Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

Sorry about that!! You would think i would be better on a computer!!

Gonzaga- A LONG way away even though i think it is a good fit for him.

They do think they are in the final 2 on their site.

Kentucky- How many guards can they take? Would he like being a situational player there or at best maybe starting 1 or 2 years? i doubt it!

Ark- I have no idea about this one but they seem to have gotten in the game late. If Heath was still the coach they would have a good chance.

OSU- Wow!! Just don't think he would go there(no matter what Swaim says).

Tulsa- got in the earliest and Coach W has done a great job on recruiting him BUT!! His dad coaches at ORU!! I think that matters and it is looking pretty good for the Golden Eagles!!!! Now Crutch go out and get a couple of big guys!!

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

OU message board posters think that Rotnei has cooled on the Sooners. They are speculating that Capel is now recruiting another 'pure' point guard. I have always thought that the Sooners were a (the?) major competitor for Rotnei's services.

HawgSports.com has an article profiling Arkansas' visits this weekend, and has some insightful quotes from Rotnei's uncle and high school coach, Kelly Clarke.

Coach Clarke is quoted as saying Rotnei has cooled on OU and is now trying to decide whether to take an official visit or not to Norman.  And that RC dropped off Arkansas' radar between Heath's firing and just recently, but that Rotnei does like Coach Pelphrey.  Also says OSU is really trying to get in the hunt now, BUT that Rotnei is not sure now whether he will visit Kentucky, either. (!)

Says flatly that Conley Clarke's employment at ORU and Rotnei's grandmother living in NW Arkansas will have no bearing on his decision.

HawgsIllustrated.com reports that Rotnei will visit Fayetteville this weekend:

Link to HawgsIllustrated.com Basketball Recruiting Visits

Also says they haven't officially offered him, which is strange considering the oft-reported story that Stan Heath offered RC on the spot after he made something like 99-out-of-100 three pointers in a workout at Verdigris H.S. last spring.

Can't imagine Pelphrey wouldn't honor the same offer, especially if they're having him in for an official visit.

And keep your chins up, those who might be worried about RC taking all these visits of late.  From everything I've heard - and, as importantly, haven't heard - we're still in the hunt and there are no indications of us dropping out of the picture.

How many days is it until National Signing Day??  :-P

NOTE:  It took one of our regular lurkers from the TU message board a little less than an hour-and-a-half to poach this post.

Kind of like when ESPN takes credit for AP wire stories by adding "Peter Gammons/Lynn Mortenson/Andy Katz reports 'blah-blah-blah'."

Nonetheless, nice to see we remain their No. 1 source for all things Rotnei - since apparently the information pipeline on that topic has run pretty dry on their end.  :roll:

Must be a slow day when you are pounding your chest over linking an article from an Arkansas message board like it's a source from this board.  For what it's worth, I read that info elsewhere.  You should become an honorary TU football fan to give you SOMETHING to do until basketball starts.  But, gosh, I would have thought a point this WEAK was below you...

Nice to know you pay to read our pay board.  I'm sure they would be thrilled to know that you are disclosing the contents of it.  Where is YOUR source citation?

Well, well, well. It looks like Rotnei's top 5 is shaping up, and the final list may be a little different than some of us imagined.

Listed in alphabetical order:

Arkansas

Gonzaga

ORU

OSU

Tulsa

Interesting... if he cans UK, that looks good for Gonzaga and the locals. I am not sure what to believe, some of the people who swore, privately at least, a week ago that Rot was going to OU, now say he has cooled and may not visit. Not visiting Kentucky? Maybe he sniffed out Billy G, who knows. If it is down to TU or ORU then great. For those who think he would not go to TU because his dad is at ORU, I think you are dead wrong. That wont be a factor at all. I would say there is more politics between the ORU-OSU relationship than ORU/TU. Honestly, I will be happy either way. If he is not going to TU, I would rather have him at ORU than anywhere else.

ash  =o)

For those who think he would not go to TU because his dad is at ORU, I think you are dead wrong. That wont be a factor at all. ash  =o)

I think it's "dead wrong" to say his dad being at ORU "won't be a factor at all" on deciding between ORU and TU, or the other schools.

