure made him feel as welcomed as a recruit can feel.  You guys are the greatest!  It was a testimony to the effort you guys made to have Rotnei mention you in his announcement tonight. 

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

Well, Arkansas is a great place for a christian athlete.  Arkansas Athletes Outreach (aaoteam.org) is one of the top student organizations on campus, a great outreach and a great support for christian athletes.  Those guys are serious.  I'll never forget getting a call from them telling me they were praying for me and explaining how they pray for all UA faculty by name.  They also do foreign missions.  The men's basketball players haven't been real involved, except for Steven Hill (whose dad played for ORU) and a couple others, but the support is there for those who want it.

Several hundred students come to STUMO meeting every week, STUMO has infested the residence halls and their members hold many (most?) of the RA positions including those where many athletes are housed, and there are a number of other strong christian organizations on campus.  I half expected some posters here to ask why a good christian kid would go join the heathen, but y'all are quite restrained and I think you understand things aren't like that.

The former Hog coach, Stan Heath, was by all accounts a great christian man.  I went to church and attended christian events with him, our kids played together on teams, and I liked him a lot.  The new coach, John Pelphrey, chose to make his first impression with his new team by shouting obscenities at them in his first meeting with them.  I really don't know what to make of Pelphrey as a person, but he's very well liked and well respected by the team, and he's a bible belt guy who I'm sure is tolerant of christian players.  The fellow students are more important for support than the coach anyway.

Bummer for ORU.  It's a special place, but there's a lot to consider when making a decision on where to go.  And I'm sure the uncertainty at this time didn't help ORU's case.  All the best to Rotnei.

Great post, Titanic Eagle.  I spent four and a half years at secular schools, and I know all such schools have organizations and campus outreaches of various types that provide plenty of opportunity for Christian kids to get involved  with.  Rotnei repeatedly said he was seeking God's direction in his decision, and I have to believe that Arkansas is the best place for him at this point.  I really hope that things go well for him there.

Who can blame him for going to Fayetteville and playing in Bud Walton? Rotnei will get to play in front of 20,000 fans - as well as competing against top talent in the SEC.  I wish he would have chosen ORU, but can certainly understand his reasoning.

Good luck to Rotnei at Arkansas. I'll be rooting for him to do well...actually, I'm happy that he went anywhere, as long as it wasn't TU. I didn't want to have to listen to that nonsense for 4 years.

And, I also agree with the trade of a recruit for administration. I'm partially relieved that we didn't get him

I just watched the KTUL video of Rotnei making his decision. I was impressed that he mentioned the Maniacs and how fun they made it when he was there.

Keep up the good work, Maniacs!

And KTUL, how do you misspell his name on the lower 1/3rd?!?

Well, Arkansas is a great place for a christian athlete.  Arkansas Athletes Outreach (aaoteam.org) is one of the top student organizations on campus, a great outreach and a great support for christian athletes.  Those guys are serious.  I'll never forget getting a call from them telling me they were praying for me and explaining how they pray for all UA faculty by name.  They also do foreign missions.  The men's basketball players haven't been real involved, except for Steven Hill (whose dad played for ORU) and a couple others, but the support is there for those who want it.

Several hundred students come to STUMO meeting every week, STUMO has infested the residence halls and their members hold many (most?) of the RA positions including those where many athletes are housed, and there are a number of other strong christian organizations on campus.  I half expected some posters here to ask why a good christian kid would go join the heathen, but y'all are quite restrained and I think you understand things aren't like that.

The former Hog coach, Stan Heath, was by all accounts a great christian man.  I went to church and attended christian events with him, our kids played together on teams, and I liked him a lot.  The new coach, John Pelphrey, chose to make his first impression with his new team by shouting obscenities at them in his first meeting with them.  I really don't know what to make of Pelphrey as a person, but he's very well liked and well respected by the team, and he's a bible belt guy who I'm sure is tolerant of christian players.  The fellow students are more important for support than the coach anyway.

Bummer for ORU.  It's a special place, but there's a lot to consider when making a decision on where to go.  And I'm sure the uncertainty at this time didn't help ORU's case.  All the best to Rotnei.

awsome post. couldnt be better but....

Coach Pelphrey had a hand in star power forward Charles "manimal" Thomas getting saved this past summer.

just needed to put that in there

Sorry guys you didnt get Rotnei. We play Arkansas next year to open up our new arena, so I hope he doesnt redshirt so I can watch him play.

