Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Maybe Josh Jones IS going to play significant minutes as a freshman!

I’m still hoping for a big man signing…

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Me too. I think it's the missing piece.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Fans of 350+ other Division 1 teams are hoping the same thing…

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Fans of 350+ other Division 1 teams are hoping the same thing…

But do they actually need it as bad as we do! 😉

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Thanks for sharing. I don’t see Arkansas being a fit for him. Alabama or Baylor are better destinations for Grant.

Grant won’t be the guy of course at any of these schools but could play like a SG when starters rest and play a PF role when starters are in and be an Obanor like player.

Bama is becoming a house hold name in Basketball with Nate Oates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking at ON 3's transfer portal rankings and out of the top 100 players, 36 went from mid major teams to major schools but only 1 went to a mid major (San Francisco).  Wonder who benefits from the portal?  Head scratcher

On a side note: Ashton Smith (Texas AM to ORU) was ranked as the 207 top transfer, even though he has basically not played in two years.   Hope they are right and he has a breakout year!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Here's a Tulsa World article about the impact of the transfer portal--on ORU & its former players, and on TU's former players.

Transfer portal tales blend success with potential woe

BARRY LEWIS

A year after finishing with a perfect record in the Summit League and going 30-5 overall, Oral Roberts finished the 2023-24 regular season at 11-18 and with a seven-game losing streak after Sunday's dreary 71-54 setback to Kansas City at Mabee Center.

It would have been interesting to see what this season's Golden Eagles could have done if Max Abmas and Connor Vanover had returned for them, but they never recovered from their departures.

Abmas' move to Texas after graduating from ORU has worked out great for him. Two weeks ago, he became the 12th player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 career points. He is showing to everyone nationally what those who watched him at ORU already knew — he can be an elite player game in and game out against Power-Five competition. Abmas has delivered two winning buzzer-beaters this season and is averaging 16.5 points as the Longhorns are 19-10 after Saturday's win over Oklahoma State.

But for every transfer success story, there is a portal move that turns out to be a bust on the court.

The 7-foot-3 Vanover was ORU's leading rebounder and second-leading scorer in his first season with the Golden Eagles last year, and also was second nationally in blocking shots, but moved to Missouri for his sixth and final collegiate year. Vanover had previous stints at California and Arkansas, but those programs didn't use his skill set as well as ORU did and as a result he enjoyed his best year.

Vanover has a chance to have a rare experience — going from being a premier player on a team that had a perfect conference record to being sparingly used on a team that is about to go winless in conference — from 18-0 to 0-18 if Missouri loses its last two. He only averages four points, 2.7 rebounds and 0.8 blocks in 12 minutes per game.

There also have been mixed results from those who left ORU's crosstown rival, Tulsa, after last season.

Sam Griffin, who was TU's top scorer last season, is averaging a career-high 17 points for Wyoming, which is 13-16. He should reach 2,000 career points in his next game. Webster graduate Anthony Pritchard is averaging a career-high 13.6 points for Central Michigan (16-13). Brandon Betson (Sacramento State) is posting similar numbers as he did last year and Tim Dalger left Saint Louis' program in January due to a family matter.

Bryant Selebangue, who averaged 12 points and 9.2 rebounds last season for TU, isn't doing as well at Arizona State (14-15), where he averages only 4.9 points and four rebounds in 15.9 minutes per game.

• Like 1

Patrick Mwamba is playing 11.5 minutes per game at Loyola contributing an average of  2.7 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.

• Upvote 1