The Starting Five

Old Titan

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I could see Vanover subbing in when Lufile subs out and as a result we could have a strong post defensive presence for 40 minutes.  That could cut down on the easy drives to the basket we gave up so frequently last year.

Vanover starts, wins tip, launches a couple of threes and blocks a shot before Lufile subs in at 16:00 media TO to bang for at least the next 8 minutes.  Vanover back in at the 8:00 media TO; Elijah closes out the final 4:00 of each half, fouls permitting.

The idea being Vanover disrupts early in each half, Lufile stays out of foul trouble to impose his will late. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

How about McBride and Max as the 1-2 scoring punch next year?  We saw that at the end of the season, with McBride finishing the year with 16 straight double figure games.  Isaac struggled early on but once we hit 2022, he really picked up his level of play.  In a way he is a mini-Max, who can get hot and score in a variety of ways.  He will have maybe 2 or 3 points and then in a couple minutes McBride will be in double digits.

No doubt that Max and McBride should be the “ 1-2 scoring punch” the majority of the time. Hopefully, more length and athleticism at the forward/center position will allow Phillips to primarily be a spot up 3 pt shooter, which is his strength, in a slightly lesser role but important one. 

Not sure if any of you guys have found this yet, but the “Skinz League” is a summer league that several of our guys are playing in.  The SL Instagram has been posting videos of the players all summer, and Trey Phipps got a post dedicated to his “top 5 shooting” in the whole league.  Lufile, McBride, and Weaver have also had some footage of them playing (some of that was on an Instagram “story” that goes away after 24 hours that is no longer available)!  It’s a fun page that I’ve been following to watch for our guys, and I thought some of you guys might be interested!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORob1 said:

Trey looks bigger.

Looks like he might’ve put a little arc in his shot as well🤷‍♂️

Not sure how many people know this, but Trey played all season with painful shin splints. Before the season started, I was told he would probably have to sit out part or all of the year. That (partially) could explain his lack of lateral quickness. 

• Like 1

Wow, I wonder how much PT he would have gotten if he had been 100%... 🤔

I wonder how much better he would have been if he was 100%?

• Like 1

Shin splits can be caused by too much pressure on the front bone in the legs.  Remember how the coaching staff kept telling him to slow down on his practices.  He was working out around three times a day in the offseason.  Trey does not lack effort!

8 hours ago, ORob2 said:

Not sure if any of you guys have found this yet, but the “Skinz League” is a summer league that several of our guys are playing in.  The SL Instagram has been posting videos of the players all summer, and Trey Phipps got a post dedicated to his “top 5 shooting” in the whole league.  Lufile, McBride, and Weaver have also had some footage of them playing (some of that was on an Instagram “story” that goes away after 24 hours that is no longer available)!  It’s a fun page that I’ve been following to watch for our guys, and I thought some of you guys might be interested!

That’s great training for these guys. Saw chello vealy on a team. Deonte Burton would be a great guy for our guys to get some PT against. I thought I saw Sir Isaac spinning a ball in one video also???

DJ and Eli on same team. 

BED98C9B-9F95-436A-BD7A-EB8685AC6E5B.png

877C2586-947B-4D51-8BBE-01E8D33336C4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I love that he described himself as a great defender. Can’t wait to see him on the court. 

• Upvote 1

Looking back through this thread, I find myself wistfully shaking my head about predictions of Trey Phipps' playing time being less.

It would be the most Paul Mills-thing ever, and would not surprise me one bit while at the same time infuriating me, to see Phipps starting in the non-conference slate.

Never underestimate the inexplicable obsession some coaches & their staffs have with certain players.

Always funny when people think coaches would intentionally sabotage their careers by playing guys who they don’t think would give them the best chance to win a game. If only the coaches and players had consistent increments of times together throughout the summer and fall where they could rehearse what the best lineups are and what each players’ strengths and weaknesses are…. We could call this time together “practice” and then it would allow the coaches to adequately determine the best players to play together…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Always funny when people think coaches would intentionally sabotage their careers by playing guys who they don’t think would give them the best chance to win a game. If only the coaches and players had consistent increments of times together throughout the summer and fall where they could rehearse what the best lineups are and what each players’ strengths and weaknesses are…. We could call this time together “practice” and then it would allow the coaches to adequately determine the best players to play together…

You are totally missing my point, which is that I don't think Paul Mills feels playing Trey a lot "intentionally sabotages his career", etc.

I think he may play him a bunch of minutes again this year for the same reason he played him so much last season:  there are things he just really likes about Trey's game.

And, it's hard sometimes for us mere mortal fans to discern exactly what those differentiating factors are for a coach.

I do think that Paul Mills enjoys playing the contrarian, in basketball and in life, so it simply wouldn't surprise me if he took that not-so-obvious route...

49 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

You are totally missing my point, which is that I don't think Paul Mills feels playing Trey a lot "intentionally sabotages his career", etc.

I think he may play him a bunch of minutes again this year for the same reason he played him so much last season:  there are things he just really likes about Trey's game.

And, it's hard sometimes for us mere mortal fans to discern exactly what those differentiating factors are for a coach.

I do think that Paul Mills enjoys playing the contrarian, in basketball and in life, so it simply wouldn't surprise me if he took that not-so-obvious route...

I agree with that