Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

At least he didn’t go to WSU. I’ve heard that Patrick’s family in Africa needs the money, so I assume he is getting NIL funds. Not sure how he gets an extra transfer or how a foreign player on a student visa gets NIL money. 

I enjoyed seeing Mwamba play and appreciate all that he did for us during the season. I hope he does well, but not sure that Chicago is a good choice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Patrick Mwamba is gone - headed to Loyola-Chicago.  smh on that one.  

Dang, was hoping he would return.

• Upvote 2

I really didn’t expect to see Connor back - after hearing that he wasn’t interested in playing for ORU or anyone else at the college level - so that doesn’t bother me as much as Patrick leaving. 

I’d love to know what advice these guys are getting from within the program and from outside. I’d also love to know what motivates these guys to want to leave. Or not want to stay. I know NIL money completely changes the equation, but how does loyalty enter into consideration? Or does it? Loyalty is something I struggle with - in the opposite direction. We changed cell phone carriers recently and I could hardly sleep that night worrying that we had broken ranks with our old carrier to save $10/month!! So it’s kinda hard for me to understand the eagerness to jump around like some of these guys are doing.

• Upvote 1

ORU not having a coaching staff in place can't be helping with retaining or bringing in new players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

ORU's best hope in the portal is to continue to find some guys from bigger name schools or maybe Power 5 schools, who sit at the end of the bench.  Then hopefully those guys who never found a spot at the big schools can replace some of the main guys the Eagles are losing.  That's the problem when a mid major is successful, then often the next year they usually lose their top 3-4 guys to the portal.  Just part of the college basketball landscape.  

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

ORU was in the mix

College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Sister Jean is happy.

• Upvote 2

Pretty big flop for WSU to miss on Mwamba. Especially since Paulino recruited him. What is their closing percentage on ORU players they are recruiting? 0-3… with 2 of those 3 taking official visits to Wichita only to look around and say “Thanks but no thanks..” and the one who refused to visit was none other than Max Abmas. 

And too bad they look Jacob Germany now that Connor is in the portal. No opportunity there at that position. 

At which point in the swings and misses has Coach Mills begun to question his decision? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

At which point in the swings and misses has Coach Mills begun to question his decision? 🤔

Paul is still getting more than $1.5M annually over five years, which makes the swings and misses "a part of the gig".  It is going to take WSU a couple of years to get their coach and rhythm on the same page and their fans are not going to be patient, but that's part of the territory. 

WSU's facilities are not any better than ORU's - but they do have NIL $$$ to play with.  We will have our NIL soon to compete in the marketplace.  The fact that we are organizing a Collective is all that matters at this point.  We aren't going to wait for the talent to pass us by before getting our ducks in order.  🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

Paul is still getting more than $1.5M annually over five years, which makes the swings and misses "a part of the gig".  It is going to take WSU a couple of years to get their coach and rhythm on the same page and their fans are not going to be patient, but that's part of the territory. 

WSU's facilities are not any better than ORU's - but they do have NIL $$$ to play with.  We will have our NIL soon to compete in the marketplace.  The fact that we are organizing a Collective is all that matters at this point.  We aren't going to wait for the talent to pass us by before getting our ducks in order.  🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆

Bogus send me your new picture. Also sign me up to see how I can support the “Eternal Flame” collective. 

6 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

Bogus send me your new picture. Also sign me up to see how I can support the “Eternal Flame” collective. 

Actually, you can just right click on the avatar and save the image to your local drive.  Everyone can have an eternal flame for their use. 😀 🔥

Will have more information for everyone on the NIL once the organizing papers have been executed and filed.  We will also have more information on ELC website (www.eternalflamecollective.com) and on the Twitter page (https://twitter.com/EternalFlameNIL).

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I got a phone call late Monday night re: my post above from earlier in the day. 

I'm not at liberty to go into any detail about what was shared, but suffice it to say now that any suggestion Connor is being disloyal to ORU by moving on to another school, or speculating about why he might be entering the portal at this time, was just that:  speculation, and in my case, far off-base.

That's all I will have to say about it; don't ask me here (or PM me) for further details. 🤐

On the outside chance anyone here took my comments to heart, please instead "return to our original programming" of thinking highly of Connor and all that accomplished while at ORU, and realize (as I was reminded) that these guys have a lot going on in their lives, and that ultimately these career decisions, while often times puzzling to us, involve a wide variety of factors and influences.

(I'm comforted in assuming there were probably few ORU fans who agreed with my original comments anyway, but just in case anyone did, I felt compelled to refute my initial criticisms for Connor's sake.)

Looking forward to what the future holds for The Condor!

A very well-stated retraction, OT. I think your original post, more than anything, reveals the confusion that the current state of college  basketball has brought to fans. We don't really know what recommendations are being made by coaching staffs, family members or other outside influences. It's very possible, and even likely, that fans will misinterpret the reasoning behind the moves made by players based on our own self-serving assumptions. I certainly know I've been guilty of that.  

Given the current state of affairs, we can only wish these guys well and not put too much meaning behind their decisions to stay or go. 

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman wishes Connor the best in his life and career....seems like a very good guy and he gave us 110% all season in one of the best in ORU history.....thanks to the  "Condor" for all he did for ORU and causing me to give up the nasty habit of sports gambling....I am forever grateful.....🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Pretty big flop for WSU to miss on Mwamba. Especially since Paulino recruited him. What is their closing percentage on ORU players they are recruiting? 0-3… with 2 of those 3 taking official visits to Wichita only to look around and say “Thanks but no thanks..” and the one who refused to visit was none other than Max Abmas. 

And too bad they look Jacob Germany now that Connor is in the portal. No opportunity there at that position. 

It's true that WSU hasn't picked up any of the outgoing ORU players but the Shockers have added transfers that played significant D1 minutes.

ORU has lost all those players and only added transfers with zero or very minimal D1 playing time.

• Upvote 1

So are we saying that ORU is gonna stink in 2023-24?.....TheEagleman just guessing that our beloved Golden Eagles won't go 30-6.......Image result for george costanza