Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

ORU has three roster shots open for next year but their biggest need is a center.  It would be great to find someone in the portal who can come in and start right away.  Ideally the Eagles would find a big from a Power 5 school who mainly sat on the bench last year but a guy from a mid major with potential or some experience would work, too.  

The updated roster is mostly stretch 4's (Weaver, Herron, and Moore).  It will be interesting to see who ORU finds in the portal to fill that center position.  I am hoping we hit it big and find another star such as Connor was last year!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

via Washington State

google translate: 

The native of Christ the King Carlos Rosario visited the University of Toledo Rosario will visit Oral Roberts this week and will make her decision on May 19th The NCAA is filling up with the Domis

Who is this "Spain" tweet referencing - another international player visiting/committing?

(True confessions:  I initially tweeted & deleted that this news was re: Washington State portalist Carlos Rosario, but he's from the Dominican Republic, not Spain...)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Came off the bench in 2022-23 to average 2.2 ppg in 22 games off the bench.  FG% - 42.5%; 3P% - 31.3%; FT% - 52.6%.  A native of the DR, it appears that he has two years of eligibility left with a medical redshirt potentially available.

https://wsucougars.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/carlos-rosario/12045

5 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Came off the bench in 2022-23 to average 2.2 ppg in 22 games off the bench.  FG% - 42.5%; 3P% - 31.3%; FT% - 52.6%.  A native of the DR, it appears that he has two years of eligibility left with a medical redshirt potentially available.

https://wsucougars.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/carlos-rosario/12045

I’m part Dominican and this would be great pick-up!excited world baseball classic GIF by MLB

Edited by ORUFanbase

6-7, 180???

52.6% from the charity stripe???

Better get Carlos into some serious weight training and hours in the practice gym. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

6-7, 180???

52.6% from the charity stripe???

Better get Carlos into some serious weight training and hours in the practice gym. 

Yeah, he has "project" written all over him, even at his age.

In 217 minutes over 22 games this past season, he had 35 (!) fouls and 13 turnovers, with just 4 blocks and 5 steals.

I will try to get more excited if he does choose ORU...

A little bit of tape on Carlos . Tape is made by a 3rd party so there is some good and bad clips in it.

28 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

A little bit of tape on Carlos . Tape is made by a 3rd party so there is some good and bad clips in it.

The tape looks more encoraging than his stats; he might stand out after all vs. Summit League competition.

He is somewhat similar to Miller (Rutgers) in that Rosario has two years experience at a Power 5 team and was basically their 8-9 man struggling to see the court.  Connor (Arkansas) and Trey (OU) were also in that same role on their teams.  We have talked about it before but usually the Eagles best bet in the portal is to find a guy who sat on the bench from a power 5 team.  

19 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

He is somewhat similar to Miller (Rutgers) in that Rosario has two years experience at a Power 5 team and was basically their 8-9 man struggling to see the court.  Connor (Arkansas) and Trey (OU) were also in that same role on their teams.  We have talked about it before but usually the Eagles best bet in the portal is to find a guy who sat on the bench from a power 5 team.  

I think Coach Springmann has a knack for projecting the potential of a player and encourage him to work towards bettering himself and his skills.  However, that potential is never realized unless the player wants to "put in the work" and is willing to sacrifice in time and effort to see if he can be the player his coach thinks he can be.

• Upvote 1

Minor correction for Trey (...never saw the floor unless..). In his first six games at OU in 2020 he averaged 11.5 minutes and 7.6 points per game. After that his minutes decreased significantly.

25 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

Minor correction for Trey (...never saw the floor unless..). In his first six games at OU in 2020 he averaged 11.5 minutes and 7.6 points per game. After that his minutes decreased significantly.

It was also quickly pointed out to me via text that Trey turned down scholarship offers from TU and other schools before accepting a full-ride with the Sooners.  The post has been corrected; it was very poorly worded. 

The point I was awkwardly trying to make re: the four players mentioned is this:  just because a guy is buried on the bench at a P5 does not automatically mean he will/can make meaningful contributions at a place like ORU.

P.S.  I for one am glad Trey has reportedly taken his name out of the portal and is returning.  No one works harder on the team, and ANY returning letterman with significant experience such as Trey, DJ, Kareem and Issac only helps solidify what will be something of a patchwork roster this season.

• Like 5