The Starting Five

Old Titan

Max
McBride/Jurgens/Phipps
Thompson/Weaver
Vanover/Mwamba
Lufile/Herron

Unless an injury happens I don’t see Williams or Amboree playing consistent minutes due to sheer talent in front of them. Could be wrong!

55 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Max
McBride/Jurgens/Phipps
Thompson/Weaver
Vanover/Mwamba
Lufile/Herron

Unless an injury happens I don’t see Williams or Amboree playing consistent minutes due to sheer talent in front of them. Could be wrong!

I would be very surprised if Williams is not in the top 6 or 7 rotation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Early on in the season, especially if the Eagles have an opening night road game, then I would start an all senior fab five 2 (for you Michigan fans of old): Max, Carlos, Kareem, Weaver, and Lufile.  When was the last time ORU started five seniors to start a season off? Maybe never.

Connor and Williams are the two wildcards on this team.  Connor still has to get a waiver to be eligible for next season because he has transferred twice already.  Not sure how hard that will be.  Anyone know?  McBride was able to get one last year fairly easily but that was mainly due to the whole Covid situation.  Williams is a talented young guy with good size but has never played a college game.  Who knows, maybe he is a star from the beginning but then again maybe he needs time to adjust to the college level.

Vanover started for Cal (PAC-12) and Arkansas (SEC)… hard to see him not at least getting minutes. 

Williams was a 3/4 star recruit signed by Arizona State with all kinds of talent apparently.

Don’t sleep on Amboree. He’s young, but is a heralded player with lots of talent (like Max was). 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Vanover started for Cal (PAC-12) and Arkansas (SEC)… hard to see him not at least getting minutes. 

Williams was a 3/4 star recruit signed by Arizona State with all kinds of talent apparently.

Don’t sleep on Amboree. He’s young, but is a heralded player with lots of talent (like Max was). 

I think Williams will really help on the defensive side. He will be able to cover 2,3 and some 4s. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If Mills starts Vanover to begin the season....TheEagleman will give up alcohol and gambling for 60 days.......😎😬😮

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

If Mills starts Vanover to begin the season....TheEagleman will give up alcohol and gambling for 60 days.......😎😬😮

Behind Max, Vanover is the next highest guaranteed to start in my opinion. He will be dominant defensively in the Summit League. The last Summit League player over 7-foot (Gilbeck) was a lock as defensive player of the year, and he played on the worst team in the league. Vanover will do nothing but boost his stock in a lesser athletic league than SEC or PAC 12. 

22 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

How about giving up writing in the third person instead 😜

Otis, my man!!!....TheEagleman says...Never gonna happen....you have a better chance of scoring with Jennifer Lopez.......😎

Vanover was the prize Mills really wanted so anything is possible!

On 6/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, theeagleman5 said:

Pretty bold wager, considering the 60 days would include Thanksgiving, all the seasonal Christmas parties and New Years Day (and some of the best NFL and college football matchups and the bowl season).  

Vanover started 52 of the 72 games that he played for Pac12 Cal and SEC Arkansas over the past three years. I don’t think he chose playing for ORU to ride the pine.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I agree True Blue. If you are right I’ll drive the wagon to Eagleman’s house so he can hop on and stay dry!!

If Vanover starts any game in November then TheEagleman is prepared to spend the Holidays drinking nothing but Iced Tea and Cherry Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar...also nary a wager will be placed....and if Vanover becomes a regular staple in the starting lineup then i will continue all of that for the entire season...as Vito Corleone said in The Godfather...I promise on the souls of my grandchildren....👍

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

If Vanover starts any game in November then TheEagleman is prepared to spend the Holidays drinking nothing but Iced Tea and Cherry Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar...also nary a wager will be placed....and if Vanover becomes a regular staple in the starting lineup then i will continue all of that for the entire season...as Vito Corleone said in The Godfather...I promise on the souls of my grandchildren....👍

I didn’t think this thread could get any more interesting…

I was wrong.  🤣

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Vanover started 52 of the 72 games that he played for Pac12 Cal and SEC Arkansas over the past three years. I don’t think he chose playing for ORU to ride the pine.  

I think Vanover could start from game one.

• Like 2

Yeah but small ball Paul Mills wasnt coaching either of those teams.... TheEagleman has no fear....😎

On 6/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, theeagleman5 said:

Otis, my man!!!....TheEagleman says...Never gonna happen....you have a better chance of scoring with Jennifer Lopez.......😎

I like my chances Eagleman. She was with A-Rod. She’s not that particular. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had some more time to think about the starting five and here are some random observations:

Max at the point guard position.  Not much to say but looking forward to seeing his senior year!

Carlos at the shooting guard: just do not shoot the three!  He is much more effective driving to the basket.

DJ at the wing position: played this role as a freshman and was much more effective than the last couple of seasons.

Connor at the four: only problem will be on defense but is definitely a stretch four.  Max can work on his passing skills and throw him a few lobs!

Lufile at center: a big key to next year.  Showed that he could be a beast inside at the end of the season.  Need to see that on a consistent basis.

This lineup has a little bit of everything: size, length, defense, rebounding, and still, plenty of three-point shooting.

The bench would consist of: McBride, Patrick, Thompson, Williams, and Herron.   A lot of guys off the bench who bring athleticism and versality.