Re: Rotnei Clarke

dchief42

If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Rotnei Clarke what school would you sign with?

• Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Oklahoma State
    • Oral Roberts
    • Tulsa
    • Kentucky
    • Arizona State
    • Other

The main things Gonzaga can offer that TU/ORU cant is that they are an established top 25 program, they play a premier schedule and they have had more success getting guys to the next level. He could start from day one at all three but the Zags are honestly already where ORU wants to be and TU wants to get back to. Obviously, TU/ORU offer the chance to play close to home so lets hope that is one of THE factors.

ash  =o)

Even in their heyday, TU was never at the same level that Gonzaga has been this past decade.

They have a half dozen players in the pros, one of whom (Adam Morrison) was a national co-Player of the Year (with J.J. Reddick of Duke) and a lottery pick.

They play several games a year on national TV.

They can get a game scheduled with anyone they want.

They can realistically recruit anyone in the country.

Bottom line:  they don't have to toot their own horn - everyone already knows (or assumes) they are big-time.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• Bogus Smith

Have you ever stayed up to watch Gonzaga play league games in the WCC? Most of those schools play in high school-like gyms - with bleachers and padded mats on the walls to protect players from hurting themselves. The Zags have definitely pulled that conference up - although they still dominate.

Gonzaga is a great story for schools from smaller conferences. They parlayed initial success into a basketball powerhouse by keeping their coach and good recruiting.

Many of those games will be Pacific Time.

2 hours behind Central, and 3 behind Eastern.

So even if the games are on TV - hardly anyone will be watching.

Unless they are playing away of course...

Rotnei might take that into consideration.

That's what Tivo is for. That and Sportscenter the next morning for highlights.

Whose side are you on, Adder?  SpaceMan was trying to point out reasons why Rotnei shouldn't go to Gonzaga and should go to ORU.  You're coming in and messing up the apple cart, man! :-D

Hah, yeah, my bad.

Let me qualify my last post with "Though a majority of Americans don't have Tivo, so he should come to ORU".  8-)

Have you ever stayed up to watch Gonzaga play league games in the WCC? Most of those schools play in high school-like gyms - with bleachers and padded mats on the walls to protect players from hurting themselves. The Zags have definitely pulled that conference up - although they still dominate.

That's kind of par for the course for a lot of gyms on the West Coast.

What I like are all the intersecting lines on the floor for volleyball, badminton, dodgeball, four-square, etc.

Dodge ball is very politically incorrect, so I doubt the left-coasters would allow that..... it's too manly.

Dodge ball is very politically incorrect, so I doubt the left-coasters would allow that..... it's too manly.

Who are you? Brent Musburger?

TU and Gonzaga were about even going into 2001, I think we all know what happened since. I want RC to come to TU or ORU, I just think people are looking over the Zags, that's all. Outside of the location, it is a place with great cred that he WILL start 4 years.

ash  =o)

Thanks, mom.  I may play with it a little to see if I can get it looking a little better.  I got that yesterday.

Gonzaga is a great place to play and would be a good place for Rotnei; however it is a long way from home and not sure if family would move that far away.

Also not sure he would start 4 years for that program; although i am sure he would step in and contribute right away.

On the other hand really looking forward to seeing this years team in Austin and hopefully they gel quickly and go to the tourney again!

I know getting a little spoiled!

TMH:

I have that same post card SOMEWHERE at home.  Nice.

I recall the girls being the Lady Titans....don't remember the "Titanettes".

Rob

There's no date on it, so I was wondering if anyone would have an idea when that pic was taken.  Didn't the Mabee Center originally have sunken areas on both sides of the court?  It looks to me like the entire floor is level in that pic, so it would be some time after the sunken areas were raised.  I think.

As far as the Titanettes are concerned, maybe some of the people with a longer horizon at ORU would remember who they were, but my guess would be the cheerleaders, or a pom squad.  Every year I buy a plaque that has a picture showing the current cheerleading squad at Broken Arrow High School - they're called the Tigettes (BA Tigers - get it?).  Maybe the ORU cheerleaders were called the Titanettes.

We know the picture is prior to 1986 since there is no 3 point line.  It also had to be prior to 1985 since there is no shot clock.  I think the floor next to the court looks like it is sunk in the picture (notice the visitor coach's bent knee coming off the bench--btw, when did we switch ends?) and I think it had to be pre-1985.  The red carpet on the ends is a clue.  I think that was there when I started going to games in the late 70s but I don't remember when that was removed.

I guess ORU fans never really wore ORU colors to the games.  That picture is a total mismash of color.  Imagine that picture if everybody was wearing navy and white.

That gives me an idea.  If we have another bracket buster TV game with free t-shirts, maybe we could alternate each section between white and navy.

I can't tell if the floor is sunken or not - I didn't think it was.  Maybe so, which would put this picture even earlier.  I've got a larger scan of it on my home computer that might make it more discernible.

As far as switching ends, I think it was Scott Sutton's first year, the team was struggling, and he said he was going to try anything to get things turned around.  So he switched ends with the visiting team, and has kept them that way ever since.  The story is right, I just can't remember for sure if it was Scott or Barry Hinson that did it.