2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

Kind of disappointed that it did not work out for RJ.  He was playing good before the injury and then he missed the dream run to the Sweet Sixteen.  Then he decided to transfer.  So he basically missed out on the best part of last season and what should be a good year in 21-22.  Guess he would rather be the best player on a subpar mid major team instead of having another chance to go to the NCAA tournament. 

5 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Kind of disappointed that it did not work out for RJ.  He was playing good before the injury and then he missed the dream run to the Sweet Sixteen.  Then he decided to transfer.  So he basically missed out on the best part of last season and what should be a good year in 21-22.  Guess he would rather be the best player on a subpar mid major team instead of having another chance to go to the NCAA tournament. 

That's unkind. It's obvious that Mills wants to move Max to PG full time and has pushed his chips all in to make that happen. Max plays 35-40 mins a game and there are other guards that are going to be at ORU longer term that need mins to develop. There is no place for RJ at ORU given the current line up and the fact that after the run, Mills wants to move other guys up. That's not a failing of his but a situational reality that forced him to make a choice. Remember, he only has 1 year left to play college ball and he already has his degree . . . . do you really think it's fair to expect him to stay in that kind of situation?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, PlayerUnknown said:

That's unkind. It's obvious that Mills wants to move Max to PG full time and has pushed his chips all in to make that happen. Max plays 35-40 mins a game and there are other guards that are going to be at ORU longer term that need mins to develop. There is no place for RJ at ORU given the current line up and the fact that after the run, Mills wants to move other guys up. That's not a failing of his but a situational reality that forced him to make a choice. Remember, he only has 1 year left to play college ball and he already has his degree . . . . do you really think it's fair to expect him to stay in that kind of situation?

This ^^^^^

RJ owes ORU nothing; he played his butt off every minute he was on the floor; and you could tell by his body language on the sidelines following the injury that he was "all in" with ORU's postseason run.  Can't blame the guy for wanting to play as much as he can next season in his last year.

I hope he challenges Max for the NCAA scoring title next season (see what I did there, with Max being in college & all next year?  LOL).

Verbal Commits is reporting that over 1,425 players are currently in the transfer portal. That’s not counting the players who entered & left - like Phipps or Glasper. 

On 4/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, Old Titan said:

It's been interesting to see so far where portal entrants from the Summit League have landed; everywhere from Power Five programs such as Florida (Brandon McKissic/UMKC) and Arkansas (Stanly Umude/USD), all the way down to the lowest-major schools like Incarnate Word (RJ Glaspar/ORU), UNC Pembroke (Tyre Boykin/UMKC), and Bethune-Cookman (Jonathan Bolden/UMKC).

And, if that seems like an inordinate number of players from UMKC, it's only because it is:  the Roos had NINE players enter the portal...

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

Here's a link to the the 5 million or so names that are portalized right now:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021

Rebraca to Iowa

You could see the handwriting on the wall. The team clearly turned a corner defensively with longer guards in the starting lineup. If Mills didn't make the adjustment, I would have questions. Now I do wonder what he will do with Phipps. Does he come off the bench for Max? His lack of length could put us in the same situation as when RJ was on the floor. Am I correct that Trey and RJ are around the same height?

4 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

If Mills didn't make the adjustment, I would have questions. Now I do wonder what he will do with Phipps. Does he come off the bench for Max? His lack of length could put us in the same situation as when RJ was on the floor. Am I correct that Trey and RJ are around the same height?

I think Phipps may be a bit taller (listed at 6'2") but probably not as quick as RJ.

Phipps won’t be called on to be a point guard like Glasper was. That role is for Abmas or Jurgens... or maybe even Thompson. 

11 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Phipps won’t be called on to be a point guard like Glasper was. That role is for Abmas or Jurgens... or maybe even Thompson. 

What Phipps provides is shooting and spacing the floor. He won't have to come in and be the main ball handler and make all of those decisions. 

Imagine a lineup with Phipps, Max, Obanor and Jurgens spacing the floor. That will open up the floor for Max to get to the basket and get everyone open shots. I will take my chances with that one. If he is the 1rst or 2nd guy off the bench that is not a bad thing at all. 

I would imagine Phipps has gotten stronger and is a better player than he was in high school. Hard not to after practicing and playing in the Big 12. I will take a transfer from a top 25 team in the Big 12 all day. 

Hopefully now with the trickle down effect they can get a couple of bigs to transfer in and be ready to go next year. 

• Upvote 1

ORU....the Gonzaga or Villanova of the Midwest?....well....TheEagleman can dream....😍.:circle-logoi:🤩

Updated 5/1/21 to move Elijah Lufile up to the roster for the upcoming season. 

Take it to the bank:  barring unforeseen circumstances; he will be back on the floor this fall.

56 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Updated 5/1/21 to move Elijah Lufile up to the roster for the upcoming season. 

Take it to the bank:  barring unforeseen circumstances; he will be back on the floor this fall.

This is fantastic news! 

Wonder where Lufile will fit in next year.  He is not a shooter so the five out does not work with him in the lineup. Since he is more of a traditional big, maybe a rebounder for missed threes and second chance put backs.  That is more his game.

31 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Wonder where Lufile will fit in next year.  He is not a shooter so the five out does not work with him in the lineup. Since he is more of a traditional big, maybe a rebounder for missed threes and second chance put backs.  That is more his game.

Sorry, but this is funny. 

His place in in the post, doing posty things, against other post players.

Anybody who thinks ORU can successfully navigate a 30-game schedule with Lacis and Weaver defending the paint the whole game has succumbed to “Position-less Basketball Fever”.

Hear your point OT and it is valid.  ORU had one of its greatest runs in school history playing position-less basketball last year.  So the question is: do they stay with the position less type lineup or go back to a bigger lineup with Lufile/Sir Isaac?  Maybe a mixture of both.  Time will tell.

Lufile is a Mark Vital type guy (Lufile at 6'8' vs Vital's 6'5").

ORU played out of position without Lufile out of necessity. I think Obanor playing the pure 4 and freeing up DJ from crashing the glass as much would be a huge improvement.

I heard that the coaching staff was planning on Lufile playing a big role on last year’s team. Elijah’s inability to play because of his health issue resulted in a pretty significant change of plans for the team. 

This team lacked a real post presence as well as a rebounding force down low to help Obanor. I agree with Doc that Lufile could be the guy like Mark Vital (Baylor) that contributes without having to score.