21-22 Schedule

Keenan Henderson

OSU is going to be very good once again.  They have a lot of players returning (except for top pick Cummingham) and they brought in a transfer from Memphis.  The Cowboys should be a top 25 team when they come to the Mabee Center.  For those of us outside of Tulsa/OKC area, the game might be televised by one of the ESPN stations.

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

If we are only playing 2 Power 5 teams in the non-conference schedule and only one of those at home they need a win or 2 in those games to really keep the excitement and momentum going for the students, local media and casual fans.

Will OSU even be a P5 team by the time November rolls around?😄

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 5:48 PM, jmg1984 said:

So true! Great  memories of you helping to beat OSU in 1983!🏀

The only thing better then running out of the tunnel at the Mabee Center to play the Pokes! is running back through the tunnel after just kicking Pistol Pete's a _ _!!!

Go Eagles!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TheEagleman wouldn't be surprised at all if the November OSU at ORU game is on ESPN or FoxSports.....that's just a very attractive early season match up.....:circle-logoi:

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

The only thing better then running out of the tunnel at the Mabee Center to play the Pokes! is running back through the tunnel after just kicking Pistol Pete's a _ _!!!

Go Eagles!!

So true!

Hey 40, did the bball team members enjoy running through the student body when they would line up on the court and form a circular path when the Titans would enter? I know we did. I imagine they don't do that anymore. How long did that tradition survive? 

11 hours ago, dave said:

Hey 40, did the bball team members enjoy running through the student body when they would line up on the court and form a circular path when the Titans would enter? I know we did. I imagine they don't do that anymore. How long did that tradition survive? 

Hey Dave, I'm confident that I'm speaking for almost all current and former players in saying the BB team loves playing at the Mabee Center, and appreciates everyone that comes out to the games. But, the student section is so special!! They're loud and crazy and having a great time, and they are the players peers, their friends. Your interactions with the students at the games and on campus are the best part of playing college BB. The student section is the guy you sit next to in class that will joke and laugh with you about the bonehead turnover you made in the last game or the girls at the table next to you at lunch that hilariously shot down your goofy teammate's not so smooth advances.  The players and the students share the highs of a big win and the lows of a disappointing loss, its just too bad last years team didn't get to share more of the conference tourney win and NCAA run on campus because they had to stay in their bubble. 

Playing early season home games next season against OSU and TU should get more people back into the newly updated Mabee Center, winning 1 or both of those games should go a long way in getting more people-particularly the students,  to keep coming back to games. 

As an old former player, my hope is that the one thing that comes from last seasons success and the program that coach Mills is building... it's that the ORU hoops home games become well attended, loud, exciting and fun again!!!!

Go Eagles!!!  

The fan base is expanding! I got the owner of my gym who is a Sooner fan to put up the Golden Eagles!! Success beats success!

20210724_114316.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well...it's August.....hopefully we should see an official ORU OOC scheduled released within the next few weeks.....TheEagleman is looking forward to that.....will teams be more interested in playing us because of our Sweet Sixteen run or will they be wanting to avoid a decent mid major even at home?.....:tb-blue:

My sources tell me most of the big programs do not want to play us. The words I have heard is "they don't want to pay to potentially lose"!

Big D-1 Power 5 schools scared to play small 4K student body ORU which has had an overall losing record over the past decade.....sorry but that's very lame and sad.....pathetic in fact....God Bless Oklahoma State for being the only one with the stones to put us on the schedule.....:tb-white:

I'd like to see us get more aggressive in scheduling, even if some power 5 teams don't want to play us, some do! It may not be be this year but we could add some big schools to our schedule in the next 2-3 years. Max will probably only be around one more year, but coach Mills is building a very solid program that will be competitive this year and moving forward, lets parlay that sweet 16, midcourt Max hype and Mabee renovations out a few years.  Just beating small schools by 30 in OOC schedule isn't going to continue to grow the program. OSU and TCU are a great start. Seeing OU scheduling Arkansas in Tulsa at the BOK this year and a couple years in the future really ticks me off!!!  

Here are a couple ideas I think could help the program's growth(besides just attempting to schedule home & homes with power 5 teams) moving forward:

*Host our own pre-season holiday tourney, possibly partner up with TU and make it a City of Tulsa event- played at the Mabee center one year and at TU the next or both if we could get enough teams involved, get some other "name" regional schools- like an Arkansas, OU, OSU or Wichita St, maybe an SMU or other Texas team, names people would know and close enough that their fans could come to the games. Lets show off the new Mabee center, maybe get some national media attention.

*Host either a large high school tourney for a few local schools, but bring in some large regional schools or an AAU summer event on campus. Lets get some top regional high school recruits and coaches on campus to see the school and our facilities, etc. 

*Get the NCAA regionals back in the Mabee if possible, this could be difficult with the BOK, but we could possibly be a venue if Tulsa got a regional and we have a great history hosting NCAA games- ORU 74' vs Louisville and Kansas- Phi Slamma Jamma and Michael Jordan are just a few examples.

Just kicking around some ideas, we've done a great job of keeping coach Mills, Max is back and we are renovating the Mabee center. We cant just take a few no's and keep playing lesser competition.  Let's upgrade our schedule a little and keep the momentum going.  Success breeds success!!!  

• Like 1

Sorry, TheEagleman forgot about TCU...kudos to them as well....TU hates to play us once a year so doubtful that they would want to co-host a tournament but it is a great idea....I remember the old ORU Classic we used to hold back in the 70s and early 80s.....that's an excellent idea and while Power 5 schools may not wish to participate I am sure we could attract some solid mid majors that would sell tickets...another local school being involved would surely help attendance.....this is long overdue.....:circle-logoi:

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry, TheEagleman forgot about TCU...kudos to them as well....TU hates to play us once a year so doubtful that they would want to co-host a tournament but it is a great idea....I remember the old ORU Classic we used to hold back in the 70s and early 80s.....that's an excellent idea and while Power 5 schools may not wish to participate I am sure we could attract some solid mid majors that would sell tickets...another local school being involved would surely help attendance.....this is long overdue.....:circle-logoi:

Now that TU has a new president, Brad Carson--who received his B.A. from Baylor, by the way--maybe attitudes will change when it comes to playing ORU?

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Big D-1 Power 5 schools scared to play small 4K student body ORU which has had an overall losing record over the past decade.....sorry but that's very lame and sad.....pathetic in fact....God Bless Oklahoma State for being the only one with the stones to put us on the schedule.....:tb-white:

It is so pathetic chickens!

On 8/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, titansforever said:

Now that TU has a new president, Brad Carson--who received his B.A. from Baylor, by the way--maybe attitudes will change when it comes to playing ORU?

In what way?

TU fans on their message board have so far been a little disappointed - even concerned - at Carson’s indifference toward TU Athletics in general, and their moribund basketball situation in particular.

Not a good sign for a school facing a myriad of financial burdens athletically in the face of their quixotic pursuit of D1 football relevance, plus a suddenly-precarious conference affiliation landscape.