Is Max Staying?

Old Titan

There's this thing called unfinished business. We need to get back to the Big Dance. Besides, Max has only one year of college left--so close to his degree!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Incredible compilation; the defensive deficiencies profiled toward the end are glaring at any level. 

• Upvote 1

VERY insightful. I’m sure that these are areas that he is working diligently on.  I have to wonder…would Max be a better defender (due to improved stamina) if he only averaged 32-34 minutes per game? I understand that he WANTS to play all forty minutes, but maybe it’s not in his best interest.  Also, I remember Max being skilled at drawing numerous charges in his earlier years, but I don’t remember as many in recent games.  Is this likely by design of Max and/or the coaches, in order to not take a toll on his body?  

• Like 1

Max needs to stay at ORU for one more year...finish his degree and lead the Golden Eagles to another Summit League title.....TheEagleman sets the odds at -120.....:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

Just for discussion: if Max does go pro then how do you like ORU's chances next year?  Also, that would leave open two scholarship options.  The Eagles would then be thin at the point guard position and maybe would go for another player out of the D1 transfer portal or a juco point guard with some experience.  Just putting some ideas out there on the forum.

Then only good part of Max if he left would be that the others would have to step up and improve, especially guys like Carlos, DJ, Kareem and Lufile, who have been at ORU for a combined 13 years!

This is college, not the pros.

Guys are always moving on, even more so now with the immediate playing options afforded by the transfer portal.

And new guys are always taking their place, maybe not in the same way as their predecessors, but life goes on. 

Plus, to suggest that ORU will be short-handed in the point-and combo-guard area if Max leaves is funny. 

Are you worried that the number would be down to half-a-dozen? 🤣

Good points all, OT....and if Max moves on we all wish him the best.....he's a Top 10 Golden Eagle for sure! :shield-logo:

I honestly think ORU basketball is in fine hands with or without max. In my opinion, max is done at ORU, so I’ve already thought through lineups and the roster without Max in mind, and I think McBride, Jurgens, Thompson, Phipps, Weaver, Lufile, Vanover, Herron and Mwamba is a strong 9-man lineup, with Amboree and Williams playing limited minutes in case of injury. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I honestly think ORU basketball is in fine hands with or without max. In my opinion, max is done at ORU, so I’ve already thought through lineups and the roster without Max in mind, and I think McBride, Jurgens, Thompson, Phipps, Weaver, Lufile, Vanover, Herron and Mwamba is a strong 9-man lineup, with Amboree and Williams playing limited minutes in case of injury. 

We could argue the merits of swapping Williams and Amboree for Phipps and Mwamba, but you're not wrong in principle.

• Like 1

Don't you think Conner will be in the mix? Curious why his name was left off the list by OT and Golden Eagle fan. 

Conner was a big prize for ORU. He will be in the mix. Word out on Conner is good attitude and work ethic!

1 hour ago, dave said:

Don't you think Conner will be in the mix? Curious why his name was left off the list by OT and Golden Eagle fan. 

I put him down… by last name: Vanover

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

We could argue the merits of swapping Williams and Amboree for Phipps and Mwamba, but you're not wrong in principle.

No doubt. Depth will not be a concern with or without Max in the lineup.

That does not even consider that we have at least one open position. I have heard that a couple of players have been on campus in the last week or so.  Who knows if any of them will commit but we are definitely looking. 

Who would be the other point guards: McBride and Amboree as a backup.  Unless he is just a stud, then ORU would probaly not want a freshman (Amboree) to play too many minutes as a point guard.  If Max goes then I would think McBride becomes Max Jr.  Meaning Isaac would be option number one on offense and might average 35 minutes a game.