Confirmed: Paul Mills to Wichita State

Old Titan

The downside for us is that it makes more room for ORU players to follow Mills…I sure hope not!  

Rob

One team trait new coach Paul Mills wants to bring with him to Wichita State basketball

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

MARCH 29, 2023 7:00 AM

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article273719360.html

WSU currently has seven scholarship players on its roster: juniors Colby Rogers, Jaron Pierre, Xavier Bell and Quincy Ballard, sophomores Jalen Ricks and Isaac Abidde and incoming freshman Makhi Myles.

With no point guards currently on the roster, ball handling is sure to be targeted by Mills in his first recruiting class for the Shockers. In his Sports Daily interview, Mills said he invests heavily in his program with player development. Ball handling should be a pillar of that work this offseason.

“Priority number one for me is you have to have a work ethic,” Mills said.

46 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

One team trait new coach Paul Mills wants to bring with him to Wichita State basketball

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

MARCH 29, 2023 7:00 AM

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article273719360.html

WSU currently has seven scholarship players on its roster: juniors Colby Rogers, Jaron Pierre, Xavier Bell and Quincy Ballard, sophomores Jalen Ricks and Isaac Abidde and incoming freshman Makhi Myles.

With no point guards currently on the roster, ball handling is sure to be targeted by Mills in his first recruiting class for the Shockers. In his Sports Daily interview, Mills said he invests heavily in his program with player development. Ball handling should be a pillar of that work this offseason.

“Priority number one for me is you have to have a work ethic,” Mills said.

Two things come out to me in this article.

1.  Paul Mills is a tactician and will always find ways to build efficiencies and put people in the space that best fits their talents for the team.  He seems to be always thinking ahead.

2.  WSU needs ball handlers.  To that end, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max Abmas and/or Kareem Thompson playing another year of college basketball if other options do not come up. They can bridge the gap to a long-term solution for taking care of the basketball.

5 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Two things come out to me in this article.

1.  Paul Mills is a tactician and will always find ways to build efficiencies and put people in the space that best fits their talents for the team.  He seems to be always thinking ahead.

2.  WSU needs ball handlers.  To that end, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max Abmas and/or Kareem Thompson playing another year of college basketball if other options do not come up. They can bridge the gap to a long-term solution for taking care of the basketball.

Good points made. Coach Mills and I have lots in common with regards to being a tactician.

18 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I'd like to submit my vote for this thread and any Paul Mills thread to be moved to the NCAA/General board. 😇

Cecily Strong Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• 3 weeks later...

"TEACHER SAYS EVERY TIME PAUL MILLS WEARS A SPORTCOAT, AN ANGEL GETS ITS WINGS."

(Needs to add a black one to the closet, though - or maybe even Shocker Gold!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

"TEACHER SAYS EVERY TIME PAUL MILLS WEARS A SPORTCOAT, AN ANGEL GETS ITS WINGS."

(Needs to add a black one to the closet, though - or maybe even Shocker Gold!)

I would never eat Chester’s unless it was the last viable option….😂

1 hour ago, ORUFanbase said:

I would never eat Chester’s unless it was the last viable option….😂

You would if there is $$$ involved. 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve never been to Oklahoma, but whenever I make it to my first ORU basketball game I for sure am finding a Chicken n Pickle! 

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

I’ve never been to Oklahoma, but whenever I make it to my first ORU basketball game I for sure am finding a Chicken n Pickle! 

Nice. Where is that at? Waldo’s Chicken is on my bucket list. 

Upon further review the “pickle” portion is actual pickle ball! I’m out.

Guess I’ll be checking out Waldo’s instead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Never been to Oklahoma? I, and I’m sure others on the board, assumed with your user name that you were an ORU grad! How did you become an ORU fan having never been to Oklahoma or attended ORU?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

One of these years I hope to make it out in February to catch a basketball and baseball game over a weekend.

Go Titans and Golden Eagles! 

Yes, a pilgrimage is long overdue! 

5 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Not an ORU grad, just an ORU fan living in the Land of Lincoln. I have completed some courses through the ORU Online Bible Institute for what that's worth. 

As a believer it was the man Oral Roberts that I was always fascinated by growing up as a kid and when I learned more about him and the university he started, I began following the Titans back in the mid 80's and have just kind of stuck with them over the years. I've managed to pick up a few basketball media guides off eBay to learn more about the history of the program and really just believe in what the ORU mission is all about!

One of these years I hope to make it out in February to catch a basketball and baseball game over a weekend.

Go Titans and Golden Eagles! 

Well, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. 

26 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

I began following the Titans back in the mid 80's and have just kind of stuck with them over the years.

I was going to jokingly ask if it was the great ORU teams of the mid-80's that drew you in as a fan but turns out it actually was. That's awesome!! 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1