The Starting Five

Old Titan

2 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Always funny when people think coaches would intentionally sabotage their careers by playing guys who they don’t think would give them the best chance to win a game. If only the coaches and players had consistent increments of times together throughout the summer and fall where they could rehearse what the best lineups are and what each players’ strengths and weaknesses are…. We could call this time together “practice” and then it would allow the coaches to adequately determine the best players to play together…

We talkin' bout "practice!?"   #classicrant

• Haha 3

I think Trey will be improved since last season.

• Upvote 1

Trey Phipps is also not one of TheEaglemans'  favorite players but have grown to accept that Coach Mills really likes him and Trey will get probably more minutes than we prefer....plus Coach knows more basketball than any of us and..... IN MILLS WE TRUST!!!....:hc_mills:

39 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think Trey will be improved since last season.

So do I; the question to me is how much that improvement justifies others losing minutes to him.

I think in certain situations he brings an obvious set of valuable skills; but I need to see a whole lot more on both ends of the floor to warrant him being an every-game-fixture in the rotation, much less a starter.

43 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

We talkin' bout "practice!?"   #classicrant

I'm afraid ex-Sooner Kyler Murray's rant this week re: film study & his contract clause may go down in history in similar fashion with his generation, but Iverson's tirade is definitely one for the ages.

• Haha 1

And although I couldn’t disagree more with AI on the message, I love his delivery! 😄

Coach Mills has mostly played small ball the last two years, but it would be interesting to see him change it up at least once in a while in 22-23.  Would be fun to see a frontcourt of say Herron and Connor at the same time.  A lot of length and could definitely pose some problems on defense for the opposing team.  Coach can do a lot with Connor's size: guard the inbounds passer, clog the lane, and of course win the jump ball.

• 4 weeks later...

It all comes back, now 80s culture is big (hence AC/DC).  Before we know it, everybody will love the 60s and the Beach Boys, Beatles, and Elvis.  The old stuff always becomes trendy, sooner or later!

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Tupac?

AC/DC?

How old are these guys, anyway - 50??

51 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It all comes back, now 80s culture is big (hence AC/DC).  Before we know it, everybody will love the 60s and the Beach Boys, Beatles, and Elvis.  The old stuff always becomes trendy, sooner or later!

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking.

By Ted Gioia

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm. Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling. But the news gets worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

U.S Catalog vs. Current Consumption
Source: MRC Data

The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police.

Simple:  digital music available on a song-by-song basis has destroyed the music business. 

There are no new bands honing their craft in garages and bars until being discovered by a record company that supports their development and promotes their “albums” of work.

Now it’s just “artists” recording songs alone in their bedrooms on their MacBooks to be released online, because music radio has died a digital death as well.

There’s no synergy, no collaboration, no end-result totaling more than the sum of the parts.  

Who is/was “The Last Great Rock Band”?  Foo Fighters?  Radiohead?  Pearl Jam?  

And they’re all in their forties!

Technology: it’s such a double-edged sword…

Last great band? Van Halen? Doobie Bros? Kansas?....ahhhhh....those were the days? Mylon Lefevre and Broken Heart?? 😃

• Like 1

And if you happen to want to buy a CD, good luck finding them in stores. Walmart stopped selling them (at least locally), Target has almost none, there are no "record stores" anymore, and Barnes & Noble seems to have mostly older stuff.

Now that we are *just* over two months from the first game of the season, who are we placing our bets on as the starting  5 for our first game?

I can't wait to find out and obviously most interested in getting some pre-season input on the new guys.  Can Mwamba, Williams and/or Vanover win a starting spot over Lufile, Weaver, Juergens or Thompson?  Is Herron in the conversation for possibly starting?

Regardless, I would think Max (obviously) and Isaac are starters...

Rob

• Upvote 1

My five would be:

• Max
  • Jürgens

• Weaver

• Thompson

• Vanover

Then McBride as the 6th man instant offense off the bench

With all this talent you really could do a line-change and not have that much drop off.

Last season, five players started 25 or more games:

Kareem - all 31

Max - 30

Lacis - 30

Weaver - 28

Carlos - 25

The next highest amount of starts was McBride with 6.

So, barring significant injury between now and early November, I think the four returners from the 25+ start list have a VERY strong likelihood of remaining as starters early in the upcoming season.

The fifth spot could be anyone from the list of Vanover/Lufile/Williams/Mwamba/McBride.  Knowing Coach Mills places a focus on the number of possessions, my money is on Vanover, as he gives a very good chance of winning the opening tip.

And, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Weaver shifted from a starter to an early entrance from the bench, with Williams or Lufile as replacement, in order to address team defensive issues (the biggest flaw from the 21-22 team).

• Like 1