Well, I wish him the best... I guess this just means ill just have to take out all my frustrations on TU by way of verbal assault. It was nice to hear him give us a shoutout too... He's a good kid and im sure he'll have a grat career at Arkansas. 

Prolly the best for him in the end. Ashame that TU/ORU committed over half a million dollars to his recruitment but that is how the game is played. I think the Richard Roberts factor killed it for both ORU AND TU. I do agree with those that say it is worth losing RC if it means new leadership for ORU. Hopefully they can hold on to Sutton.

ash  =o)

I think I startled my dad when I screamed "traitor" and threw the remote at the TV.  For someone wanting to so carefully do God's will he sure missed it.    :lol:

Seriously, hope Rotnei does well for UA (except anytime when we play them) and trust and pray his ultimate purpose will be fulfilled there...

Look forward to a Golden Eagles win on Saturday night and Tuesday night!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

Sorry guys you didnt get Rotnei. We play Arkansas next year to open up our new arena, so I hope he doesnt redshirt so I can watch him play.

Hog fan here.  I can promise you Clarke will not be redshirting.  We are losing 6 seniors this year, including our starting PG.  Clarke probably won't start, assuming sophomore SG Patrick Beverley doesn't leave early for the NBA.  Fellow recruit Courtney Fortson will probably be the starting PG from the day he steps on campus.  Clarke will probably be the first guard off the bench to get in the game, at either PG or SG. 

To the ORU fans, it's nice to see you guys wishing Clarke well.  When an Arkansas boy goes elsewhere it is a much different atmosphere on the message boards than what I've seen here.  It's refreshing to see all the well-wishers for Rotnei.  We're EXTREMELY excited to have him on board.  He fills a huge gap for our time.  Outside shooting, outside of Beverley is very weak.

Good luck to you guys in the future, except on 12/1.

We're EXTREMELY excited to have him on board.  He fills a huge gap for our time.  Outside shooting, outside of Beverley is very weak.

Yeah, he would have filled a pretty big gap for us, too  . . .

obewon, you mention how hog fans respond differently when a player choses another school - that I can remember this is the first time that ORU has lost a high visibility recruit in a public manner such as this in a very, very long time.  We're just glad to know we had a shot at him till the very end!

Hog fan here.  I can promise you Clarke will not be redshirting.  We are losing 6 seniors this year, including our starting PG.  Clarke probably won't start, assuming sophomore SG Patrick Beverley doesn't leave early for the NBA.  Fellow recruit Courtney Fortson will probably be the starting PG from the day he steps on campus.  Clarke will probably be the first guard off the bench to get in the game, at either PG or SG. 

To the ORU fans, it's nice to see you guys wishing Clarke well.  When an Arkansas boy goes elsewhere it is a much different atmosphere on the message boards than what I've seen here.  It's refreshing to see all the well-wishers for Rotnei.  We're EXTREMELY excited to have him on board.  He fills a huge gap for our time.  Outside shooting, outside of Beverley is very weak.

Good luck to you guys in the future, except on 12/1.

Thanks, obewon.  Three things contribute to the graciousness shown:  (1) Rotnei's father is on our men's basketball staff so it wouldn't be prudent to trash talk one of our own's son, (2) most ORU fans were pretty realistic that it was a long shot for us score such a highly regarded recruit as Rotnei knowing the big programs where were also in the hunt, and (3) the vast majority of ORU fans look at things from a Christian faith-based perspective that promotes peace and goodwill rather than hateful words of bitterness directed at a young man or a competing university in the recruiting process.  Blessing on Rotnei and the UofA as you will both most likely prosper during his four seasons in a Razorback uniform.

It would have been wonderful for Rotnei to come to ORU.  I doo realize that we were fighting an uphill battle the entire time.  He'll do fine at ARK.  I've always rooted for them as they advance in the tourney in various years.  Now I have another reason to follow them.  Hog fans, give us some info on coach Pelphrey.  Is he a Christian man?

Good Luck Rotnei.  Go with God.  Let Him guide you in everything.

Regardless of what hat Rotnei is wearing this morning, I'm wearing my Golden Eagle hat, because I love my school, my team, and I'm excited about the future. 

GO EAGLES!

2002202417745655926_rs.jpg