2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

I have personally seen Jurgens, Clover and Alexandre on several occasions this summer. I talked with Jurgens a week ago.

5 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

I have personally seen Jurgens, Clover and Alexandre on several occasions this summer. I talked with Jurgens a week ago.

That is a very big one as i think Jurgens is 2nd best player on the team with Obanor gone. Good ball handler and shooter and will cover the best offensive wing on the other team. Can't have enough of those type of guys. 

1 hour ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

The ORU mbb Instagram page has Bergans tagged in that photo, so I think he is coming back. Do we know anything about Plet or Alexandre? If Obanor doesn’t return I would think Plet would get a lot of minutes at the 4. 

Looking at the lineup of players that OT updated, I have no idea who you sit. Maybe the new PG from Rice get Redshirted with Abmas coming back and Bergans getting the backup minutes(won’t be many of those). I would assume Phipps and McBride will play the 2 guard with weaver and Jurgens and Thompson splitting time at the 3 , Lacis and Plet if he returns at the 4 and either lufile, clover, or Herron at the 5. What happens if Obanor returns!!! Mills is going to have his work cut out for him finding minutes for all of these guys!

I would think Weaver is the starting 4 this year if Obanor is gone. Gonna be small but a heck of a lot of shooters on the team!:) 

1 minute ago, darrenj said:

I would think Weaver is the starting 4 this year if Obanor is gone. Gonna be small but a heck of a lot of shooters on the team!:) 

Weaver is very talented but has battled so many injuries.  If he is healthy, then DJ could be that pick and pop option with Max to replace K.O.

You can run the pick and roll/pop with 2 guards. Doesn't have to be a big. 

I think we're getting too hung up on needing a "big" to run that.

6 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

You can run the pick and roll/pop with 2 guards. Doesn't have to be a big. 

I think we're getting too hung up on needing a "big" to run that.

You can but what made it work so well is having a big switch onto Max and the small guard onto Obanor. 

If you run it with 2 guards they just switch. Most teams don't care which guard covers it. 

20 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Weaver is very talented but has battled so many injuries.  If he is healthy, then DJ could be that pick and pop option with Max to replace K.O.

He really needs to stay healthy this year as probably the best big on the team without Obanor on there. Very good option at the 4. 

10 minutes ago, darrenj said:

You can but what made it work so well is having a big switch onto Max and the small guard onto Obanor. 

If you run it with 2 guards they just switch. Most teams don't care which guard covers it. 

Fair point. But, if run properly, can still get good results.

And who knows, maybe with 3 really good shooting guards on the floor, they'll run something different? I'm thinking the motion that Cal runs at Kentucky might be the ticket. 

29 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Fair point. But, if run properly, can still get good results.

And who knows, maybe with 3 really good shooting guards on the floor, they'll run something different? I'm thinking the motion that Cal runs at Kentucky might be the ticket. 

The one thing you know is they are going to put up a lot of 3s this year!:) They will probably at the least always have 3 to 4 really good shooters on the floor at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, darrenj said:

The one thing you know is they are going to put up a lot of 3s this year!:) They will probably at the least always have 3 to 4 really good shooters on the floor at the same time. 

Yes sir. Heck, they might even consider going early 90's Loyola Marymount, next year. Or, early 70's Ken Trickey ORU ball. 😉

Run and Gun ORU Basketball returns to the Mabee Center with the new exterior blue paint and the wonderful upgraded blue seats....TheEagleman needs to get to Tulsa this season....i feel a road trip coming on.....:circle-logoi:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Yes sir. Heck, they might even consider going early 90's Loyola Marymount, next year. Or, early 70's Ken Trickey ORU ball. 😉

Did Trickey's teams not have much of a post presence?

59 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Did Trickey's teams not have much of a post presence?

They weren't a focal point of the offense in Trickey's first go-around at ORU, but the post players he did have were incredible leapers/rebounders/shot blockers.  Eddie Woods, Greg McDougald, and David Vaughn were all NBA-caliber talents.  Eddie pulled down 30 rebounds one game against Lamar, while averaging 12.8 rebounds a game for his career.  Vaughn averaged 19.2 points and 14.3 rebounds a game in his single All-American season on the Titan varsity in 1972-73.

Trickey wasn't able to recruit the same kind of post talent during his second stint at ORU, settling instead for a lot of long, forward-types who could really flip & fly.  One exception was Iowa-transfer Ray Thompson, a classic "back-to-the-basket" power forward who scored over 1300 points on really bad teams in Trickey's final two seasons.  He is undoubtedly the most underrated player in ORU history, averaging 24.6 points and 9.6 rebounds a game for his career.  Think Emmanuel Nzekwesi, but stronger, more athletic, and with better skills in the post.

• Upvote 1

With the new addition, can someone put together an all too early to tell depth chart? Anyone able to see rec ball games with the players in the athletic center yet? Was there a more exciting year to watch the blue white scrimmage? (When is it??)

Now that the roster seems to be coming together, ORU has eight guys that will be the core of this next year's team.  Mills usually will play around 10 in the nonconference schedule and then slim it down to 8 for the conference season/post season.

Just a guess but here is my starting five: Max, Carlos, Kareem, Weaver, and Lufile.  Then the bench will consist of McBride, Phipps, and Lacis.  Those eight have all played D1 basketball and are solid guys. We will have to wait and see as far as who emerges from the other guys.  This is also based on no injuries or players leaving for any other reason.

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Now that the roster seems to be coming together, ORU has eight guys that will be the core of this next year's team.  Mills usually will play around 10 in the nonconference schedule and then slim it down to 8 for the conference season/post season.

Just a guess but here is my starting five: Max, Carlos, Kareem, Weaver, and Lufile.  Then the bench will consist of McBride, Phipps, and Lacis.  Those eight have all played D1 basketball and are solid guys. We will have to wait and see as far as who emerges from the other guys.  This is also based on no injuries or players leaving for any other reason.

Carlos, Kareem, Phipps and Mcbride are all going to battle for the 2/3 spots. My guess is that Mcbride wins the 2 spot and Carlos ends up winning the 3. The competition between those guys will be very interesting to watch. I'm going to bet that competition continues all season long and each of these guys will see quite a few starts.

I'd also assume that Lacis starts at the 4 and Weaver comes off the bench. 

Will be hard to displace Thompson and Jurgens given how they were playing at the end of the year.  Both also provide good size at their positions. 

Competition is a good thing…

On 7/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, Old Titan said:

Thanks, Doc - I’ve added Bergens to the roster, which now stands at 12 scholarship players, with no “COVID exceptions” that would permit scholarships beyond the normal limit of 13 players. 

That means only one spot left for either Plet or Alexandre as scholarship players.

Latest (7/19/21) roster update in the first post of this thread:

• Edited Obanor from “transfer portal” to “Texas Tech”.
  • Added Luka Tekavcic to roster (not official yet, but appears legitimate)

Luka is #13 on the roster now.  As previously mentioned:  what do all these signings and transfers mean for Plet and/or Alexandre returning?