Is Max Staying?

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

You know, one of the really great things about attending ORU baseball games is hearing things through the grapevine. Tuesday night’s battering of Arkansas-Pine Bluff was no exception  

Here’s a few tidbits I’ve managed to gather re: one Maxwell Abmas:

• He’s still on campus, attending classes.

• He’s enjoying the spoils of his recently-inked NIL deal with a local car dealership:  a shiny new Corvette.

• He’s been spotted out at a local eatery on what appeared to be a date with an ORU coed.

• He hasn’t entered the transfer portal or announced that he’s signed with an agent. 

In short, he’s acting just like a star college basketball player who’s enjoying his first true off-season in two years, and who’s planning on returning for what would be a career record-shattering season.

This week I’ve been assured by three different people on campus - people who should know - that Max is not interested in transferring to another school, only in going pro. 

So I gotta ask you:  does this look or sound like a guy who’s getting ready to declare for the NBA draft?

Or, to put it differently:  if he’s staying, isn’t this exactly what it would look like?

The best thing I’ve read all week! I said this In another post but I hoped he would come back for his senior season, tear it up on the court, and we hang his name in the rafters a few years later.

11 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

The best thing I’ve read all week! I said this In another post but I hoped he would come back for his senior season, tear it up on the court, and we hang his name in the rafters a few years later.

And I'm sure he'll graduate on time🏀

I sure hope Max stays but will he sign a 2 way deal and go to the league? After all his dream is to play in the NBA. I am sure he is exploring all of his options and that be why he is tight lipped.

23 minutes ago, Tru Blue said:

I sure hope Max stays but will he sign a 2 way deal and go to the league? After all his dream is to play in the NBA. I am sure he is exploring all of his options and that be why he is tight lipped.

Can’t blame him if he wants to go the pro route; he’s given ORU his all for three seasons and he deserves to be happy. 

Im just relieved to know that if he’s not playing for ORU he won’t be suiting up for any other college team, particularly a local one. That would be painful. 

I really don't think Max has any interest in playing for another college. He has proven his loyalty by staying at ORU. It meant a lot to him how much love our coaches showed him when most other colleges overlooked him. Max's Dad told me he was out of town when Max came to visit ORU. He told Max not to commit to any school until he got back in town. When He got back he asked Max how the recruiting trip went and Max told him he was going to Oral Roberts! Troy said in a shocked tone "Oral Roberts"!! Max told his Dad they really want me!

• Upvote 3

This year Max only has until April 24th to decide if he is going to turn pro. So about three and a half weeks. 

Do you think he would go back to the combine or even get invited this year? I would be surprised if he did, just not sure he is one of the top 75 players that would get invited.

Im' not sure he will get an invite this year but my hunch is he will sign a 2 way deal. At this point this may be his best shot at getting in the league. I believe Shake Milton who played at Owasso High School started his NBA carrier by signing a 2 way deal. Max seems to have a lot of drive so no question he will be persistent!

I had to look this up because I had never heard of it before.....

"This type of contract started during the 2017-18 season in the NBA and is offered only to undrafted players. Each NBA team is allowed up to two two-way players on their roster at a time, essentially expanding their roster to 17 players as they are able to move them freely between their G-League and NBA team."

Link:   Two Way Deal

• Upvote 1

Have no inside information but here is a possibility: Max knows the NBA is a long shot and most likely he will end up playing pro ball overseas. So he decides to just enjoy his last year at ORU: have a good senior year, graduate, find a girlfriend or maybe wife and then play in Europe for a few years. Then when basketball is over he has his degree and can find a good job in the States. Just a thought 

To get Max back for 1 more year would be a huge bonus! Let's hope it happens! I think he has a girlfriend at ORU so that is one item we can check off!

13 hours ago, Tru Blue said:

On these two way deals you are at the teams mercy and they can change the players on the 2 way as well. Usually it is for the 2nd round draft picks of teams as well and i am not sure Max would be drafted if he came out. 

Now he could go overseas tomorrow and make $250K to $300K a year pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You know, one of the really great things about attending ORU baseball games is hearing things through the grapevine. Tuesday night’s battering of Arkansas-Pine Bluff was no exception  

Here’s a few tidbits I’ve managed to gather re: one Maxwell Abmas:

• He’s still on campus, attending classes.

• He’s enjoying the spoils of his recently-inked NIL deal with a local car dealership:  a shiny new Corvette.

• He’s been spotted out at a local eatery on what appeared to be a date with an ORU coed.

• He hasn’t entered the transfer portal or announced that he’s signed with an agent. 

In short, he’s acting just like a star college basketball player who’s enjoying his first true off-season in two years, and who’s planning on returning for what would be a career record-shattering season.

This week I’ve been assured by three different people on campus - people who should know - that Max is not interested in transferring to another school, only in going pro. 

So I gotta ask you:  does this look or sound like a guy who’s getting ready to declare for the NBA draft?

Or, to put it differently:  if he’s staying, isn’t this exactly what it would look like?

Wondering what Max's total income is from his NIL deals right now? I know GLeague salaries are around $75K per year and i wonder if he is close to that?

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Was it Taco Bueno? That would be a serious date.

• Haha 1

Ah....this is GREAT NEWS!!....TheEagleman hopes Max comes back for another year and with the way this past season ended...I expect he just might.....Corvette?  hot ORU Coed?.....Max is livin' large.....God Bless Him!!....😎

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, darrenj said:

Wondering what Max's total income is from his NIL deals right now? I know GLeague salaries are around $75K per year and i wonder if he is close to that?

Does he have any NIL deals outside of the car dealership? I haven't heard or seen anything else other than just his apparel sales. I'd be curious to know how much he's made off of that. He sold quite a bit. 

If Mills is able to retain Max AGAIN, this would be the biggest recruiting win for ORU since...? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Does he have any NIL deals outside of the car dealership? I haven't heard or seen anything else other than just his apparel sales. I'd be curious to know how much he's made off of that. He sold quite a bit. 

If Mills is able to retain Max AGAIN, this would be the biggest recruiting win for ORU since...? 

...getting him to come back last year. 😃

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1