The Starting Five

Old Titan

29 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Couple of things I really liked in that video, couple of things made me cringe and shake my head...

It's still early....

• Upvote 1

Sure, it is just practice but those games would be worth the price of admission!  A lot of talent on the court.  Cam looks like he can hoop!  Coach has definitely recruited well.

Mills usually builds his teams around great offense: three-point shooting, fast break points, and good athletes.  The defense will always be a work in process.  Clover looks like he got beat on the layup.  He was a guy that was brought in for defense but has never really found his stride.

31 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Always like seeing a rookie working on his D, help and close out very basic drill but important.

But the ease with the back cut in the scrimmage for the dunk with no weak side help is not good and the ease of the rookie to get into the lane past the defender who left his feet on the eyebrow up fake and then score easily in the lane against our new 7'3" "rim protector" looked a lot like last years defensive effort.

Glad to see coach talking about the need for trust on D, but the weak side guys in the scrimmage didn't earn a whole lot.

Keep working hard Eagles, there are a lot of good-looking athletes out there- Williams and Herron look ready to play!! and very good shooters as well, D needs to improve but the effort looks good!!

This ^^^^

28 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

It's still early....

That's what we said last fall when NAIA schools were feasting in the paint.

I didn't buy that "It's March...and we win in March" baloney after looking so bad on D in February.

NOW is when championships are won:  set a high standard in the summer, and get better every day from that point!

• Like 3

You all do realize the offensive talent this team has, don’t you? This is a team that was Top 5 in the country in scoring last year, and returns almost everyone. I think it’s ok that there are some made baskets on a highlight video in the month of June. This team is built to score points. When a team averages over 83 points per game, they don’t need to hold a team in the 40s to win. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

You all do realize the offensive talent this team has, don’t you? This is a team that was Top 5 in the country in scoring last year, and returns almost everyone. I think it’s ok that there are some made baskets on a highlight video in the month of June. This team is built to score points. When a team averages over 83 points per game, they don’t need to hold a team in the 40s to win. 

40's....lol

HOW ABOUT UNDER 83.3 PER GAME??*

Untitled 3.jpeg

* average score allowed per game Feb-Mar, 2022.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

40's....lol

HOW ABOUT UNDER 83.3 PER GAME??*

Sounds good to me! I know one thing…. The possession count is going to always be high. You aren’t Top 5 in the country in scoring without playing fast and playing a lot of possessions. Just keep the points per possession lower on defense than it is on offense and I think everyone will be happy with the results. 

Check out these teams surrounding 290th-ranked ORU in Ken Pomeroy's "Adjusted Defensive Efficiency" last season.

1927362375_Untitled4.jpeg.cd72f4eaf6bab4a5d239a3d12c84671c.jpeg

Not exactly a "Who's Who's" of college basketball success, are they?

And, look at how much worse they all are on offense than ORU!

The disparity between ORU's offensive proficiency and defensive futility is STAGGERING.

There are high-scoring teams that don't just try to outscore their opponents.

They win games by scores of 80-65, instead of 85-80.

And they don't give up 90+ points a game when they have an off-night offensively (like on the road when "the 3's don't fall, and the refs don't make the calls").

Because they play DEEE-FENSE (clap, clap) DEEE-FENSE (clap, clap)

"Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera..." (Google it)

Happy Yul Brynner GIF

• Like 2

I don’t think anyone is arguing that ORU needs to get better defensively. All I was saying was you can’t watch a 1:30 highlight tape from June and see a couple of baskets get scored and get upset at the lack of defense. Especially when the team is one of the most talented offensive teams in the country!

• Upvote 4

We all want the defense to get better but would be surprised if it does.  Lacis was probably our best defender last year and of course he graduated.  Patrick does help but Connor is not much of a defender.  Sure, he is tall and can alter some shots but that is about it.  Williams is of course the wildcard.  Since he is basically still a redshirt freshman then it is hard to see him as a defensive savior.  He will show some flashes but with younger guys, can they be consistent?  Usually, tough to pull off for someone who has never played a college game.

ORU may never be a defensive juggernaut but hopefully they can improve say ten percent this year on defense.  I think if they can hold teams to say 70 a night then they should be in good shape next year.

I saw some things in terms of effort, footwork, communication, spacing, etc. on defense that caused alarm; I think ORU40 saw them, too.

For example:  no one should be able to get off a flat-footed, low-trajectory set shot from the top of the arc.

And no one should be allowed to dribble their way through the lane for a floater from five feet. 

"It is what it is"... in June, or March...

9 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I think if they can hold teams to say 70 a night then they should be in good shape next year.

Burgers for EVERYONE on here if ORU holds opponents to 70 points a night this season.

WITH FRIES AND A DRINK.

burger GIF by Mxli Snacks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my take away from that video.....damn the Mabee still looks like a big time arena 50 years on

also ORU's video production has really improved the last few years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

ORU’s defense was really bad last year.  With the players we have we should at least be average with appropriate coaching.  If you combine our offensive strength with an average defense then ORU will seriously contend for the Summit League title.

Burgers, OT?  Really?  I think ribs would be more appropriate…

FDE1C4DC-62D7-4C37-A5F2-7CC079B47B78.thumb.jpeg.7732319e6ecc8fc16de6bc9e7d14a608.jpegRob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

This video highlights offensive moves. It would be helpful to see a video highlighting some great defensive moves. That might give us a more accurate idea of where the team currently stands defensively.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

This video highlights offensive moves. 

Naturally, because "Chicks dig the long ball!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

For example:  no one should be able to get off a flat-footed, low-trajectory set shot from the top of the arc.

And no one should be allowed to dribble their way through the lane for a floater from five feet. 

So youre saying to be considered a good defensive team you should never allow an uncontested shot and you should never allow penetration to within 5 feet of the basket? Come on man!