ORU at St. Thomas

Old Titan

So much to love in this game-clinching play by Patrick Mwamba:  his cross-over dribble at mid-court to shake the defender and get the dunk is only surpassed by his ferocity in ripping the rebound away...from his own teammate, Kareem Thompson!! 🤣💪🏾

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

I would like to see a lot of points in the paint from Isaac, Max and Conner.

17 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

And Carlos and Patrick.

I say something insightful maybe 2 or 3 times a year but I think this qualifies 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

12 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Scanning tweets about the game from the Tommie faithful. ORU Basketball has advanced so far that we are now a moral victory if you only lose by 7 at home to us. 

Tommies coach post game press conference: it’s pick your poison. They can all shoot the 3 and all drive on you and score in the lane. How do you stop that? (My paraphrase)

He is precisely right. It's what makes this team so lethal. They can have an off night, as all teams do, but on a usual night ANY PLAYER, including those off the bench, can score. I keep wanting to use the word "magical" (and do!) to describe these guys. I felt like Blue did a pretty good job guarding Max, and it felt like Max was a bit off (at least in the first half!), and was distributing the ball because of that - and he still had 27 points!! In the meantime, McBride, Weaver, Mwamba and Jurgens were all in double figures as well. Five players in double figures! What a wonderful team to follow!!

• Like 3

Mwamba is a BEAST....start him on Saturday if Vanover is a no go......:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

ORUBlue82 mentioned Isaac having a bit of an off night last night, which I didn't notice so much, but I was thinking this as I watched him play - as much as we're going to miss Max (he's a once per decade if not a once in a lifetime player for a mid-major like ORU) we're going to be just fine with McBride at the helm (assuming he's around next year - you can't count on anything with the transfer portal looming darkly over college basketball). He's a very talented point guard with superb leadership and scoring skills. I think he's ready to step into that role as leader of the team, when the time comes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Mwamba is a BEAST....start him on Saturday if Vanover is a no go......:circle-logoi:

Yeah, let him get better. Need him 100% for the tournament 

39 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

ORUBlue82 mentioned Isaac having a bit of an off night last night, which I didn't notice so much, but I was thinking this as I watched him play - as much as we're going to miss Max (he's a once per decade if not a once in a lifetime player for a mid-major like ORU) we're going to be just fine with McBride at the helm (assuming he's around next year - you can't count on anything with the transfer portal looming darkly over college basketball). He's a very talented point guard with superb leadership and scoring skills. I think he's ready to step into that role as leader of the team, when the time comes.

Issac's play has been so sublime this year.  He has toiled in Max's shadow for two seasons yet has thrived and improved along the way.  Check out this stat:

• Like 1

Just now, Old Titan said:

Issac's play has been so sublime this year.  He has toiled in Max's shadow for two seasons yet has thrived and improved along the way. 

PERFECTLY stated. I keep wanting to say he's my favorite player, but my favorite changes with every game!!

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

If they had happened as normal just after the 16:00 marks, the Tommies' two big runs during those times (against an apparently hobbled Conner Vanover) might have been stymied earlier and without as much blood lost in the scoring column.

Might have been a good time for a time out. Especially first half. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think this is a huge win for several reasons beyond keeping streaks alive. We had one of our worst overall defensive performances in a while, combined with getting Marcelloed by their guy in the second half, but still found a way to win. It was a noisy hostile crowd, but we seemed to feed off it, especially Max (and Tommies announcer noticed).  Conner had a rough game, but DJ and Mwamba stepped up big time. Total team effort to win. And it’s pretty clear to me that winning is all those guys on the court care about regardless of personal stats. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

I think this is a huge win for several reasons beyond keeping streaks alive. We had one of our worst overall defensive performances in a while, combined with getting Marcelloed by their guy in the second half, but still found a way to win. It was a noisy hostile crowd, but we seemed to feed off it, especially Max (and Tommies announcer noticed).  Conner had a rough game, but DJ and Mwamba stepped up big time. Total team effort to win. And it’s pretty clear to me that winning is all those guys on the court care about regardless of personal stats. 

I think it helped that, unlike many times in the Dakotas,the officiating crew had all called at least one game including ORU this season, with at least one of them at the Mabee Center. 

One of the guys had only called one game with ORU, but it was ironically vs. St. Thomas in Tulsa.  This was the fourth game with ORU for one of the other guys.  All of the games had been ORU wins.

I didn't think they were great, but they did put ORU on the line when it counted late, and when it appeared that an exhausted Tommies team was grabbing and holding more and more.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I think it helped that, unlike many times in the Dakotas,the officiating crew had all called at least one game including ORU this season, with at least one of them at the Mabee Center. 

One of the guys had only called one game with ORU, but it was ironically vs. St. Thomas in Tulsa.  This was the fourth game with ORU for one of the other guys.  All of the games had been ORU wins.

I didn't think they were great, but they did put ORU on the line when it counted late, and when it appeared that an exhausted Tommies team was grabbing and holding more and more.

I think the refs were busy calling fouls on our women's team last night as they played the Tommies in Tulsa. 😞 Lots of questionable calls, at least in the eyes of some fans who were very vocal with their disagreement.

• Upvote 1

I liked what the announcer said about Max, "I think the only time this guy isn't scoring, is because he doesn't feel like it."

Is there a safer place for the ball to be in the final minutes of the game (anywhere in college basketball) than Max Abmas hands? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2