Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

6 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Golden Eagles Oru GIF by Oral Roberts UniversityThere is a great place he can play at in 23-24. Just sayin…..

• Upvote 1

Grant Nelson and :circle-logoi:....Perfect Together!!! 

Big loss for NDSU and the league...another guy that is about to get paid 

Draftniks are saying this is a leverage move by Nelson in response to him getting an invite a couple of days ago to the NBA Combine. 

He's hoping NBA GM's might worry about him returning to NCAA play (and a big NIL deal at a new P5 program) if they don't assure him they'll pick him in the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Wait just a gosh darn minute here.  I was scolded on numerous occasions by the Bison faithful when I suggested that this young man was not ready for the NBA.  Kareem Thompson would make him look like the mere mortal that he is and they would say "No!  He's a lock for the first round."

This comes today from Mike McFeely.

Nelson entering the portal comes on the same day the 6-foot-11 forward was finally mentioned among top college players on a mainstream NBA Draft board. The Athletic's Sam Vecenie had Nelson at No. 75 on his Top 100 Big Board, published Tuesday.  It follows feedback from NBA executives that tabbed Nelson as a potential second-round pick.

9 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

I hope that Connor finds what he is looking for.  Our offense, and its freedom, fits his style; however, he may be looking for a coach that focuses on "bigs" and will help him with his work around the basket, including playing with his back to the basket, as well as his shots facing the basket on the wing. 

Connor is a unique talent that I believe Springmann and his staff could improve, but I understand if he feels that he needs to play against high-major talent (assuming that they will give him the minutes he is looking for).  

I look forward to watching his progress, wherever he may land (which I can only hope would be with ORU, but is highly unlikely).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

ORU has lost all those players and only added transfers with zero or very minimal D1 playing time.

Of the 7 players that entered the portal (Phipps, Weaver, Thompson, Clover, Abmas, Mwamba and Vanover), potentially 3 are coming back. Of the remaining 4, Mwamba was the only one that ORU was re-recruiting to stay. I would be shocked if Vanover will ever play another second of college basketball, Max was never coming back to ORU, and Clover is a division 2 level player. 

I have liked the fits for the two players that ORU has gotten in Moore and Miller. And I do believe there will be more additions as the window closes to add names in the portal as well as spring signing period closes. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I hope that Connor finds what he is looking for.  Our offense, and its freedom, fits his style; however, he may be looking for a coach that focuses on "bigs" and will help him with his work around the basket, including playing with his back to the basket, as well as his shots facing the basket on the wing. 

Connor is a unique talent that I believe Springmann and his staff could improve, but I understand if he feels that he needs to play against high-major talent (assuming that they will give him the minutes he is looking for).  

I look forward to watching his progress, wherever he may land (which I can only hope would be with ORU, but is highly unlikely).

I'm not sure if he'll ever be strong enough to hold his own under the hoop. It'll take a lot to get him strong enough. McBride and him would be a great combination! Best to where ever he goes. I think it's about the NIL money.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 4:38 PM, jmg1984 said:

I'm not sure if he'll ever be strong enough to hold his own under the hoop. It'll take a lot to get him strong enough. McBride and him would be a great combination! Best to where ever he goes. I think it's about the NIL money.

Played in Portsmouth Invitational and didn't play great. Blocked some shots but didn't shoot very well. Didn't get invited to NBA combine or GLeague combine. 

Thought he would sign with someone overseas and get going on his professional career. May not have gotten great offers and seeing what he can make if he stay another year in college. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

Played in Portsmouth Invitational and didn't play great. Blocked some shots but didn't shoot very well. Didn't get invited to NBA combine or GLeague combine. 

Thought he would sign with someone overseas and get going on his professional career. May not have gotten great offers and seeing what he can make if he stay another year in college. 

A well formed response as always!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

There must be a typo on that list since Tulsa doesn't recruit the same players as ORU. 😉

The old adage of “TU doesn’t recruit the same players as ORU” is now history. After last year, the Golden Hurricane finally realized that they needed to step up the level of their recruits to match ORU. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5