Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Comparison to Vanover???....No comment from TheEagleman....😬

It wasn't a comparison of ability or accomplishment. Just his height and the kind of effect he could have on the team especially in the paint. I'm sure he has a long way to go. 

TheEagleman blundered on his pre season thoughts about Vanover 2 yrs ago who turned out to not be a stiff...so keeping my mouth shut about this big skinny kid....🤐

The 7'3 big man can help on defense but one wonders what his offensive ability is: maybe put some offensive rebounds back for layups.  He needs to learn a jump hook or turn around shot in the post to be effective on offense.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The 7'3 big man can help on defense but one wonders what his offensive ability is: maybe put some offensive rebounds back for layups.  He needs to learn a jump hook or turn around shot in the post to be effective on offense.

How teachable and how hard this young man works will determine his success. To be honest Connor was a great young man but not a hard worker. What could he have  accomplished with a lot more hard work and dedication?

21 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Dunks!!!🏀🏀

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eagle88 said:

How teachable and how hard this young man works will determine his success. To be honest Connor was a great young man but not a hard worker. What could he have  accomplished with a lot more hard work and dedication?

I know I lack insider info, but I’m a little perplexed at some of the Vanover(and former player) criticism. He was First team all summit league, an anchor on our arguably the best “record wise” team in history, defensive player of the year, second in scoring behind a generational Max Abmas, school record for blocks in a season and 2nd in the COUNTRY for blocks per game. What about that wasn’t a success or hard working??

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 2014Grad said:

I know I lack insider info, but I’m a little perplexed at some of the Vanover(and former player) criticism. He was First team all summit league, an anchor on our arguably the best “record wise” team in history, defensive player of the year, second in scoring behind a generational Max Abmas, school record for blocks in a season and 2nd in the COUNTRY for blocks per game. What about that wasn’t a success or hard working??

Connor did do well at ORU but let's remember by the time he got here he was a 4th or 5th year senior. He had very limited playing time at Cal and Arkansas. What he achieved in the Summit was good but a guy 7,4 should be able to do  some of these things. Last season at Missouri a sports commentator mentioned that Connor had been benched by the coach for not working hard. Towards the end of the season he played very little and overall did not have a productive final season. He went to Mizzou to get ready for the NBA. Connor really got exposed in the Duke game a year ago and looked like a deer in the headlights. Max Abmas on the other hand has an incredible work ethic and proved it by being able to play with the top players in the Big 12 night after night. This conversation is  really about the new 7'3 player ORU is supposedly signing. According to post on the board the jury is out on how good this young man can be. My point is it depends on how hard he is willing to work and how teachable he is.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, eagle88 said:

Connor did do well at ORU but let's remember by the time he got here he was a 4th or 5th year senior. He had very limited playing time at Cal and Arkansas. What he achieved in the Summit was good but a guy 7,4 should be able to do  some of these things. Last season at Missouri a sports commentator mentioned that Connor had been benched by the coach for not working hard. Towards the end of the season he played very little and overall did not have a productive final season. He went to Mizzou to get ready for the NBA. Connor really got exposed in the Duke game a year ago and looked like a deer in the headlights. Max Abmas on the other hand has an incredible work ethic and proved it by being able to play with the top players in the Big 12 night after night. This conversation is  really about the new 7'3 player ORU is supposedly signing. According to post on the board the jury is out on how good this young man can be. My point is it depends on how hard he is willing to work and how teachable he is.

Fair points. I don’t know Vanover, but I think to publicly say someone is “not a hard worker” is a pretty damning judge of character, so maybe I’m a bit offended for Vanover 😂.

Some of my thoughts are not directed to you specifically, but general discourse. Bedford was praised and loved on this board all year, but once he entered the portal he was “selfish”, “we got better” and he was the source of ISO ball. I know players can and will always be criticized, but it just sits off with me when it happens once they’ve gone.

I”ll get off my soapbox, and agree that our roster has some needs, but it is filling out quite nicely so far!

• Upvote 3

My only comments on Vanover is that he chose poorly in regards to a transfer school. He was previously at Arkansas and did not fare well against SEC players who are big and physical. Going to Mizzu meant he was going to see that style of player every game. I think he should have stayed at ORU where he was given freedom to shoot three pointers and defend against less capable players. He needed playing time to demonstrate his abilities and didn’t get that at Missouri. 

Bedford is a very capable player and certainly helped us this past year. Not sure he was happy at ORU - or at least it looked that way at times from his demeanor. 

• Upvote 4

Vanover did choose poorly in the transfer portal. His uniqueness is all about his shooting ability. Offensively, he’s such a great player when utilized properly. Unfortunately for him, the only coach he’s played for that has really capitalized on his strengths, while covering up his weaknesses, is Paul Mills. I assume he works pretty hard because he’s very skilled for his size, and that takes work. However, if his coach wants a physically assertive big man, then Vanover isn’t it. Some coaches might interpret Vanover’s reluctance to bang in the post to be a lack of effort or a lack of work ethic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Missouri went 0-18 in the SEC with Vanover seeing limited minutes in conference. He averaged 12.9 minutes per game for the season, scoring 4.2 ppg and 0.9 blocks per game. The coach played him 23 minutes in the final game in the conference tournament. He scored 12 points on 4/5 shooting with 6 rebounds and 2 blocks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Mizzou coach should have played Vanover more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m guessing Billy Wilson will be sweating a bit if we sign a guy with a last name like Drinkwine. Also, the guy can shoot! 50% on 3’s with 220+ attempts.

• Haha 1

Drinkwine comes from Northwest University, which is affiliated with the Assemblies of God. Although the A/G requires abstinence, the Apostle Paul told Timothy to drink wine. I'm sure Connor has heard every wine joke in the book. At least he has a GREAT first name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see that Connor actually played his sophomore year at  Skagit Valley College.

This Skagit Valley College news release from April 16, 2024, certainly indicates that Connor Drinkwine is the kind of student-athlete that ORU likes to have.

𝗠𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗕𝗮𝘀𝗸𝗲𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗼𝗿 𝗗𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗸𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗻𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗱 𝗮 𝗻𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝗔𝗧𝗬𝗖𝗔𝗔 𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝗦𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗮𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿!

The National Alliance of Two-Year College Athletic Administrators (NATYCAA) has announced 2024 nominees for the Male & Female Scholar Athlete of the Year. Nominations are based on a minimum 3.6 GPA on a 4.0; participation in a minimum of one complete season of varsity competition at the nominating institution; outstanding athletics success; and outstanding qualities of leadership and citizenship.

Head Coach Carl Howell says, "Connor checks all the boxes as a student athlete. He is a 4.00 student, is a leader in our community volunteer program, is an outstanding player who is truly the first player to the gym and the last player to leave."

Athletic Director, Mitch Freeman says, "Connor Drinkwine epitomizes the qualities of a scholar-athlete who excels academically, athletically, and in service to others. His outstanding achievements, both on and off the court, make him an exemplary candidate for the NATYCAA Student-Athlete Scholarship Award."

At the 2024 Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada, the NATYCAA will announce the NATYCAA Male and Female Scholar Athlete of the Year