Is Max Staying?

Old Titan

Max change majors? Thought he was a biomed major. Guess he wanted to make sure he knew how to count all that NIL monies…

I find it interesting that Max hasn't said  what he will do next year. Surprising he hasn't declared for the draft with the option to come back to college, like he did last year. At this point here are his main options: 1) tryout for G League/NBA, 2) play overseas, 3) transfer to another college, 4) stay at ORU. Am I missing other options? What will he do????

I think Max is a very sensible and mature young man. I believe he will weigh all of his options, pray, talk with his family, perhaps talk with his professors, and then decide. He is wise. He is smart. He will do the right thing.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, eagle88 said:

I find it interesting that Max hasn't said  what he will do next year. Surprising he hasn't declared for the draft with the option to come back to college, like he did last year. At this point here are his main options: 1) tryout for G League/NBA, 2) play overseas, 3) transfer to another college, 4) stay at ORU. Am I missing other options? What will he do????

Gotta admit, more than a little concerned to have not yet seen something from Max similar to this pronouncment on Twitter today:

Max keeps falling further and further down NBA draft boards: now they have him ranked 126 out of 126 players eligible for the draft.  It is a mixed bag: of course, we want him to come back to ORU for his senior year but then a part of me is disappointed he has dropped so fast.  A year ago, he was the rising star in the draft, probably ranked between 35-45 on the draft board.

A few ramblings: very few quality point guards in this year's draft (3-4 at the most) and yet Max is listed at the bottom.  Last year's draft had a lot of talented point guards so Max came back to improve his stock and yet it dropped 80 points.  At the end of the day, Max is really a shooting guard in a small point guard's body.  Wonder how hard it is on him to be so close to the draft last year and now basically no NBA scouts are even interested?

A friend who used to be in the pro game assures me Max would have gone undrafted last year, and that was even before his disappointing performance at the NBA combine.

I see Max as a combo guard who can excel in either the SG or PG role.  He has dished out a lot of assists over the last 3 years.

Any reason why OT?  So was last year's NBA draft process for Max just smoke and mirrors?

And to your point Jason, I was surprised that Max did not really improve some with his assists this year, say maybe go up to about 5 assists a game.  He even dropped a small percentage from 20-21.  

4 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Any reason why OT?  So was last year's NBA draft process for Max just smoke and mirrors?

There is and will always be a fascination with Max's shooting range and his inate feel for the offensive game, but the simple truth is that, on both ends of the court, he has not (yet?) proven to be athletic enough to overcome his diminutive size at the NBA level.

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

There is and will always be a fascination with Max's shooting range and his inate feel for the offensive game, but the simple truth is that, on both ends of the court, he has not (yet?) proven to be athletic enough to overcome his diminutive size at the NBA level.

I agree. l love Max. He's a great shooter and a fantastic leader, but without a dominant power forward or small shooting forward on the court with him, Max is not nearly as dominant. I hope he comes back and has his best year ever and leads ORU to the Summit title. But someone else is going to have to step up and become a threat for him to have another great year.   

Same thing they said about Steph coming out of Davidson 

I certainly could be wrong, but I just don't see the comparison between Abmas and Curry. I would love to see him develop like Steph and certainly hope he does. Here's hoping. 

1 hour ago, vcboy2000 said:

Same thing they said about Steph coming out of Davidson 

LOL - please. 

Max is nowhere near the distributor Curry is.  Curry is a dynamite floor general.

And, Steph is a LOT longer; the question on him out of college was whether he was too skinny.

That’s different (and, he wasn’t!). 

I'm not saying Max is as good as Steph, just saying the reason all of the ACC stayed away when he was coming out of high school was the same thing many of those NBA scouts were saying when he declared for the draft, "He is too small to play against bigger stronger guards."

And 6'2 for Curry is a bit generous. 😉

I was looking at Max's point total. It seems that he moved from #26 to #10 on the 1,000-points list. Am I getting that right?

• 3 weeks later...