2023 CWS Game #1 - ORU vs. TCU

Old Titan

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

That could be the motto on the ORU Sports Forum coat of arms... 🧐

I was going to say that, but I restrained myself. 😄

Some "fightin' words" from this article: https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-baseball/previewing-the-mens-college-world-series/ 

"It’s safe to say that Florida got the easier side of the eight-team bracket as Oral Roberts and TCU are two of the weaker teams in the field."

😕

Geez......Do the Gators remember what we did to their Top 20 basketball team just two years ago?....heck, ORU can beat them in baseball too.....:tb-blue:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

And from this article: https://www.flobaseball.tv/articles/11051893-2023-cws-bracket-1-breakdown-will-oral-roberts-cinderella-run-continue ...

"The lowdown: Those that are perhaps just getting around to following college baseball this year have a right to be shocked that ORU is left standing and playing in Omaha."

To his credit, the writer goes on to say:

"To the untrained eye, after all, the Golden Eagles are merely a team from the Summit League – playing the likes of Western Illinois, St. Thomas and Northern Colorado in conference play – and is just the third No. 4 regional seed in history to make it to the MCWS. 

Those who are in the know and have followed the sport all season, however, know exactly how dangerous the Golden Eagles have been in 2023. "

And "But, while Golden Eagle baseball already is amid a dream run, why not continue to dream big?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 74Titan said:

Thoughts on ORU's chances in this year's CWS:

1. ORU does a good job of driving up pitch counts by the opposing pitchers. Patience has its rewards.

2. The boys push the envelope on advancing bases, whether by hit, stolen base, bunt, and/or by smart, aggressive base running.  Jonah, an excellent hitter (he doesn't walk much) and base stealer, presents a dual threat to opposing pitchers. 

3. They appear to be mentally tough. They'll need that in Omaha, against really good teams.

4. Overall, the starting pitchers are average. It's been awhile since a starting pitcher went 7 innings on a consistent basis.

Giving up 4-5 runs in 5 innings-or less-puts undo pressure on relief pitching, which has generally been by committee, other than Cade. Cade is good. He's also human. He wasn't used in game 3 in Eugene. May that repeat itself in Omaha.

I can see God's hand in both regionals. OSU went out early. Perhaps they were overrated. Regardless, ORU made the most of opposing mistakes (walks, errors, hit batters, mental errors) in Stillwater and Eugene. Eleven (11) walks to ORU in one game?  Did ORU's ability to go through starting pitchers aid in this happening? 

ORU's CWS bracket is winnable. The other bracket has Wake Forest (they're #1 for a reason), LSU, and others. I can see this working to ORU's advantage, with ORU playing in the (perhaps) weaker bracket, on the way to playing in the finals. 

I hope ORU does well. Up your game in the field, and at the plate. Stay focused. They showed this in Eugene. 

They need to show this in Omaha. They can. They must. 

Any analysis of this year’s ORU team and its chances in the College World Series MUST include a mention of team defense. The infield defense is ELITE - and made web gems and sparkling plays again and again over the weekend in Eugene. Very few teams in the country would have been able to make all of the same defensive stops.  And the outfield D is very good, with some flashes of amazing catches throughout the season, especially in CF. Defense is what will keep ORU in the game until the bats warm up, and will play a significant role in Omaha. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Any analysis of this year’s ORU team and its chances in the College World Series MUST include a mention of team defense. The infield defense is ELITE - and made web gems and sparkling plays again and again over the weekend in Eugene. Very few teams in the country would have been able to make all of the same defensive stops.  And the outfield D is very good, with some flashes of amazing catches throughout the season, especially in CF. Defense is what will keep ORU in the game until the bats warm up, and will play a significant role in Omaha. 

Spot on as usual TB82.  I was in numerous group chats during the Oregon series games.  One was with two guys from my wedding party.  One of them is the OSU fan I've mentioned before.  After yet another amazing play in the infield they both commented how elite our infield defense is.  The OSU guy declared it the difference in game 2.  So objective parties see it the same way.

Are we going to see you in Omaha this weekend?

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

D1 baseball's preview of ORU...

That was some good analysis.

Mike Rooney!  "just miraculous"....I see what you did!

Just flew in from DFW on a 737, and all 18 first class seats were LSU purple collared shirts. Im sporting an ORU shirt and a couple guys grabbed my arm going down the isle and let me know they're rooting for ORU. I sense we are America's team in this series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Are we going to see you in Omaha this weekend?

I can’t get there for Friday, but am hoping to make it for Sunday’s game.  If not, the Tuesday and/or Wednesday game is a definite yes. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Just flew in from DFW on a 737, and all 18 first class seats were LSU purple collared shirts. Im sporting an ORU shirt and a couple guys grabbed my arm going down the isle and let me know they're rooting for ORU. I sense we are America's team in this series.

"America's team." I love that! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Any idea who TCU is putting on the mound tomorrow? Assuming Kole Kleckner who looked really good last weekend vs. Indiana St.......expecting Jakob Hall for ORU...  TheEagleman feels we will need to score some runs tomorrow....probably more than 5....won't be easy vs. Kleckner.....Hall may need to throw the game of his life for 6-7 innings then hand it off to Widener or Patton then Denton......GO BLUE!!!! :shield-logo:

44 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Any idea who TCU is putting on the mound tomorrow? Assuming Kole Kleckner who looked really good last weekend vs. Indiana St.......expecting Jakob Hall for ORU...  TheEagleman feels we will need to score some runs tomorrow....probably more than 5....won't be easy vs. Kleckner.....Hall may need to throw the game of his life for 6-7 innings then hand it off to Widener or Patton then Denton......GO BLUE!!!! :shield-logo:

Jakob Hall's aunt graduated with me from Bixby (in fact, we both went to Bixby K-12). We've been chatting during these last couple of wkds during the games. She is one proud aunt! 

• Like 4