2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

On 5/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU had one of its greatest runs in school history playing position-less basketball last year.

Let’s be honest, now:  what ORU had at the very end of a mediocre season was a miraculous 6-game stretch of career performances from all five starters; highlighted by near-perfect “pick & pop” play out top by Abmas & Obanor, fanatical defense from Lacis & Jurgens, solid scoring from Thompson* as a third option, a game-winning corner three from Weaver, culminating in one after another last-minute escapes.

Simply put, ORU won 5 of those 6 games - and nearly won them all - DESPITE getting obliterated on the glass and in the paint in almost every game. 

Incredible?  You bet.

Sustainable?  Doubtful  

Trust me:  they need Lufile,or someone like him, doing the heavy lifting for long-term success. 

* Edited 5/4 from "Freeman" to "Thompson".  I don't know why, but I constantly do that with Kareem's last name; major-league mental block on my part. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hear what you guys are saying and it is all good.  Here is another thought about Lufile: by the time he returns in November, he will have been out for close to two years (21 months).  Will it take him say the nonconference schedule to get back to playing at a high level or do you think he will be ready to go right away?

Last year it seemed to take DJ and Carlos about 10-15 games to get their mojo going again, after missing a year of basketball.  

Enjoy watching Lufile play and cannot remember ORU having a guy like him in years.  He is a rock that could probaly play tight end in the NFL someday (just kidding).  Would love to see him go agaisnt that solid frontcourt that SDSU has: try three studs that can all score inside.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, ORUTerry said:

Phipps won’t be called on to be a point guard like Glasper was. That role is for Abmas or Jurgens... or maybe even Thompson. 

Since its now likely Max wont be back, the PG position is the biggest question that needs to be answered.

Max will leave some big light blue Nikes to fill,  the PG has to be a great ball handler and a scoring threat in Mills offense as so much of the offense is generated off of the high screen from KO. The PG has to be able to beat his man off the dribble if he goes over the screen, or hit the J if he goes under with no help from KO's man. He needs to be enough of a scoring treat that KO's man has to hedge off KO which got KO so many great looks because stopping Max became every opponents main focus. 

Each of the potential new PG's Jurgens, Thompson and McBride seem to be good enough ball handlers and have good size, but the question appears to be which one is the best shooter and decision maker to bring the ball up the court against a press, run the offense, score and get KO and the other guys the open shots because the PG is such a treat that their man has to cheat into the lane to help! 

Who's our PG next season?

All the guys you mentioned are more combo guards, not necessarily a true point guard.  Max was more of a combo guard who developed into a point guard.  So one of them will have to make that adjustment, too.  Just guessing but McBride is most likely the best option to move to this position.  You would think the coaches explained that to him when they were recuriting him from Vandy.  

It sounded like last year Max spent a lot of time in the offseason working on this change, since their was not much else going on (with the quarrentine issue). So let us hope that McBride will make that transition as Max did and focus this offseason on becoming a dynamic point guard.

Hard to believe but some of the Summit League teams already have their rosters for 21-22 on their websites (Omaha and South Dakota).  Would think ORU's will not be released until October (usually).

There are a couple of recruits that have not committed to any schools yet. Given their relatively high profile, I am assuming that they might be waiting to see what happens to our roster. 

If my math is right ORU is already at 13 scholarships unless Max or KO decide to go pro.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

If my math is right ORU is already at 13 scholarships unless Max or KO decide to go pro.

Good point Dr. C.  Maybe no one else will transfer and the roster is pretty much set.  We still have six weeks left for guys to transfer but it would surprise me if anyone else did.  Also, verbal commits has ORU with 13 players on scholarship. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Does this include Lufile? I think there might be some uncertainty about his place on the roster next year given his medical condition. Or has that issue been resolved?

I talked with Elijah a month or so ago and he said he will be playing this coming season.

• Upvote 1

from the Katz interview ORUMBB tweeted today.....

• transferring does not sound like an option either will entertain...if they play collegiately, it will be for ORU
  • Max says it will take a 1st round guarantee to remain in the draft
  • it sounded like KO is still feeling out his options

it was not mentioned, but are they allowed to reach out to other pro leagues/teams to see what they can earn oversees and retain eligibility if they don't use an agent? i was just thinking that if Max stays in the draft, KO may be ready to start getting paid even if it's overseas

According to Verbal Commits....

1. Lacis
  2. Lufile
  3. Jurgens
  4. Thompson
  5. Weaver
  6. McBride
  7. Bergens
  8. Phipps
  9. Plet
  10. Clover
  11. Herron
  12. Obanor (currently on scholarship --- awaiting decision)
  13. Abmas (currently on scholarship --- awaiting decision)

Walk on: Alexandre

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

That will make it interesting for Max if he is looking for a guarantee as it will come down to the end of the first round. You never know if another guy slides a bit or if a team trades out. 

14 hours ago, ORUalum said:

from the Katz interview ORUMBB tweeted today.....

• transferring does not sound like an option either will entertain...if they play collegiately, it will be for ORU
  • Max says it will take a 1st round guarantee to remain in the draft
  • it sounded like KO is still feeling out his options

it was not mentioned, but are they allowed to reach out to other pro leagues/teams to see what they can earn oversees and retain eligibility if they don't use an agent? i was just thinking that if Max stays in the draft, KO may be ready to start getting paid even if it's overseas

According to Verbal Commits....

1. Lacis
  2. Lufile
  3. Jurgens
  4. Thompson
  5. Weaver
  6. McBride
  7. Bergens
  8. Phipps
  9. Plet
  10. Clover
  11. Herron
  12. Obanor (currently on scholarship --- awaiting decision)
  13. Abmas (currently on scholarship --- awaiting decision)

Walk on: Alexandre

Looks like a Dream Team.  We would all take those 13 guys in a heartbeat and of course Coach Mills would too!

Even if Max or K.O. go pro, Verbal Commits has six guys still listed as having received a schlorship offer from the Eagles.  So they should not have any problem finding more players.  Still thinking Alexandre is a talented player that Coach Mills should offer a schlorship too, if an extra one is open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated first post:

• Elijah Lawrence to roster 
  • Kevin Obanor to transfer portal

The 2021-22 roster now has two Issacs, two Elijahs, an Ismael, a Nathanial, plus a Samuel on the coaching staff.

If any more Old Testament names get added to the list, can we start referring to this bunch as the “Fighting Israelites”, or the “Golden Prophets”, or maybe even (my personal favorite), the “Chosen Eagles”?? 😇

• Like 1