Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

Rotnei was on Greg Swaim's show today. I wasn't able to hear it but here is a post from the OSU message board Orange Power. Hard to tell...

I heard most of the interview. Rotnei talked about his official visit he took to Gonzaga. He fished with Coach Few who is a fishing pro, apparently. He will be going to Arkansas Sep. 22nd for next official. He has been to Kentucky, but I can't remember if that was official or not. Was impressed with their facilities and fan support.

I can't remember where else he is going to take officials, but Arizona State and Marquette are OFF his list. ORU and Tulsa are still on, along with OU.

And of course what you really want to know is this: HCSS and Coach Hatch were at Rotnei's house last night and assured him that he has a scholarship offer.

Rotnei said he would enjoy playing in the same backcourt as Page and said they text every other day.

My personal take on the interview is that Rotnei is a very humble, classy, young man. He gives props to God in every interview I have seen/heard (he was on KTUL Channel 8 a few Sundays ago) and he means it.

Also included was a link to an article from the Church on the Move website.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

I would call RC a "scorer" with a real nose for the rim but at bigger schools, he will likely be relegated to a "shooter" especially for the first couple years. There were a BUNCH of schools who showed little to no interest in RC until the 3 point line got moved back. Calipari at Memphis was pretty open about the fact that RC was on the radar for that reason alone.

ash  =o)

The Church on the Move article actually makes me think it more likely that Rotnei does not go to ORU.  He may be mature enough in his faith that he is ready to go to the mission field (OU, OSU, Kentucky) and does not need more "raising up" at an ORU.  Although, I'm not sure Verdigris High can prepare anyone for the debauchery to be found at a public university.

The Church on the Move article actually makes me think it more likely that Rotnei does not go to ORU.  He may be mature enough in his faith that he is ready to go to the mission field (OU, OSU, Kentucky) and does not need more "raising up" at an ORU.  Although, I'm not sure Verdigris High can prepare anyone for the debauchery to be found at a public university.

Don't you think that ORU is still a mission field in itself?  Do you think that all of the ORU athletes are as strong in their faith?  Or even all of the students?  He could reach a large audience playing at ORU as well as any other of his choices.  We need more Rotnei Clarks at ORU to spread the message!!  And the great thing about ORU is that the University will help him to be a spokeman for the Lord.

On another note, in the picture of Wojcik no one in the crowd seems to be watching him.  :)

I don't think spiritual maturity has anything to do with it, OKC. ORU is not just an institution for the spiritually immature. Rotnei has said it's all about where he feels God is leading him to go. There are kids at ORU right now that would have done well regardless of the institution they attended, but felt that the environment ORU provided enhanced their growth and development far beyond where they would have been if they attended another college.

Don't you think that ORU is still a mission field in itself?  Do you think that all of the ORU athletes are as strong in their faith?  Or even all of the students?  He could reach a large audience playing at ORU as well as any other of his choices.  We need more Rotnei Clarks at ORU to spread the message!!  And the great thing about ORU is that the University will help him to be a spokeman for the Lord.

On another note, in the picture of Wojcik no one in the crowd seems to be watching him.  :)

Don't get me wrong.  Rotnei could do wonders at ORU to fire people up for God.  But the perception is that the other schools are more in need of evangelism.  I am thinking of the students he comes in contact with, not the fans.  Maybe it depends on whether he is an evangelist (state schools) or a pastor (ORU).

I don't think spiritual maturity has anything to do with it, OKC. ORU is not just an institution for the spiritually immature. Rotnei has said it's all about where he feels God is leading him to go. There are kids at ORU right now that would have done well regardless of the institution they attended, but felt that the environment ORU provided enhanced their growth and development far beyond where they would have been if they attended another college.

I did not intend to imply that ORU is for the spiritually immature.  But, ORU's mission statement is to raise up students to take the Good News to the world.

I think ORU would be great for Rotnei and would help him to grow further.  And, I think that his growth could be adversely impacted at a state school.  I'm just saying that it sounds like he might want to go be an evangelist.

I would much rather he come to ORU and take ORU to the next level where the team can be a bright light for Christ on a national stage.  I hope he realizes that he might have the ability to do that.

Maybe I'm going a little too far out on a limb by saying this but I think it would take RC or somebody like RC to make Oral's prediction/prophecy on Larry King a few years back come true...

Didn't a similar tangent get moved?  ....

Yes, and we don't need to go there again.

Well said Mrs Smith.

Maybe I'm going a little too far out on a limb by saying this but I think it would take RC or somebody like RC to make Oral's prediction/prophecy on Larry King a few years back come true...

Eli, I couldn't agree more.

I'm with you too, Eli and orumom. 

We'll see what happens in a month or so.

Wouldn't that be something amazing to play back on Larry King and to place in the ORU b-ball history books!

Here is an excerpt about Rotnei Clarke from James Hale writing on OUInsider.com; click on the site and scroll down to read more.

We have hinted at a rift between Warren and point guard/shooting guard Rotnei Clarke of Verdigris, Okla., and that continues between the two former friends. Early in the summer, they were best of friends on Team Texas, a highly competitive AAU team based in Texas, but in August the two had a serious disagreement during a tournament and the two have cooled on playing together at the D-1 level. We have always thought the two would work it out because they have been friends for a long time, but at this point they still are not talking to each other and are not going to play together.

OUInsider.com Link

HawgsIllustrated.com reports that Rotnei will visit Fayetteville this weekend:

Link to HawgsIllustrated.com Basketball Recruiting Visits

Also says they haven't officially offered him, which is strange considering the oft-reported story that Stan Heath offered RC on the spot after he made something like 99-out-of-100 three pointers in a workout at Verdigris H.S. last spring.

Can't imagine Pelphrey wouldn't honor the same offer, especially if they're having him in for an official visit.

And keep your chins up, those who might be worried about RC taking all these visits of late.  From everything I've heard - and, as importantly, haven't heard - we're still in the hunt and there are no indications of us dropping out of the picture.

How many days is it until National Signing Day??  :-P

NOTE:  It took one of our regular lurkers from the TU message board a little less than an hour-and-a-half to poach this post.

Kind of like when ESPN takes credit for AP wire stories by adding "Peter Gammons/Lynn Mortenson/Andy Katz reports 'blah-blah-blah'."

Nonetheless, nice to see we remain their No. 1 source for all things Rotnei - since apparently the information pipeline on that topic has run pretty dry on their end.  :roll:

OU message board posters think that Rotnei has cooled on the Sooners. They are speculating that Capel is now recruiting another 'pure' point guard. I have always thought that the Sooners were a (the?) major competitor for Rotnei's services.

OU message board posters think that Rotnei has cooled on the Sooners. They are speculating that Capel is now recruiting another 'pure' point guard. I have always thought that the Sooners were a (the?) major competitor for Rotnei's services.

Scout.com finally has listed ORU among the contenders for Rotnei's services, though they list us in regular type (instead of bold type) because we do not have any kind of recruiting link within their system.

Wonder how we get listed with them?  Rivals.com already has us listed similarly, I think...