ORU at St. Thomas

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Not just match-ups; something was wrong with HIM:  big wrap on his left knee, not moving AT ALL.  He's either hurt, or sick - not himself at all.

I agree.

Hopefully he can recover quickly because he didn't look like himself out there. We absolutely NEED CV at close to 100% to have success in the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Milestones tonight:

• Max is now the all-time leader in 3's for the Summit League, pasing Michael Watson of UMKC.
  • ORU's 9 straight wins is the 4th-longest active winning streak in the country, dating back to the 1/9 loss at New Mexico, which severed a 10-game winning streak.
  • ORU's win and Western Illinois' loss to KC means ORU has clinched at least 2nd place in the regular season, and will play on Saturday in Sioux Falls with a Sunday rest day.
  • Coach Mills is just two victories away now from 100 wins for his career (98-83 in his sixth season).

Update:  within the last hour, KenPom has updated ORU's active winning streak to the THIRD-longest in the country.  

Somebody with a great record apparently lost tonight, but I can't figure out who:  Eastern Washington has the longest streak at 14 games; they don't play till Saturday.  Saint Mary's has the 2nd-longest streak at 12 games; they're currently in a tight one with Loyola Marymount. 

Wonder who had the 3rd-longest streak earlier tonight?

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Update:  within the last hour, KenPom has updated ORU's active winning streak to the THIRD-longest in the country.  

Somebody with a great record apparently lost tonight, but I can't figure out who:  Eastern Washington has the longest streak at 14 games; they don't play till Saturday.  Saint Mary's has the 2nd-longest streak at 12 games; they're currently in a tight one with Loyola Marymount. 

Wonder who had the 3rd-longest streak earlier tonight?

Answering my own question:  Louisiana had a 10-game streak that was broken Thursday night by Southern Miss.

• Like 1

Defense struggled tonight and St. Thomas shot the ball very well.  The Tommies remind me somewhat of ORU from say last year, in that they play mostly small ball and shoot a lot of threes.  I still like the good guys in a track meet style game where you see who can get to 90 first.  Usually the Eagles win about 90% percent of those (did lose one to Utah State earlier in the year).

Great to be 13-0 in conference play!  Exciting times for ORU fans!

• Like 1

Not one of Max's best games (still better than most in D1, but you know what I mean), and certainly one of Conner's worst (for whatever reason). 

Kareem and Issac just OK (for them).  Carlos, Patrick and DJ picked up the slack in big ways. 

Fortunate to come out with a win on the road against an opponent that was hitting on all cylinders.

CELEBRATE ALL VICTORIES (especially on the road).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Answering my own question:  Louisiana had a 10-game streak that was broken Thursday night by Southern Miss.

Crazy night:  Saint Mary's falls in overtime at Loyola Marymount; Golden Eagles now have the SECOND-longest active winning streak in D1, behind Eastern Washington (who will now take over the Mountain and Pacific time zones on that goofy "unbeaten in conference play" map).

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

I had to turn off my ad blocker, then it worked fine in chrome

Yes. None of the Summit streams work for me unless I disable my ad blocker (Chrome on Mac).

( @Otis 83 thought you might want to know. 🤣)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Texasgrip said:

Yes. None of the Summit streams work for me unless I disable my ad blocker (Chrome on Mac).

( @Otis 83 thought you might want to know. 🤣)

Great to know - here's how!

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Not one of Max's best games (still better than most in D1, but you know what I mean), and certainly one of Conner's worst (for whatever reason). 

Kareem and Issac just OK (for them).  Carlos, Patrick and DJ picked up the slack in big ways. 

Fortunate to come out with a win on the road against an opponent that was hitting on all cylinders.

CELEBRATE ALL VICTORIES (especially on the road).

And this is what makes this team so dangerous. So many weapons, and you never know who is going to shine on any given night, but two or three ALWAYS do.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

And this is what makes this team so dangerous. So many weapons, and you never know who is going to shine on any given night, but two or three ALWAYS do.  

Jurgens was really impresive on the offensive end, but it was Mwamba who changed the game in both halves when he subbed in for the first time.

Strange thing that kept Patrick off the floor longer than usual:  the first media timeouts of each half (when he now always enters the game) came WAY later that normal (12:48 in the first half, 13:09 in the second half).

If they had happened as normal just after the 16:00 marks, the Tommies' two big runs during those times (against an apparently hobbled Conner Vanover) might have been stymied earlier and without as much blood lost in the scoring column.

• Upvote 2

ORU allows 16 threes, which is the most since the Utah State game.  It was puzzling to see the Eagles double team Bjorkland in the post and then leave shooters open.  Blue for St. Thomas had a good look with about a minute left to tie the game.  Blessed to win this one tonight and would expect Coach to challenge the guys to play better defense on Saturday afternoon.  

The Tommies are improving and each game they get closer and closer.  They have three freshmen that will continue to improve as time goes on.  St. Thomas gave ORU their best shot and just came up a little short.  I could tell from the beginning that is was a huge game for the home team.

• Upvote 1

Tommies battled hard but good teams find a way to win and this ORU squad is very resourceful....Weaver and Mwamba off the bench tonight came up huge....Jurgens with the big first half and Max came thru as usual in the 2nd.....TheEagleman is very proud of this team at 22-4.....now on to WIU and another tough road contest in just 36 hours....brutal but the Good Guys will be ready as always....any word on the Vanover injury?.....looks like he may not be available on Saturday which would probably bring Weaver or Mwamba in the starting line up.....:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Congrats, Voice....we love you brother!! Is this #1?...#2??....or maybe #3??? Hope she's an ORU fan...😍

She could care less about sports. But, she's the best Christian woman I've ever known. So, I've got that going for me. 

And just for the record...I told you this one was going to be a tussle. Glad to get out of there with a W. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I've been watching The Chosen. In the last episode, Jesus tells John to stay back and wait for Simon before joining Him and the others in the Decapolis. John doesn't want to wait, but Jesus tells him, "The success of our mission depends on Simon."

Before every game, Coach Mills should pull each player aside individually and say, "The success of our mission depends on YOU." 

It seems like Carlos, especially, got that message last night!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Scanning tweets about the game from the Tommie faithful. ORU Basketball has advanced so far that we are now a moral victory if you only lose by 7 at home to us. 

Tommies coach post game press conference: it’s pick your poison. They can all shoot the 3 and all drive on you and score in the lane. How do you stop that? (My paraphrase)

He is precisely right. It's what makes this team so lethal. They can have an off night, as all teams do, but on a usual night ANY PLAYER, including those off the bench, can score. I keep wanting to use the word "magical" (and do!) to describe these guys. I felt like Blue did a pretty good job guarding Max, and it felt like Max was a bit off (at least in the first half), and was distributing the ball because of that - and he still had 27 points!! In the meantime, McBride, Weaver, Mwamba and Jurgens were all in double figures as well. Five players in double figures! What a wonderful team to follow!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Coach was downright charming last night!! 

Loved the discussion of composure. I don't think a road game is played that we don't discuss that characteristic of this team. They don't get rattled or panic even when they're down by double digits. They stay level headed and play through adversity. They are just unshakeable. Love that aspect of this team - and it seems to be an identifying characteristic of every player

- including the bench!