Summit League 22-23 Predictions/Results

TrueBlue82

With road wins in tonight's games, SDSU and NDSU are looking solidly like the 2/3 seeds.  And by losing at Omaha, USD appears destined for Friday action in Sioux Falls.

Champion (1 seed): ORU

Runner-ups (other side of bracket - 2/3 seeds) SDSU/NDSU

Potential semi-matchup (seeds 4-6): Western, UST, KC

Play on Friday (seeds 7-10):  USD, UND, Denver, Omaha

Bold is confirmed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Seems to TheEagleman that winning the regular season should have more of a reward attached to it....maybe the top team gets a bye to the Finals??...Just my thinking probably because ORU is #1 but i would have no problem with that every year because it's earned over a 3 month period....:oru:

3 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Seems to TheEagleman that winning the regular season should have more of a reward attached to it....maybe the top team gets a bye to the Finals??...Just my thinking probably because ORU is #1 but i would have no problem with that every year because it's earned over a 3 month period....:oru:

Personally, I wish they'd do away with the conference tourneys and award the auto-bid to the regular season champ. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Personally, I wish they'd do away with the conference tourneys and award the auto-bid to the regular season champ. 

I would be in favor of this also since it sends the league's best team. Conference tournaments are such money makers for smaller conferences that it will never happen though.

• Upvote 1

Never gonna happen because of the almighty $$$....TV and NCAA want those extra games and packed arenas at the end of the season....March Madness....all about the CASH.....then of course there is the gambling......which TheEagleman has sworn off by the way......Image result for George Costanza

Interesting night in the Summit League.  North Dakota continues to roll and beat KC tonight.  South Dakota has simply fallen apart.   They trailed bottom feeder Denver 40-12 at halftime (ouch) and got blown out by 18.  SDSU continues to roll and has most of its guys back from injury.

SDSU locks in the #2 seed with a win in Omaha.  Otherwise, many seeds will be decided by head-to-head matchups on the final weekend of Summit play.

Champion (1 seed): ORU

Runner-up (other side of bracket - 2 seed) SDSU

Second Runner-up (other side of bracket - 3 seed) NDSU/St Thomas - will be decided next Thursday in Fargo

Potential semi-matchup (seeds 4-5): loser of NDSU/UST, Western

Last "bye" (seed 6): KC/USD - likely decided Saturday in Vermillion

Play on Friday (seeds 7-10):  loser of KC/USD, UND, Denver, Omaha

Bold is confirmed

• Upvote 1

St Thomas in the 3 seed would be perfect. If ORU can take care of the 8/9 and 4 seeds, and STT can beat #6, that means 2 chances to knock out SDSU and advance. And a championship game against St Thomas with the bid already secured would be fun and drama-free, for NCAA seeding only. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 2/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

I would be in favor of this also since it sends the league's best team. Conference tournaments are such money makers for smaller conferences that it will never happen though.

All about the Benjamins. Its not just the smaller conferences. The big boys get big bucks for their conference tournaments. Is it the Big 10 that plays their championship game at 2:00 or 3:00 on Sunday?  Somebody does because a network pays them to even though there are times it fouls up their seeding because the committee finalizes the bracket before the game ends. The conference doesn’t care. 

I  think the conference tournament isn’t really in the best interest of the smaller conferences… putting the economics aside. I’m talking about one bid leagues. When a  weaker team upsets your best team any chance of a win or two in the tournament is probably out the window.  There goes the chance to increase the profile of your conference and a chance at a bigger tournament check from the NCAA. 

So, ORU Voice,  you "wish they'd do away with the conference tourneys and award the auto-bid to the regular season champ." You realize, of course, that if there were no conference tourneys, ORU would not have gone to NCAA tourney in 2021. Is that really what you wish?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

All about the Benjamins. Its not just the smaller conferences. The big boys get big bucks for their conference tournaments. Is it the Big 10 that plays their championship game at 2:00 or 3:00 on Sunday?  Somebody does because a network pays them to even though there are times it fouls up their seeding because the committee finalizes the bracket before the game ends. The conference doesn’t care. 

I  think the conference tournament isn’t really in the best interest of the smaller conferences… putting the economics aside. I’m talking about one bid leagues. When a  weaker team upsets your best team any chance of a win or two in the tournament is probably out the window.  There goes the chance to increase the profile of your conference and a chance at a bigger tournament check from the NCAA. 

On the one hand, I'm 100% on board with implementing this prior to the end of this season.

But as a #4 seed in the Summit tourney, two years ago... ORU got hot late, and went on to become a Cinderella Hall of Fame legend. 

Plus I worry that most years, refs would have too much influence to help the dakota schools, when the conference winner is decided by one game. 

With the game on Thursday night between NDSU and St. Thomas deciding the #3 seed in the Summit League Tournament which team would it better to see on the other side of the bracket?

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

With the game on Thursday night between NDSU and St. Thomas deciding the #3 seed in the Summit League Tournament which team would it better to see on the other side of the bracket?

It may surprise some to know that St. Paul, MN is the same distance from Sioux Falls as Fargo, ND (roughly 250 miles).

Which school do you think will bring more fans?

Regardless, I agree with ORUTex:  better to face NDSU in the semi's and then possibly postseason-ineligible St. Thomas in the finals with the NCAA bid locked-up, win or lose.

So that would mean pulling for a St. Thomas win Thursday night, making them a No. 3 and relegating NDSU to No. 4.

The novelty of the tournament might attract some St. Thomas diehards, but I can't imagine traveling to the tournament with no hope of capturing an NCAA seed. So I still expect the Dakotas to outdraw St. Thomas, at least for the next couple of years. But I'd definitely like to see the Tommies in the 3 seed.

1 hour ago, ORUTex said:

The novelty of the tournament might attract some St. Thomas diehards, but I can't imagine traveling to the tournament with no hope of capturing an NCAA seed. So I still expect the Dakotas to outdraw St. Thomas, at least for the next couple of years. But I'd definitely like to see the Tommies in the 3 seed.

I tend to think the Tommie faithful would view this tournament as their Big Dance; winning it would be the ultimate achievement for their program at this stage of D1 development. 

• Like 1

If St. Thomas can win the Summit Tournament then hats off to them.....but TheEagleman is thinking that they won't....their best hope is to have ORU knocked off in the Semis by NDSU.....not impossible.....we will see how this plays out but hard to make any predictions until the final seeds are determined....the Tommies game at the Bison tomorrow night is huge.....a very interesting match up for sure.....TheEagleman is focusing on USD though....expecting that place to be loud and rocking tomorrow night even without Texas Grip in attendence.....😎

• Haha 1

I think NDSU might be the more dangerous team since they have length. Over the course of a multi-day event teams that rely on outside shooting could fade.

• Upvote 4