Summit League 22-23 Predictions/Results

TrueBlue82

How does NDSU lose by 19 and Grant Nelson puts up 35 points and 16 rebounds?  It looks like the rest of the team stayed on the bus.  He is going to need some help if NDSU is going to be a threat this year.  Wild night indeed in Summit League play but a shout out to Coach Crutch and his mostly ORU staff in beating Denver.

I just noticed an interesting Summit League stat. The Assist/Turnover Ratio for Jürgens is #1, McBride is #2, and Abmas is #4. Nationally, ORU is #30. The next best Summit League team in this category is St. Thomas at #57. Generally, our guys handled the ball well throughout the non-conference schedule. I'm confident that they will continue to perform at similar levels during Summit League play.

948199536_Screenshot2022-12-21at7_03_43PM.png.143ff37a29b39bbf2c399001329ca0b6.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

NDSU crushes UND on the road...😲

It was just a matter of time before NDSU started to figure things out.  They have two home games next week vs SDSU and South Dakota, which should give us a better understanding of how good the Dakota teams will be in Summit League play this year.  

Just like Denver, NDSU plays two guys (Nelson & Morgan) over 6'10".

ORU is going to need Herron back for these conference match ups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I usually don't lose a lot of sleep about the Dakota-centric bias of the Summit League, but several things about today's league-issued "Mitchell Report" got me riled up and ready to rant.

First, the headline: Jackrabbits, Roos, Coyotes impress after Holiday break

Okay, so we are now fifteen games into the Summit season, and home teams are 11-4.  One school recorded half of those four league road wins in a sweep this past weekend - and the most "impressive" results from the week are two South Dakota schools winning home games, and Kansas City salvaging a road split (on the same road trip that ORU swept)???  Please...

But, to his credit, the author does mention ORU in the last paragraph of his article, sort of...

Under the Radar: Mavericks show difficult road ahead for Golden Eagles
Surely it’s too early to declare Oral Roberts a serious challenger to SDSU’s perfect regular season campaign a year ago. Or is it? The metrics suggest it may be on the table, with KenPom.com giving the Golden Eagles at least a 70 percent chance to win each of their remaining league games, which all rolls into a projected 15-2 record. 

Yet the unexpected can unfold at any moment, as UNO showed ORU last week. The Mavs put six players in double figures, and Frankie Fidler (20 points) and Luke Jungers (16 points) hit three’s in the final minutes against the Golden Eagles to twice bring UNO within one point, forcing Max Abmas to make high-pressure free throws in the final seconds.

Aha, so the big news was not that ORU earned a road sweep, but that ORU was surprisingly challenged by the Mavs' supreme effort??? 

And, the big news is that Omaha forced Max into some high-pressure free throws, rather than the fact that HE MADE THEM???

Add to that (now I'm getting catty) some sloppy journalism.  The projected 15-2 Summit record should really be 16-2, since it doesn't include the rescheduled South Dakota home game.  KenPom.com may not have this on their radar yet, but someone close to the League should be well aware of the scheduling challenges and that the full League schedule includes 18 games.  And, anyone asked to write a report on the League should have had enough journalism or English classes to know the golden rule "an apostrophe never designates the plural form of a noun" (Omaha hit some late threes, not three's).  Where is ttowncount when we need him? 😉

I don't expect (or want) the Summit League to fawn over ORU's strong start to the Summit season, or prematurely crown ORU as the obvious League Champion.  We know that there is a long season ahead with many twists and turns, and that there are certainly other worthy stories around the League.  But, when only one team remains undefeated after two weeks of play, and the latest week of play included a rare (at least so far) road sweep, it's not appropriate for the only mention of that team to be "ORU was tested" in the final paragraph.

C'mon Summit League - you're better than this! ( I hope).

• Upvote 6

Hide this “report” from OT… he has mentioned this author to me several times and even communicated with him about his anti-ORU bias. This will get his blood pressure going. 

• Haha 3

I was going to ‘correct’ TrueBlue82 and say that the Mitchell Report is not a Summit League sanctioned document, but as usual, TB82 is correct. The Summit League released this report on their website: Mitchell Report

3 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I usually don't lose a lot of sleep about the Dakota-centric bias of the Summit League, but several things about today's league-issued "Mitchell Report" got me riled up and ready to rant.

Okay, so we are now fifteen games into the Summit season, and home teams are 11-4.  One school recorded half of those four league road wins in a sweep this past weekend - and the most "impressive" results from the week are two South Dakota schools winning home games, and Kansas City salvaging a road split (on the same road trip that ORU swept)???  Please...

But, to his credit, the author does mention ORU in the last paragraph of his article, sort of...

Surely it’s too early to declare Oral Roberts a serious challenger to SDSU’s perfect regular season campaign a year ago. Or is it? The metrics suggest it may be on the table, with KenPom.com giving the Golden Eagles at least a 70 percent chance to win each of their remaining league games, which all rolls into a projected 15-2 record. 

