1.  Abmas

2.  ?

3.  ??

4.  ???

5.  ????

Lufile, Kareem, Issac, Carlos.

17 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Lufile, Kareem, Issac, Carlos.

Hard to argue with that. But Maybe we should say, starting 5 at start of the season , and starting 5 at start of conference play. 

• Upvote 2

Vanover may get the start to have an advantage to earn the opening tip, and to protect Eli from an early foul.  But, I think Eli will ultimately end up with more playing minutes than Connor, whether he starts or not.  

Issac, Kareem and Carlos make sense to complete the starting five. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ting said:

Hard to argue with that. But Maybe we should say, starting 5 at start of the season , and starting 5 at start of conference play. 

This was my initial thought concerning lineups. I also think that we could see lots of movement/changes during a game given our depth. Wonder if we will employ a zone given the length we can employ? Mills has a lot of options.

My attempt at a lineup

• Abmas
  • Jurgens - with McBride quickly off the bench; Phipps, Williams, Amboree
  • Thompson - Weaver, Mwamba
  • Lufile - Clover
  • Vanover - Herron

• Like 1

That would be a good balanced lineup! Height, shooting and physicality. Should we request a meeting with Coach Mills to give our input?!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

This was my initial thought concerning lineups. I also think that we could see lots of movement/changes during a game given our depth. Wonder if we will employ a zone given the length we can employ? Mills has a lot of options.

My attempt at a lineup

• Abmas
  • Jurgens - with McBride quickly off the bench; Phipps, Williams, Amboree
  • Thompson - Weaver, Mwamba
  • Lufile - Clover
  • Vanover - Herron

I think Williams will end up starting by conference time at the 3 or wing position whatever it is called now. He will be the biggest surprise i think. 

• Like 1

As always, the biggest problem will be finding teams willing to play us. Will TU say yes? Can we get OU or OSU on the schedule? Will we be seen as a big threat this year?

Coach Mills could care less what we think at ORUSports.Com.......and if you think Vanover will start....well, what are you smokin'????....:hc_mills:

• Haha 3

This is my "WAY TOO EARLY" offering.  Not necessarily what I think Mills will do (especially the Phipps part), but what I think I'd do.

Abmas (Amboree, Phipps)

McBride (Williams) 

Thompson (Jurgens) maybe a toss-up.  Who's gonna play better "D"?

Lufile (Mwamba, Weaver)

Herron (Vanover, Clover)

This is really tough to do with the limited knowledge we have of the newcomers...

• Upvote 2

Everyone has some valid points.  It shows that the Eagles can throw a lot of different lineups at teams based on whatever the other team starts.  If another team has a 6'10 or 6'11 center (such as NDSU or Denver) then Coach can start Vanover but if they have a smaller quicker big (6'7 or 6'8 guy) then he can start Big Maple.  Last year Mills had pretty much the same lineup all year until March but this year it will probably change from time to time.

Weaver started maybe 90% of the time last year because he is a forward that shoots the three at a decent rate.  Would expect him to start early in the year at the power forward spot but if the threes are not falling then look for someone else to take his place in the starting lineup.

I think with Abmas back, Amboree may redshirt, but I don’t really know. My attempt at a lineup is this (1st player listed at each position is a starter):  

PG: Abmas, Jurgens, Phipps, McBride.

SG: McBride, Thompson, Jurgens, Phipps.

SF: Williams, Mwamba, Weaver, Thompson. 

PF: Weaver, Mwamba, Herron, Vanover.

Center: Lufile, Vanover, Herron, Clover. 

The depth and versatility of this roster is pretty incredible. I could see some small lineups that would be really high-scoring, some defensive lineups that could shut teams down, and big lineups that would just run over anyone who dares get in the way. This will be a really fun team to watch how they come together. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most of y'all don't have enough guards in your lineup to have any chance of being right.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, ORob1 said:

This is really tough to do with the limited knowledge we have of the newcomers...

What do we gotta do to get 2 blue white scrimmages this year. (But seriously, Someone tell me the actual date so I can calendar it)

• Upvote 1

Just hope we do not see too much of Max, McBride, and Trey on the floor together.  Just way too small and causes a lot of problems on defense.  Last year, Coach started McBride a lot at the end of the season instead of Carlos.  Jurgens was not the defensive stopper that he had been during the Sweet 16 run.  Need him to step up and be that leader on the defensive side of the ball. He is a fifth-year senior.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, titansforever said:

As always, the biggest problem will be finding teams willing to play us. Will TU say yes? Can we get OU or OSU on the schedule? Will we be seen as a big threat this year?

TU is a given - word is they are having as much trouble scheduling games as ORU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Idig32 said:

I think with Abmas back, Amboree may redshirt, but I don’t really know. My attempt at a lineup is this (1st player listed at each position is a starter):  

PG: Abmas, Jurgens, Phipps, McBride.

SG: McBride, Thompson, Jurgens, Phipps.

SF: Williams, Mwamba, Weaver, Thompson. 

PF: Weaver, Mwamba, Herron, Vanover.

Center: Lufile, Vanover, Herron, Clover. 

The depth and versatility of this roster is pretty incredible. I could see some small lineups that would be really high-scoring, some defensive lineups that could shut teams down, and big lineups that would just run over anyone who dares get in the way. This will be a really fun team to watch how they come together. 

Just looking through the names and combinations, the practices are going to be amazing for this team.

So many options available and people getting playing time will be at a premium as putting the right people on the floor against the right opponent's players will making scouting key.

I agree that Williams will be a good addition (within conference especially). Vanover provides height that we haven't had in a decade or two.  Full court presses to put defensive pressure on the opponents, the opportunity to rest Max a little more, just so many opportunities.  It will be a fun season.