It may not be the deciding factor, but it's bound to be a factor somewhere in the decision.

Or perhaps just an indicator... :wink:

Heck i don't think Rotnei has any idea where he is going to end up. It is nice that ORU is still in it and i think they will stay in it to the end.

Hard to see him at Tulsa with his dad at ORU but i guess it could happen.

I think he has cooled on Kent but if he goes for midnight madness who knows!

There is a fan over on their site that said he will change his sig picture to a picture of Caleb if Rotnei goes to ORU and i would LOVE  to see that!!! Their fans get on my nerves.

Let me clarify. He may have a much better chance of going to ORU because his dad is there but he will not pass on TU because he is afraid of playing one game a year against his dad. Many people have indicated such and it is silly.

ash  =o)

Let me clarify. He may have a much better chance of going to ORU because his dad is there but he will not pass on TU because he is afraid of playing one game a year against his dad. Many people have indicated such and it is silly.

ash  =o)

On this I think we can agree.

Wonders never cease!

But, in regards to the "playing once a year against TU" issue, isn't it also a little silly to think his dad will want to stay at ORU should Rotnei choose TU (or OU, OSU or Arkansas for that matter)?

He's been on or behind the bench for virtually every game Rotnei has ever played.  If Rotnei doesn't choose ORU, can't imagine CC would opt for Golden Eagle road trips every other weekend in January and February, when he could be sitting courtside watching Rotnei toil for the Hurricane/Sooners/Cowboys/Hogs...

Let me clarify. He may have a much better chance of going to ORU because his dad is there but he will not pass on TU because he is afraid of playing one game a year against his dad. Many people have indicated such and it is silly. ash  =o)

Ash, I disagree with you because we compete with TU in more than just 1 game a year on the floor. We compete with them for face time in the Tulsa World and around the city. We compete with TU for attracting non-die hards of either programs to attend a game. We compete with TU for recruits, and the list goes on. If Rotnei chooses TU then I agree with OT that I don't see his dad staying on staff much longer. The level of "friendship or likeness" between the two programs in the athletic offices is not very high from what I hear. I think ORU has a strong advantage over TU because Clarke is already on staff, and there is currently not that much difference in the levels of the programs right now.

Clearly there is some competition between schools but I think it is a real stretch to think that will factor into the decision. If RC decides it is better for him to go to TU, he wont pass it up because he thinks it will hurt his dad or ORU because it wont any more than any other recruit. I would say it is currently looking good for the CITY of Tulsa though...

ash  =o)

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/sho ... 260&page=1

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/sho ... 260&page=2

Gonzaga was certainly focused on Rotnei's visit over to Hogland this past weekend.  I'm hopeful that Rotnei got to stay for the Kentucky game and listen to all of the fans boo their team at the end of that game.  That was a travesty for a student-athlete to put in all of the time, effort and commitment and hear their home fans boo them off the field.  I sure hope that made an impact on Rotnei!!

On a related note, although GU may have some of the attributes that Rotnei would like in a school, it would take a commitment by his family to move a long way away to follow his playing career.  I still like ORU's chances of Rotnei deciding to accept our offer of a scholarship to continue his education.

P.S.  BTW, vcb made this the most posted topic on the Board (finally!).

I dont think it will be OU... I think it is down to TU and maybe an outside chance at Gonzaga. ORU will always be a factor for obvious reasons. Most seem to think TU has the lead, nobody thinks Gonzaga is in the picture but none of us live inside the kids head.

ash  =o)

Until RC takes ORU out of his top 5 or he officially declares with another school, I'm not going to get too worried about it. I'm excited to hear how this thing plays out, yet the whole drama is making ME tired and I have nothing to do with it. Too much he said/she said/'well people VERY close to him said' type of stuff going on. October will be one last ong month of more waiting probably...

P.S.  BTW, vcb made this the most posted topic on the Board (finally!).

Sweet! What do I win?!?!?!?!?! :-D