Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

Really not surprising as he basically used this as an 'official' visit. Seems if he is considering the Hogs that he would want to find out as much as he could about them. I think they have already signed two point guards - so I am a bit surprised they would go after a third. (These larger schools all seem to classify Rotnei as a point guard.) Obviously, Rotnei needs to get a comfort level with any coaching staff he is considering.

I suspect that since he has visited all of the remaining schools, we might see a decision (verbal?) before signing period. Then again, he might hold off until the Spring.....

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

I'm not sure that I'm really following your line of logic, Terry.  RC already did his official visit with UoA last month (and probably has completed all of his official visits).  If he is narrowing down his choices, it sounds like going back to UoA would signal that his interest in the Hogs is possibly higher than the other schools (I guess he forgot how the Home team was booed out of Razorback Stadium when the team lost to UK during his official visit - they eat their own in Fayetteville).

I agree that with two point guards already on board, it would be inconsistent to sign with a team where you are wanting playing time from the beginning of your collegiate career, but it's possible that RC just wants to ensure that his desire to play against Billy Donovan is not greater than playing four full seasons.

What is going to give him clarity over the next couple weeks? Hard to say. The only disadvantage for ORU is that there is no urgency with them, his scholly spot will stay open no matter what. This is not true of Arkansas or OSU. He might, at the 11th hour, decide to wait it out and see if something else opens us.

ash  =o)

I forgot that he had already made an official visit to Fayetteville.... You're right, it does seem to signal something. Or maybe he just wanted to visit his grandmother.

Story in the Arkansas Democrat (excerpt):

Claremore (Okla. ) Verdigris guard Rotnei Clarke, 6-0, 175, also was in attendance Friday. Clarke is rated the No. 14 point guard in the Class of 2008 by Rivals.

Clarke has narrowed his decision to Arkansas, Oklahoma State and Oral Roberts, where his father is director of basketball operations.

Link

This visit by Rotnei to Arkansas on Friday night, when ORU is at the same time holding a similar event, is just the latest in a long line of similar acts that had me convinced several weeks ago that RC was leaning somewhere other than ORU, presumably TU.

Then Doug Wojcik stuck his foot in his mouth the first week of October, effectively removing TU from the mix, and all bets were off.

But here's the bigger picture that has had me scratching my head since last spring:  has Rotnei ever made an appearance on campus this calendar year for an ORU men's basketball activity?

I've never seen or heard about him coming to a game last season, or a practice last year or this fall, or a scrimmage, or a summer camp, etc.

I heard he went to chapel once about six weeks ago, and I know he also made an official visit a couple of weekends ago with Chris Babb, where he went to a women's volleyball game, but that's all I've heard.

Meanwhile, he has apparently been a spectator or active participant at a wide variety of men's basketball activities at several other schools.

Frankly, it gives the appearance that he's not exactly chomping at the bit to be a Golden Eagle.

I would just hope that any players we ever sign to an athletic scholarship are eager to give their all for Coach Sutton and the team, and don't have any doubts about where they want to be...  :|

It would be a huge blow for ORU to lose Rotnei now, they have more invested in him than any recruit ever. It would be really tough on the locals as between ORU and TU they have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in the recruitment of this kid. All that said, he needs to be where God leads...

ash    =o)

It would be a huge blow for ORU to lose Rotnei now, they have more invested in him than any recruit ever. It would be really tough on the locals as between ORU and TU they have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in the recruitment of this kid. All that said, he needs to be where God leads...

ash     =o)

Please define "huge blow" and "really tough", in the same context as the Marchello Vealy thread.

Either way, the show must go on - and will.

I'm not sure that I'm really following your line of logic, Terry.  RC already did his official visit with UoA last month (and probably has completed all of his official visits).  If he is narrowing down his choices, it sounds like going back to UoA would signal that his interest in the Hogs is possibly higher than the other schools (I guess he forgot how the Home team was booed out of Razorback Stadium when the team lost to UK during his official visit - they eat their own in Fayetteville).

I agree that with two point guards already on board, it would be inconsistent to sign with a team where you are wanting playing time from the beginning of your collegiate career, but it's possible that RC just wants to ensure that his desire to play against Billy Donovan is not greater than playing four full seasons.

I was there at the UK game. The arkansas fans were not "booing their own team". They were showing their displeasure with coach houston nutt. Nutt will probably be fired at the end of the year. I've been to countless football and basketball games. The only time hog fans have ever booed like that was for coach nutt. The Hog fans have NEVER booed their basketball team like that. Not even when we were awful awful awful during the early Heath era.

Coach Pelphrey is making Rotnei such a high priority because of his ability to play the one and the two and also one of the point guards may not be eligible for next season. Plus anytime you have a chance to land the best shooter in the country, you have to go all out to land Clarke.

Clarke plans to make it back to Arkansas this coming friday for an exhibition game.

Went to a couple ORU games last year and went to the MC tournament to see ORU cut down the nets. Always have had respect for the ORU basketball program.

Cant wait for hoops season and cant wait to see Scott Sutton bring his club into Bud Walton Arena.

Good luck this year in hoops.

Not getting Rotnei would be disappointing, but I would have to disagree that it would be a 'big blow'. He has been pulled from every direction and is evidently still trying to make up his mind. ORU will be fine whichever decision he makes....

