Summit League 22-23 Predictions/Results

TrueBlue82

As the non-conference season closes, the Summit League contenders and pretenders are fairly well defined.  Surprisingly, although most fans of the conference see the Summit as "down" this year, the league's current NET ranking is 16, which falls right in the middle of the 32 D1 conferences.  This is the highest conference ranking in the past five years, which have ranged from a high of 21 to a low of 29 (ouch).  Of course, this ranking will continue to fluctuate through the remainder of the season, primarily based on how well Summit opponents fare in their own conference races.

Based upon the results so far, ORU is the clear favorite for the conference title, with defending champion SDSU lurking as the primary challenger.  St. Thomas and Denver have both emerged as contenders with disappointing (so far) NDSU still a dark horse if the Bizon can get healthy.  The other five schools would consider a .500 conference record as a positive result.

Here's my prediction for Summit tournament seeding:

1. ORU 16-2

2. SDSU 14-4

3. St Thomas 13-5

4. Denver 13-5

5. NDSU 11-7

6. USD 9-9

7. KC  5-13

8. Western Ill 4-14

9. Omaha 3-15

10 UND 2-16

The W-L records may be +/- 2 across the board, but I would be surprised if the seeding is significantly off, barring significant injuries.  Check back in March! 

• Upvote 1

I can’t argue too much about your predictions, but I might put SDSU a few slots down and USD a few slots up… and if Nelson comes fully back for NDSU, I would put them a bit higher. They always seem to improve as the season progresses. We will get a better idea after next week’s games are completed. 

Besides the ORU game, an opening night game to keep an eye on tomorrow is: NDSU at Western Illinois.  WIU has been much better than expected and NDSU has struggled.  WIU is the favorite by ESPN.

THE DREAM:  16-2 conference record putting ORU at 25-5 for the regular season and getting votes in the AP Top 25; heading into Sioux Falls with the presumptive POY in Abmas and COY in Mills. 

REALITY CHECK:  0-2 start at home not out of the question if ORU does not defend, rebound and hit free throws. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Besides the ORU game, an opening night game to keep an eye on tomorrow is: NDSU at Western Illinois.  WIU has been much better than expected and NDSU has struggled.  WIU is the favorite by ESPN.

NO doubt, WIU is starting the year off better than most. They've played a very friendly schedule so far, but you can't deny the seven wins. It's going to be interesting. Let's get it started.

i'll get my prediction in before conference play begins....ORU finishes 11-7 in league play

• 6 games with SDSU, NDSU, and USD --- ORU drops 4
  • ORU always seems to lose at Denver
  • 4 games w/UND and St Thomas --- ORU loses one of those
  • Random loss sprinkled in to WIU, KC, or Omaha

5 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

i'll get my prediction in before conference play begins....ORU finishes 11-7 in league play

• 6 games with SDSU, NDSU, and USD --- ORU drops 4
  • 4 games w/UND and St Thomas --- ORU loses one of those
  • Random loss sprinkled in to WIU, KC, or Omaha

11-7 in conference this year would be a complete disaster. 

7 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

You are correct, Alum.  Denver is a difficult place to play, and ORU is 3-7 all time there.  And, the 9-3 Pioneers have a lot of confidence heading into the conference season.  However, ORU has won the last three games in Denver, and the most recent game before that was a loss in overtime, so hopefully the tide is turning.  No doubt, the New Year's Eve afternoon match-up will be one of the toughest challenges for the Eagles in Summit play.

5 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

You are correct, Alum.  Denver is a difficult place to play, and ORU is 3-7 all time there.  And, the 9-3 Pioneers have a lot of confidence heading into the conference season.  However, ORU has won the last three games in Denver, and the most recent game before that was a loss in overtime, so hopefully the tide is turning.  No doubt, the New Year's Eve afternoon match-up will be one of the toughest challenges for the Eagles in Summit play.

Just got tickets to the Denver game and it should be a good one.  7th Row behind the ORU bench! Go Eagles

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just got tickets to the Denver game and it should be a good one.  7th Row behind the ORU bench! Go Eagles

Attaboy, KH!  Way to represent!

• Like 1

I'm planning to make the KC trip (weather permitting) to see my daughter and son-in-law and take them to the game; that should be another tough one on the road.

• Upvote 1

A bunch of blowouts tonight in the Summit Openers.....NDSU hammered at WIU......USD getting bombed at KC...think Denver is good?  Not....losing big at Omaha.....ouch! 😬

SDSU 14-4???....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!🤢 :sdsu:🤢

• Like 1

All home teams win tonight in the Summit, and the smallest margin of victory was 13! (ORU with the largest margin at 39).  Very surprising start to the conference season. 

• Upvote 2