Transfer Portal 2023

Eaglefan 21

32 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Oh well….I guess I’ll be one of the very few Dominicans associated with ORU in 23-24 😂

Even if those numbers improved drastically I'm not sure how a slight 6'7" player helps against 5s in the Summit.

Need a big or two to match up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is from an article on Denver's website. Wise words?

"In a strange twist of fate, the portal departures may level the playing field in the conference while rewarding teams that retain a core of good but not great players. Team chemistry may trump individual skill in this brave new world of college basketball."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

At the end of the day 1761 players have entered the transfer portal, which is basically the same as last year (1759).  A few grad transfers may enter as the summer goes along.  In fact one did today from Mississippi State, McNair, who is 6'11 and from Phili.  Maybe Eagleman can give him a text and have the big guy sign with ORU.  Eagleman you still got your Phili connections? 

• Haha 1

NDSU's Grant Nelson, straddling the transfer portal and the upcoming NBA draft, has a decision to make soon:  the deadline for withdrawing from the draft and maintaining college eligibility is June 1st.

According to the draftniks, Nelson did just enough in skills tests and two games at the NBA Combine this past week (6.5 points, 3.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 0.5 blocks per contest coming off the bench) to warrant a mid-to-late second round selection.

Nelson has stated that if any team says they intend to pick him, he's staying in.  If he decides otherwise by June 1st, Kentucky, Houston and Arkansas are among several P5's that have reached out.

Anywhere but NDSU, Tulsa, and Wichita State is fine by me...

• Upvote 5

On 5/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, titansforever said:

This is from an article on Denver's website. Wise words?

"In a strange twist of fate, the portal departures may level the playing field in the conference while rewarding teams that retain a core of good but not great players. Team chemistry may trump individual skill in this brave new world of college basketball."

This may have a ray of truth, but I believe the real winners in the conference will be those that win the transfer portal sweepstakes and bring in talent to complement those players that are staying.  ORU‘s success in 22-23 was largely based on portal wins with McBride, Vanover and Mwamba playing significant roles on the team. 

While retaining good players and team chemistry will be important, teams that focus on home-grown talent and attempt to fill voids lost to the transfer portal with incoming freshman will consistently find themselves in the bottom half of the league standings, even with “great chemistry”.  

• Upvote 3

While this is generally true, Wyoming showed that bringing in ‘great’ talent did not result in a successful season. 

53 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

While this is generally true, Wyoming showed that bringing in ‘great’ talent did not result in a successful season. 

For every instance where an influx of transfer talent resulted in instant chemistry and success (such as for ORU), there is a corresponding example of older teams with veteran “culture” guys form a whole that exceeds the previous sum of the same parts.

And, as Terry mentioned, horror stories like TU where none of the mercenaries click, and the result is disastrous.

Fair to say there are simply more ways for mid-majors to “dance” these days?

• Like 3

I forgot about TU’s train wreck. Since they had 11 or 12 players leave, we will get to see if they get it right this time. 

• Upvote 1

Bison fans on the NDSU message board posting rumors that Grant Nelson will withdraw from the NBA draft by Thursday's deadline and play another year in college, though most doubt it will be in Fargo.

He tested pretty well at the combine but looked overmatched in scrimmages. Someone is going to give him a pretty good NIL deal to portal i would think.

• Upvote 2

Just now, darrenj said:

He tested pretty well at the combine but looked overmatched in scrimmages. Someone is going to give him a pretty good NIL deal to portal i would think.

The rumor is it's Kentucky:  John Calipari has over-played his hand so far this portal season; waiting for big names to come around while over half his roster defected.  Now he's really needing bodies...

Anyone have any clue who ORU may be looking at in the portal to fill this last spot on the roster?  Maybe 2 or 3 names that the Eagles are going after?  Thanks

Not sure if Josh Farmer from UTSA is on the list but he might be one to pursue.  He is 6'10 and 200 (yes a little thin) but averaged 5 points and 3 rebounds for the Roadrunners.  Farmer is from Houston and may know some of the guys from that area on the Eagles team.

Golden Eagles need to go after Timme from Gonzaga....he may play until he's 30...or maybe we could coax Kevin Obanor to make a return trip to Tulsa???....:k_obanor:

• Haha 1