2023 CWS Game #1 - ORU vs. TCU

Old Titan

51 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I'M SO RELIEVED to get the answer to this perplexing question!! I've watched game after game where our guys are getting a treat at first base and wondered what that was about. I looked on line for an explanation without result, I've watched other teams to see if it was commonly done (obviously, it's not), and as a last resort was planning to ask one of you insiders on the sly in person some time. The fact that I never heard a TV announcer comment on it made me think it must be something of common knowledge. I didn't want to ask about it on the board for fear of embarrassing myself, fearing I was unaware of some well known baseball tradition or something from a famous baseball movie I'd missed!!

Knowing that it is a creation of this team, a development of the tedium of playing on the road, makes it seem like something really special - almost endearing. I love it now that I know what its about!

Ditto. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Instead, you might check out the two College World Series shirts being offered through the ORU Bookstore; these are pretty cool designs at reasonable prices:

And on backorder along with the long awaited legit baseball hat.  Maybe there will be merch in Omaha?

4 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

And on backorder along with the long awaited legit baseball hat.  Maybe there will be merch in Omaha?

Tons of it; kiosks EVERYWHERE:  in the stadium, outside the stadium, at Fan Fest in the parking lot, in the downtown hotels, etc.

And FWIW:  I ordered the white hoodie with the "Oral Roberts" script from the bookstore during Sweet Sixteen week.  It said six weeks backorder, I got it in about four.

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Tons of it; kiosks EVERYWHERE:  in the stadium, outside the stadium, at Fan Fest in the parking lot, in the downtown hotels, etc.

And FWIW:  I ordered the white hoodie with the "Oral Roberts" script from the bookstore during Sweet Sixteen week.  It said six weeks backorder, I got it in about four.

Sounds like a Grateful Dead concert....maybe without the veggie stir fry.

My wife and I are flying in for the Fri game. Does anyone know who we should contact to request tickets?

2 minutes ago, ORUFan2009 said:

My wife and I are flying in for the Fri game. Does anyone know who we should contact to request tickets?

Did you get an email with a link to the form?

46 minutes ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Go to this link before noon on Wednesday (tomorrow) for tickets. 

You can also call the ticket office at (918) 495-7546, or email Cole Eveland at ceveland@oru.edu.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

If Grip, OKCEagle and Otis are all making the trip.....not sure that ORU can't win the Jello Shot Challenge rather easily.....😎

I'm willing to do my part to keep us out of last place, but 18,777 shots is a bit daunting.

Come on, Tex...suck it up and take one for the team.....plus maybe LakesBison would drive to Omaha and join the Blue and Gold for a week.....😜

41 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I'm willing to do my part to keep us out of last place, but 18,777 shots is a bit daunting.

Tex I’ll meet you at Rocco’s. We can each buy a jello shot and donate them to Wake Forest fan. 

• Upvote 1

A couple optimistic thoughts from the updated "Nitty Gritty" RPI report at https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/2023/:

1. We are now up 9 spots to #49. While arbitrary, this puts us into the 26-50 range that #19 TCU is somehow 3-11 against, as opposed to 12-3 against the top 25, and 9-5 against 51-100.

2. We appear to be the only CWS team that has played in Omaha this year, as a quick look through Creighton's and Omaha's schedule shows only our 3-game sweep at Tal Anderson Field back in April. Too bad Omaha couldn't have arranged for one or two of those to be played at Charles Schwab Field!

Update to add #3 - We are now 6-4 against the top 25 RPI teams, which must be the best record against the top tier that any ORU team has had, at least in a long time.

2 hours ago, ORUTex said:

I just don't want ORU to finish last.

It's like when you're hiking with a bunch of people and suddenly a ravenous grizzly bear starts chasing everyone.

You don't have to be faster than the bear; you just have to be faster than the slowest member of your party.  🐻 😉

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I just don't want ORU to finish last.

I'm pretty sure certain ORU people do want ORU to finish last in that competition.

• Haha 1