2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

You gotta think with all the players in the transfer portal, Coach Mills and Co will be bringing in another player or two disgruntled about their playing time at a Power 5 school. 

Might be a shot in the dark but wonder if Coach Mills would have any connection to the transfer from Baylor, Tristian Clark.  He is 6'10 235 and played three seasons with Baylor before sitting out last year with injuries.  He might have come in as Mills was leaving.  Would be a great transfer for ORU to go after, especially with Lufile's health concerns.  Clark would give the Eagles more rebounding and an inside presence that they very badly need.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, ORUalum said:

Showing some love for Glasper!

Important clerical detail regarding Sir Issac Herron and other prep recruits:  currently, they are only "verbal commits".

National Spring Signing Day is Wednesday, April 14th, and the period runs clear through till August 1st.

OU transfer Trey Phipps, on the other hand, has actually signed with ORU, which is why there's already been an official announcement and quotes from Coach Mills about him.

Couple of more OU guards enter the transfer: Harmon and Williams.  Would imagine they are on Coach Mills radar for next season.  With ORU's Sweet Sixteen success, they should be able to land at least one Power 5 transfer.

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Couple of more OU guards enter the transfer: Harmon and Williams.  Would imagine they are on Coach Mills radar for next season.  With ORU's Sweet Sixteen success, they should be able to land at least one Power 5 transfer.

Phipps basically takes Glasper spot. Need a couple of bigs if possible i would think. Even 6'6" 6'7" guys. 

The brothers from Eastern Washington sure would be nice.:) Wonder where they will end up?

Does Phipps play PG like Glasper, or is he more strictly only a shooting guard?

20 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Does Phipps play PG like Glasper, or is he more strictly only a shooting guard?

He’s a bit of a shoot-first-play-defense-later guy. We used to call them a “gunner”.  He’s not the creator that RJ was, partly because RJ was a much more experienced player and more athletic.

If Phipps can enter the game for Thompson or Jurgens off the bench, log 20 or so minutes a game, help bring the ball up, hit 2-to-4 threes a game from the corner or the offside as a third scoring option from Max and Kevin, get to the free throw line on occasion off the drive, and play some semblance of defense on the other end, I would be thrilled. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He’s a bit of a shoot-first-play-defense-later guy. We used to call them a “gunner”.  He’s not the creator that RJ was, partly because RJ was a much more experienced player and more athletic.

If Phipps can enter the game for Thompson or Jurgens off the bench, log 20 or so minutes a game, help bring the ball up, hit 2-to-4 threes a game from the corner or the offside as a third scoring option from Max and Kevin, get to the free throw line on occasion off the drive, and play some semblance of defense on the other end, I would be thrilled. 

How would Phipps compare to Jürgens as freshman? If Phipps can buy in and make the jump that Carlos did (no easy task) then he could be a big contributor.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

How would Phipps compare to Jürgens as freshman? If Phipps can buy in and make the jump that Carlos did (no easy task) then he could be a big contributor.

Oh, Phipps is better than Jurgens as a freshman. YOU AND I are better than Jurgens as a freshman. 

But here’s the deal:  what Carlos did after Glaspar went down is the greatest growth I have EVER SEEN in a player in such a short time.

You heard me saying it in February:  he was the glue the team (and specifically, the defense) sorely needed. But still, when he was thrust into the starting lineup, I was just hopeful he wouldn’t go 1-for-10 each night before fouling out.  Who knew he would figure out EVERYTHING in just a handful of starts??

And, anybody who claims they saw his meteoric rise coming, including the coaching staff, is simply rewriting history.  Carlos would still be “just another guy” heading into next year if RJ hadn’t got hurt.  Now, it’s crazy to me to consider supplanting him in the starting lineup with Phipps or any other transfer, regardless of how many Rivals stars they bring to campus. 

Jurgens’s transformation this year is a wonder. Especially seeing him play his freshman year. Obviously he worked hard last year during his redshirt season. It is also important that he is an ‘old’ sophomore (22 years old?); Carlos is older & stronger than a lot of his opponents. In fact, at the end of the year, I thought he should have maybe not been quite so differential and driven the ball to the hoop more. 

In reality, if Jurgens didn’t pick up his 4th foul in the Arkansas game and have to sit out for a few minutes, ORU would have been playing Baylor in the Elite Eight.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

In reality, if Jurgens didn’t pick up his 4th foul in the Arkansas game and have to sit out for a few minutes, ORU would have been playing Baylor in the Elite Eight.

This...

It's been interesting to see so far where portal entrants from the Summit League have landed; everywhere from Power Five programs such as Florida (Brandon McKissic/UMKC) and Arkansas (Stanly Umude/USD), all the way down to the lowest-major schools like Incarnate Word (RJ Glaspar/ORU), UNC Pembroke (Tyre Boykin/UMKC), and Bethune-Cookman (Jonathan Bolden/UMKC).

And, if that seems like an inordinate number of players from UMKC, it's only because it is:  the Roos had NINE players enter the portal...

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

Here's a link to the the 5 million or so names that are portalized right now:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021

Incarnate Word seems like a good match up for a home and home series with ORU....what's the problem there?....:circle-logoi: