Meanwhile at 11th & Harvard...

Old Titan

10 hours ago, ctt8410 said:

Congrats on a great season. And soak it all in. I’ll never forgive myself for skipping the Elite 8 game in 2000 for a ski trip I’d booked months before.

Rent isn’t what it used to be in my head, but what’s left will be spent rooting for you guys. This year’s team seems pretty obviously more well-rounded than the 2021 team and primed to make a run imo.

What a classy post, especially in light of all the barbs thrown in the direction of 11th & Harvard in this thread.

I think one of the reasons schadenfreude has been so strong toward TU this year is knowing in our heart of hearts the current situation is a temporary abberation. 

They will get their act together soon enough, and if history is any indication, ORU's success this year will only hasten the process.                                

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

What a classy post, especially in light of all the barbs thrown in the direction of 11th & Harvard in this thread.

I think one of the reasons schadenfreude has been so strong toward TU this year is knowing in our heart of hearts the current situation is a temporary abberation. 

They will get their act together soon enough, and if history is any indication, ORU's success this year will only hasten the process.                                

Coincidentally, the TW has a story today about it being the anniversary of TU hiring Nolan Richardson on this date in 1980 and we all know what the mandate from the school to Nolan was "Just beat ORU"!!!

35 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Much nicer than what they are saying to each other on their board!:) Whew! 

• Haha 1

We need to remember that a lot (don't ask me for a number; don't know) of ORU alums with undergrad degrees go to TU for graduate school. And some of our employees leave ORU to go work at TU (or vice-versa). And there's Jill Donovan, an ORU alum who founded Rustic Cuff. She has a law degree from TU and taught in their law school. And then there's Bill Brogden, our former golf coach who coached golf at TU and is in our Athletics Hall of Fame. 

And OT is right: TU might be down at the moment, but it's temporary. They have too much pride to settle for less than stellar results in their basketball program. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Much nicer than what they are saying to each other on their board!:) Whew! 

I will say that TU1978 is not a big fan of me on their board right now.:) Seems to be a bit of a bitter person.:) 

• Haha 1

TU's problems a temporary situation?....possible but not our problem....what goes around comes around?  Karma? The Lord's Will?....all these answers are above TheEaglemans' pay grade.....but it sure is enjoyable to watch sometimes.....I know it sounds like I revel in TU's problems but honestly not true....I agree that it's better for the Tulsa sports scene if TU and ORU are both doing well and competing with each other especially in Men's basketball....TheEagleman will admit when I lived in Tulsa I actually had a TU season ticket for football....I was a big fan and still wish them no ill on the gridiron....basketball another story....but honestly I do hope things improve for them and our basketball matchups are well attended.....👍

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

I will say that TU1978 is not a big fan of me on their board right now.:) Seems to be a bit of a bitter person.:) 

Yeah, I just read the latest updates under "Championship Week" and the current malaise is palpable.

Always funny when (as in one post today) a TU fan says "no one here gives one iota about ORU" and then in THE NEXT SENTENCE calls out ORU's "Cupid Shuffle" media timeout promotion for being "creepy, bush league and weird".

Which means he either attends some ORU games, or watches the live stream on ORU Sports Network.

It's like that person who in conversation claims they don't watch TV, yet half their observations are lifted directly from "Seinfeld" or "Two And A Half Men" re-runs.

• Upvote 1

As a longtime Tulsan AND ORU grad, the crosstown rivalry has been a lot of fun over the years. In 2019, the ministry that my wife and I lead were invited to do some arts workshops on the campuses of both ORU and TU in the same week. The back and forth banter is fun, but when it comes down to it, if TU is having a good year (while ORU isn’t) I love to see the hometown team do well!
Also:

34 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

We need TU to get better to stop bringing down our NET rating so much.

😆

To me, one of the most peculiar things about TU is the fact that the overwhelming majority of athletic staff and University administration, sees TU as a "football school". 

I just don't get that. But, it's the way they see themselves. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, I just read the latest updates under "Championship Week" and the current malaise is palpable.

Always funny when (as in one post today) a TU fan says "no one here gives one iota about ORU" and then in THE NEXT SENTENCE calls out ORU's "Cupid Shuffle" media timeout promotion for being "creepy, bush league and weird".

Which means he either attends some ORU games, or watches the live stream on ORU Sports Network.

It's like that person who in conversation claims they don't watch TV, yet half their observations are lifted directly from "Seinfeld" or "Two And A Half Men" re-runs.

32 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

To me, one of the most peculiar things about TU is the fact that the overwhelming majority of athletic staff and University administration, sees TU as a "football school". 

I just don't get that. But, it's the way they see themselves. 

Heck, You think they would be happy to have a little bit of basketball conversation as that place has been a ghost town!:)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I root for T U football and basketball when they're not playing ORU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:29 AM, darrenj said:

Very nice for you to say. 

For Tulsa what do the fans think of the new coach? Would seem to be a massive rebuild next couple of years BUT with the portal the way it is now that should help with speeding the process up. Also, helps that Houston and Cinn. are going to Big 12. I know the conference has added a couple as well. 

I could write a dissertation on the topic, but the reality is: a) the answer will change dramatically over the next 3 months of roster churn, and b) its the least of your worries on a Selection Sunday where you know your team is in.

• Upvote 1

Tulsa had two more guys in the portal today: Sam Griffith and Benson.  Now 5 of their top 6 players are gone.  Talk about a total rebuild.

8 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Tulsa had two more guys in the portal today: Sam Griffith and Benson.  Now 5 of their top 6 players are gone.  Talk about a total rebuild.

Looks like the coach is bringing in his former players from La. Tech as he just got commitments from 2 guards from there in the last couple of days. They will have a completely different team next year for sure. 

For anyone who thinks ORU has issues currently:  TU now has TEN players in the transfer portal:

ScreenShot2023-03-22at1_33_02PM.png.aa50bbbcd23382dc375f6c768676e310.png

I knew they were going to do a little housecleaning in hopes of improving that 5-25 record, but this is tantamount to full-on demolition. #CleanSlab

explosion building GIF by South Park

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2