2023 CWS Game #1 - ORU vs. TCU

Old Titan

Summit League brass elbowing their way all the way to the front of the ORU bandwagon!

YOU DIDN'T EVEN HANG ANY SUMMIT LEAGUE BANNERS ON THE FENCES IN FARGO!! LOLOL

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Happy to see the team was able to fly to Omaha.  That's a charter I assume?  The boys should be as fresh as daisies to take on the Horned Frogs on Friday.

1 minute ago, Otis 83 said:

Happy to see the team was able to fly to Omaha.  That's a charter I assume?  The boys should be as fresh as daisies to take on the Horned Frogs on Friday.

Charters provided by NCAA.

4 hours ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

Best line from this article (tagline for the 2023 team?😞 "We're old, experienced, and extremely deep." 🙂

• Upvote 3

Hope everyone that goes to Omaha has a great trip and ORU gets the victory on Friday.  The only thought about this game is that pitching wins championships.  The pitching has been a little up and down in the tournament and the Eagles have given up a lot of home runs.  ORU will need to cut down on the home runs allowed to have a run in the College World Series and beat TCU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titansforever said:

Best line from this article (tagline for the 2023 team?😞 "We're old, experienced, and extremely deep." 🙂

That could be the motto on the ORU Sports Forum coat of arms... 🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just got an email ORU athletics is out of tix. Im going to jump on stubhub and grab 2 tix. Which section are ORU fans sitting in?

26 minutes ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Just got an email ORU athletics is out of tix. I'm going to jump on StubHub and grab 2 tix. Which section are ORU fans sitting in?

2,000 ticket requests for a 1,400 ticket allotment.  This is why they were unable to fulfill all the fans' needs for the CWS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Just got an email ORU athletics is out of tix. Im going to jump on stubhub and grab 2 tix. Which section are ORU fans sitting in?

107/108 and 202/302.

• Thanks 1

Dom Izzo of Fargo and NDSU fame has become a raving fan when it comes to Golden Eagle baseball!

Thoughts on ORU's chances in this year's CWS:

1. ORU does a good job of driving up pitch counts by the opposing pitchers. Patience has its rewards.

2. The boys push the envelope on advancing bases, whether by hit, stolen base, bunt, and/or by smart, aggressive base running.  Jonah, an excellent hitter (he doesn't walk much) and base stealer, presents a dual threat to opposing pitchers. 

3. They appear to be mentally tough. They'll need that in Omaha, against really good teams.

4. Overall, the starting pitchers are average. It's been awhile since a starting pitcher went 7 innings on a consistent basis.

Giving up 4-5 runs in 5 innings-or less-puts undo pressure on relief pitching, which has generally been by committee, other than Cade. Cade is good. He's also human. He wasn't used in game 3 in Eugene. May that repeat itself in Omaha.

I can see God's hand in both regionals. OSU went out early. Perhaps they were overrated. Regardless, ORU made the most of opposing mistakes (walks, errors, hit batters, mental errors) in Stillwater and Eugene. Eleven (11) walks to ORU in one game?  Did ORU's ability to go through starting pitchers aid in this happening? 

ORU's CWS bracket is winnable. The other bracket has Wake Forest (they're #1 for a reason), LSU, and others. I can see this working to ORU's advantage, with ORU playing in the (perhaps) weaker bracket, on the way to playing in the finals. 

I hope ORU does well. Up your game in the field, and at the plate. Stay focused. They showed this in Eugene. 

They need to show this in Omaha. They can. They must. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4