Not surprised by the late push by the Hogs. They have a nice program with a great fan base. Pelphrey seems to be an engaging coach and has some nice recruits. I had heard rumors from my Fort Smith customers that one of the existing point guard recruits might have trouble qualifying so that would explain the push by Arkansas to sign Rotnei. If he is visiting Fayetteville this coming weekend, it would appear that Arkansas might have an inside track - especially with the signing period only two weeks away.

Not getting Rotnei would be disappointing, but I would have to disagree that it would be a 'big blow'. He has been pulled from every direction and is evidently still trying to make up his mind. ORU will be fine whichever decision he makes....

Not surprised by the late push by the Hogs. They have a nice program with a great fan base. Pelphrey seems to be an engaging coach and has some nice recruits. I had heard rumors from my Fort Smith customers that one of the existing point guard recruits might have trouble qualifying so that would explain the push by Arkansas to sign Rotnei. If he is visiting Fayetteville this coming weekend, it would appear that Arkansas might have an inside track - especially with the signing period only two weeks away.

As a hog fan Im cautiously optimistic about landing Clarke.

Yes he said he would come back to Arkansas this friday (scout.com) but he also said he would make it to an OSU exhibition game.

I've never seen or heard about him coming to a game last season, or a practice last year or this fall, or a scrimmage, or a summer camp, etc.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered a story about him helping out at ORU summer camp this year - assisting his Dad.

Although I would love to see Rotnei more involved with ORU, there is one train of thought that would place this activity (visiting other locations) in our favor.  Rotnei already knows ORU inside and out - so he doesn't need to "check us out".  However, he needs to continue to attend events at OSU and Arkansas - just to make sure that he's basing his decision to attend ORU on "all the facts".  If this scenario is accurate - and ORU is the front-runner - then it is more likely that Rotnei's visits to the other locations will confirm his ORU decision than reverse it, even though he's not spending much time on the ORU campus.  He did say, in a recent article, that his decision would be based upon God's leading - and a campus environment and coaching staff that he felt comfortable with.  If he's not visiting ORU, it may be because he already knows the environment and coaching staff are just fine.

Whatever he decides, Rotnei's signing day will be a red-letter day in the history of ORU athletics.  Will he be the leader of the Eagles for the next four years (Mark Acres, Caleb Green) or the one that got away (Steve Hale, Mark Price)?

Clarke...said he would come back to Arkansas this friday (scout.com) but he also said he would make it to an OSU exhibition game.

Which begs to question:  will he also be coming to one of ORU's games on November 3rd, 6th or 9th?

Which begs to question:  will he also be coming to one of ORU's games on November 3rd, 6th or 9th?

didnt see anything about him going to ORU but like the above poster said, he might just want to check out Arkansasa and OSU because he's already seen ORU alot. Who knows?

He said he's seen several Arkansas games when Heath was here but has never seen a game coached by John Pelphrey, like the rest of us.

I do remember that he stated a while back that he would have committed to Arkansas already if Coach Heath was still at UA. Heath developed a pretty good relationship with Clarke but it has been said that Pelphrey and Clarke have a good relationship also. He and his entire staff took Clarke and a couple players on a big fishing trip on his official.

ORU may still have an advantage because of his dad being a coach at ORU. But again, who knows?

Should be interesting as his decision approaches.

Not a knock out blow but considering the resources that have been devoted and the potential upside, it is a huge blow to lose a recruit at the 11th hour. TU and ORU dont get many chances at top 100 guys and between the 2 schools they have over $500,000 invested in his recruitment. KU, OSU, OU, UNC, etc. miss out on guys all the time but there are others right behind them.

TU will survive without Rotnei, as will ORU if somehow he slips thru the fingers but the immediate future wont be quite as bright. You cant really miss what you never had BUT, I think he would take a school like ORU to the next level, which will not be true of whoever else gets that scholly.

ash  =o)

PS I still think he is going to ORU

I'm not sure how you quantify the cost of Rotnei's recruitment, Ash, but I'll take it for granted that you're smarter than me on those matters. 

Regardless, RC needs to ensure that he's making the correct choice on one of the most important decisions that he'll make in his life (this is up there with his decision for Christ, who he will marry and what his vocation will be during his adult life). 

If we're doing the right thing by Rotnei, we should be praying that God guides his steps to what His will is for RC.  If that takes him to ORU, that's great, but it will still be great if he has sought God and made a decision that doesn't include ORU.  All of the other schools considered will survive with or without a star recruit.  As 82 pointed out earlier, we still have had a successful program without Steve Hale and Mark Price, but there's no doubt that it certainly would have been easier with them.

I'm not sure how you quantify the cost of Rotnei's recruitment, Ash, but I'll take it for granted that you're smarter than me on those matters. 

Regardless, RC needs to ensure that he's making the correct choice on one of the most important decisions that he'll make in his life (this is up there with his decision for Christ, who he will marry and what his vocation will be during his adult life). 

If we're doing the right thing by Rotnei, we should be praying that God guides his steps to what His will is for RC.  If that takes him to ORU, that's great, but it will still be great if he has sought God and made a decision that doesn't include ORU.  All of the other schools considered will survive with or without a star recruit.  As 82 pointed out earlier, we have still had a successful program without Steve Hale and Mark Price, but there's not doubt that it certainly would have been easier with them.

Post of the Month right there, Bogus! We've been saying it all along. There is no need to change our tune just because ORU is in the final 3. We hope that Rotnei comes to ORU, but more than that we want him to go where HE wants to go.