Yet the unexpected can unfold at any moment, as UNO showed ORU last week. The Mavs put six players in double figures, and Frankie Fidler (20 points) and Luke Jungers (16 points) hit three’s in the final minutes against the Golden Eagles to twice bring UNO within one point, forcing Max Abmas to make high-pressure free throws in the final seconds.

Aha, so the big news was not that ORU earned a road sweep, but that ORU was surprisingly challenged by the Mavs' supreme effort??? 

And, the big news is that Omaha forced Max into some high-pressure free throws, rather than the fact that HE MADE THEM???

Add to that (now I'm getting catty) some sloppy journalism.  The projected 15-2 Summit record should really be 16-2, since it doesn't include the rescheduled South Dakota home game.  KenPom.com may not have this on their radar yet, but someone close to the League should be well aware of the scheduling challenges and that the full League schedule includes 18 games.  And, anyone asked to write a report on the League should have had enough journalism or English classes to know the golden rule "an apostrophe never designates the plural form of a noun" (Omaha hit some late threes, not three's).  Where is ttowncount when we need him? 😉

I don't expect (or want) the Summit League to fawn over ORU's strong start to the Summit season, or prematurely crown ORU as the obvious League Champion.  We know that there is a long season ahead with many twists and turns, and that there are certainly other worthy stories around the League.  But, when only one team remains undefeated after two weeks of play, and the latest week of play included a rare (at least so far) road sweep, it's not appropriate for the only mention of that team to be "ORU was tested" in the final paragraph.

EDIT: Wait, I thought Summit darlings St. Thomas already locked up the regular season title. 🙄

2nd EDIT: Had to offer some grumpy, sarcastic commentary until OT gets back 😆

I don't disagree with the premise. But, maybe the media, bloggers, and the like care more up north? 

Are there any good sources in our area that consistently and in-depth, cover the Summit? 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

Prior to this, the only Mitchell Report I was familiar with was submitted to Major League Baseball by George Mitchell.  After reading your scathing review I assumed this was the work of a Liberal Arts major at one of the XDSUs that blogs out of his mother's basement.  I did a little research and learned that this guy actually has a Journalism degree from the University of Missouri.  The last I heard Mizzou was thought to have one of the top journalism schools in the country.  I guess it shows you that a pedigree degree doesn't guarantee great output.   However, I already knew that from several of the Harvard Business School graduates I have had the unfortunate experience of working with.

This also speaks to the high quality of the education we received at ORU when TrueBlue82 is correcting the grammar of this hack.  The ORU Sports Message Board dominates yet again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Overall, I took this as a compliment. They seemed to take it as a given that ORU is by far the best team in the league, with the only question being whether they'll go undefeated. And they're talking about the "impressive" results from other teams that may possibly challenge them.

• Upvote 1

USD and Omaha pull off road wins in the Summit tonight.  I watched a bit of both the Dakota border challenge (SDSU/NDSU and USD/UND) games, and found the play of all four teams to be pretty lackluster.  I understand that rivalry games like these can bring out the worst in a team, but none of the teams looked anything like conference contenders.  Still early, I know...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

According to Summit League statistics, ORU's average home game attendance for this season is significantly above any other team in the conference (4,482). People say that winners attract fans, but last season when SDSU went undefeated in conference play, their recorded average home attendance was 2,298. 41728446_Screenshot2023-01-08at7_05_09PM.thumb.png.4059a22778c37312a5b628b3abc2bcf7.png

1 minute ago, Dave Connor said:

According to Summit League statistics, ORU's average home game attendance for this season is significantly above any other team in the conference (4,482). People say that winners attract fans, but last season when SDSU went undefeated in conference play, their recorded average home attendance was 2,298. 41728446_Screenshot2023-01-08at7_05_09PM.thumb.png.4059a22778c37312a5b628b3abc2bcf7.png

Can you just imagine how excited the students are going to be when they return?  

I’m sure The Shot will be shown in chapel, and while I don’t expect every student to have the same reaction, I gotta believe the average student will be stoked to be at the Mabee Center this next weekend.

“Git yer popcorn ready!!”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 games into the Summit season, and home teams are a combined 17-7.  As road wins (and home losses) play a huge role in dividing contenders and pretenders, they are important to track.  However, this season, three of the seven road wins occurred in Grand Forks, where UND is now 0-3 at home.  As a result, road wins at UND are now expected, so only the other four road wins are truly distinguishing.

Road wins less home losses through three weeks (not including games at UND):

ORU   +2

KC     +1

Denver -1

Omaha -1

Western -1

All others - even

So, even though St. Thomas, USD, SDSU and NDSU are all above UMKC in the Summit standings, I believe UMKC (at +1) is in a good position to overtake them as the season plays out.

• Upvote 3