2023 CWS Game #1 - ORU vs. TCU

Old Titan

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

In the last graphic there, why is the wake guy making the motion biting his fingers? And , are those finger positions a certain type of pitch ?

When will the team head up to Omaha?  Guessing maybe they practice today at home then head up to Nebraska on Wednesday?  Then perhaps some practice time in Charles Schwab Stadium on Thursday?.....24,000 capacity.....and most games are usually sold out....should be an exciting experience for this ORU squad to play in front of that many fans.....who hopefully won't be as nasty as those in Eugene last weekend.....that was embarrassing for the U. of Oregon....TheEagleman watched a lot of Super Regional baseball over the weekend and heard nothing like the garbage coming from the stands in Eugene.....😬

• Upvote 1

For those making the trip:  it appears that stadium parking is restricted to pass-holders; but plenty of parking lots around downtown with a shuttle running every 10 minutes to the park.

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.46.32 AM.png

Must read:  a history of the "Rocco's Pizza Jello Shot Challenge" in Omaha during the College World Series:

https://www.hottytoddy.com/2022/06/30/ole-miss-wins-roccos-jello-shot-challenge-and-receives-large-donation-for-grove-grocery/

Predictions are being made that ORU may post the lowest total EVER in the event; with one handicapper saying "something like a round-of-golf score".

Since it's for charity, it's tempting to buy a round for the house, just to put a crooked number on the board for the Golden Eagles!

FyemGbCXsAACAf1.jpeg

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

For those making the trip:  it appears that stadium parking is restricted to pass-holders; but plenty of parking lots around downtown with a shuttle running every 10 minutes to the park.

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 10.46.32 AM.png

The shuttle costs a quarter so bring your loose change.  If you're staying on the west side of Omaha there's free parking at a transit center and you can take a train to the "circulator" for $1.25.

Good info can be found here.  https://cwsomaha.com/sports/2023/3/22/parking-map.aspx

• Upvote 1

If Grip, OKCEagle and Otis are all making the trip.....not sure that ORU can't win the Jello Shot Challenge rather easily.....😎

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

When will the team head up to Omaha?  Guessing maybe they practice today at home then head up to Nebraska on Wednesday?  Then perhaps some practice time in Charles Schwab Stadium on Thursday?.....24,000 capacity.....and most games are usually sold out....should be an exciting experience for this ORU squad to play in front of that many fans.....who hopefully won't be as nasty as those in Eugene last weekend.....that was embarrassing for the U. of Oregon....TheEagleman watched a lot of Super Regional baseball over the weekend and heard nothing like the garbage coming from the stands in Eugene.....😬

That would be my guess as well eagleman. The schedule of events shows an ORU practice time Thursday morning. Looks to be open to the public.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Maybe we can get Rocco’s to sell twin snakes and we can participate in the challenge by purchasing twin snakes instead of jello shots 🤣

• Haha 3

Possible Scam Alert:  be very careful before ordering the following commemerative shirt from any number of sketchy websites on Facebook, Twitter, etc. 

None of the various sites featuring this particular design have the same contact info, yet all have the exact same graphics, too-good-to-be-true pricing, and shopping cart.  Google searches of the various providers have so far failed to bring up any reviews. Not saying for certain they are scams; but they don't look very legitimate.

Instead, you might check out the two College World Series shirts being offered through the ORU Bookstore; these are pretty cool designs at reasonable prices:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

When will the team head up to Omaha?  Guessing maybe they practice today at home then head up to Nebraska on Wednesday?  

Travel plans for Wednesday are being coordinated with the NCAA; there will be a send-off for the team at Johnson Stadium some time around mid-day Wednesday, details to follow.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I'M SO RELIEVED to get the answer to this perplexing question!! I've watched game after game where our guys are getting a treat at first base and wondered what that was about. I looked on line for an explanation without result, I've watched other teams to see if it was commonly done (obviously, it's not), and as a last resort was planning to ask one of you insiders on the sly in person some time. The fact that I never heard a TV announcer comment on it made me think it must be something of common knowledge. I didn't want to ask about it on the board for fear of embarrassing myself, thinking I was unaware of some well known baseball tradition or something from a famous baseball movie I'd missed!!

Knowing that it is a creation of this team, a development of the tedium of playing on the road, makes it seem like something really special - almost endearing. I love it now that I know what its about!

• Like 2