Summit League 22-23 Predictions/Results

TrueBlue82

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

24 games into the Summit season, and home teams are a combined 17-7.  As road wins (and home losses) play a huge role in dividing contenders and pretenders, they are important to track.  However, this season, three of the seven road wins occurred in Grand Forks, where UND is now 0-3 at home.  As a result, road wins at UND are now expected, so only the other four road wins are truly distinguishing.

Road wins less home losses through three weeks (not including games at UND):

ORU   +2

KC     +1

Denver -1

Omaha -1

Western -1

All others - even

So, even though St. Thomas, USD, SDSU and NDSU are all above UMKC in the Summit standings, I believe UMKC (at +1) is in a good position to overtake them as the season plays out.

I've got the distinct feeling that, in the final analysis, a/the road win at Omaha will carry more cache than a/the road win at Denver.  Mavs appear to be finding their stride.

I still expect North Dakota to upset a few teams. They lost to South Dakota by 2 points and South Dakota State by 1 point. They are still struggling to determine their best rotation of players.

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Can you just imagine how excited the students are going to be when they return?  

I’m sure The Shot will be shown in chapel, and while I don’t expect every student to have the same reaction, I gotta believe the average student will be stoked to be at the Mabee Center this next weekend.

“Git yer popcorn ready!!”

I just looked up the ORU academic calendar for Spring 2023 and classes don’t start until January 19. That sounds crazy (and really late) to me, but that is what it says. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

I just looked up the ORU academic calendar for Spring 2023 and classes don’t start until January 19. That sounds crazy (and really late) to me, but that is what it says. 

Yes. @OKC Eagleand I were just discussing this (we both have kids attending). ORU is still on a 13-week "covid" semester schedule. The normal 15-week semester is scheduled to resume in the fall.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

24 games into the Summit season, and home teams are a combined 17-7.  As road wins (and home losses) play a huge role in dividing contenders and pretenders, they are important to track.  However, this season, three of the seven road wins occurred in Grand Forks, where UND is now 0-3 at home.  As a result, road wins at UND are now expected, so only the other four road wins are truly distinguishing.

ORU   +2

KC     +1

Denver -1

Omaha -1

Western -1

All others - even

So, even though St. Thomas, USD, SDSU and NDSU are all above UMKC in the Summit standings, I believe UMKC (at +1) is in a good position to overtake them as the season plays out.

NDSU joins KC at +1, while Denver falls to -2, barely above UND, after Thursday night action. 

If NDSU pulls off the Denver/Omaha road sweep, they will definitely vault themselves into “top 2 seeds” contender status. 

St. Thomas got smoked at KC last night.....can't see them giving ORU much of a battle tomorrow night at Mabee Center but I guess that's why they play the games.....Good Guys should be an easy 15+ point favorite.....Image result for St Thomas Univ logo  vs. :shield-logo:

56 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

St. Thomas got smoked at KC last night.....can't see them giving ORU much of a battle tomorrow night at Mabee Center but I guess that's why they play the games.....Good Guys should be an easy 15+ point favorite.....Image result for St Thomas Univ logo  vs. :shield-logo:

That game was close until late in the game.

Just watched NDSU dismantle Omaha in Omaha for their fifth straight win. 

The Bison are legit; 6’11” Grant Nelson is the best player in the league not named Max, and they throw another 6’10” post player named Morgan out there at the same time to create a formidable front line.

They look at this point to be ORU’s greatest challenge for top seeding in Sioux Falls, along with UMKC. 

• Upvote 1

NDSU 78 Omaha 65...Bison will be ready for a showdown vs. ORU in Fargo next Thursday Night....😎

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The Bison are legit; 6’11” Grant Nelson is the best player in the league not named Max, and they throw another 6’10” post player named Morgan out there at the same time to create a formidable front line.

2 good bigs will be a challenge for us, Thursday will also be our first game against the Bison since our 20-point loss in the season ending conf tourney semis, so hopefully we've had this one circled on the schedule. The seasons is getting into money time! Let's handle the Tommies tonight and head north ready to make a statement!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 1/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

ORU   +2

KC     +1

Denver -1

Omaha -1

Western -1

All others - even

Now, through a third of the conference schedule, the Dakota States are returning to form. 

ORU +2

NDSU +2

SDSU +1

KC - even

Western - even

St Thomas - even

USD -1

Denver -2

Omaha -2

UND - 10th seed

Next Thursday’s matchup in Fargo will be very important in the final Summit standings.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Next Thursday’s matchup in Fargo will be very important in the final Summit standings.

It will be big statistically and huge psychologically! Let's go to Fargo and just punch them in the face at their place!! 

Let the whole league know it's our year!!

• Like 4

TheEagleman is on board with that thinking.....the Bison think that they are back on the road to a winning season....well it IS time for ORU to waltz in to Fargo and kick some A$$....long overdue in fact.....Thursday night at NDSU is a HUGE GAME to set the tone.......Let's Do It!!! :circle-logoi:

• Like 3

It is very challenging to predict the Summit League.  WIU goes on the road and upsets KC tonight.  I never would have seen that coming, as the Leathernecks have really struggled on the road this year and KC has been playing very well of late.  Sometimes match ups make a big difference.  I thought WIU looked like a team that was not very good this year, based on their performance at the Mabee Center on Thursday night.  Then they surprise KC tonight by 60-52.

ORU making a strong move to take full control over the Summit with tonight’s win, and what in the WORLD happened to UMKC since the barnburner in Tulsa???

ORU +3

NDSU +1

SDSU +1

Western - even

St Thomas - even

KC -1

Denver -1

USD -2

Omaha -2

UND - still 10th seed, but not totally hopeless.