2021-2022 Roster

Old Titan

Alexandre is just a walk-on.  So his role is mainly to be on the scout team in practice and help the guys get ready for the game.  Then he might play in a blow out game vs. non D1 team.

Can’t recall a roster in recent history where playing time will be at such a premium. 

Would have to go back to the “Caleb & Ken” days in the early 2000’s when guys like Moses Ehambe, Marchello Vealy, and Chris Riouse could not get on the floor. 

Have we heard or seen anything regarding whether Plet will not be returning? My question is about Lufile and if he is cleared to play basketball. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Can’t recall a roster in recent history where playing time will be at such a premium. 

Would have to go back to the “Caleb & Ken” days in the early 2000’s when guys like Moses Ehambe, Marchello Vealy, and Chris Riouse could not get on the floor. 

As a corollary to your statement, I don't remember a recent roster of such high quality and depth from top to bottom.  The two Power Five transfers each have a proven skillset that will complement the eight returnees, and will lessen the impact of KO's departure. And, while the prep signees have yet to prove themselves at the college level, they are highly regarded... and I would expect at least one to be a solid contributor this season.  Biggest question marks are team chemistry (as always) and the front court (will Lufile be healthy enough to play a significant role, and what progress has Clover made during the off-season). 

Phipps had a proven skill set in high school but he didn’t prove much at OU last year.  That happens to freshmen at good programs but I am not sure I would consider his skill set to be proven at the D1 level.  However I am excited to see how he will compliment the other guards and what role he will fill.  Likely as a reserve 3 point sharpshooter.

17 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Phipps had a proven skill set in high school but he didn’t prove much at OU last year.  That happens to freshmen at good programs but I am not sure I would consider his skill set to be proven at the D1 level.  However I am excited to see how he will compliment the other guards and what role he will fill.  Likely as a reserve 3 point sharpshooter.

Yeah, with Max returning, I just can't see Phipps getting much meaningful playing time at all. 

Abmas, McBride, Jurgens, Thompson and Lacis stand to get the majority of backcourt minutes.

What a problem to have OT! We have dreamed about this for years......this kind of depth!  Having great depth should create more competition and keep the starters even more hungry!

Yes, the Eagles have a lot of talent on this next season's team. Some of the guys will have to check their egos/attutudes and take on a role player title (doing the dirty work: defense, rebounding, etc). for ORU to be successful.  They did last year and ended up in the Sweet 16!

• Upvote 1

I read about the lengths Max went through off season to improve his game, and I was disappointed as I looked at the stat differences within the past two seasons in some of his teammates.

Max, for example, made significant improvements in every aspect of his game.

Jurgens did double his free throw percentage and increased his overall field goal percentage by almost 8%. The increase, however, was almost totally reflected in his 2 pt shooting while his 3 pt shooting was only 1.4% up from his previous year. His assist rate took an unfortunate hit from 2 a game to 1.76 last year. 
   Lacis’ greatest improvement was in his assist rate (.4 to 1.5 a game), and some key aspects of his defensive game (had 20 steals compared to one the previous season AND doubling up on his block total).      
   His shooting abilities (minus his 2 pt shooting percentage which climbed from 45% to 62%) were diminished, with his 3 pt shooting falling from 38% to 26% and his free throw shooting percentage dropping from 55% to 50%.

I know Weaver’s game took a hit with injuries and showed little to no improvement, but where it really hurt was in his 3 pt shooting, diving from an impressive 42% down to around 35 last year. 

Where Lufile lapsed into problems toward the back end of the previous year was foul trouble, so there is definitely room for improvement in that area. Other than that, the other players’ waters are largely untraveled.

Welcome to the message board Titan Huskeye! Interesting stats you shared. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by some of the new players ie. Sir Isaac, Isaac McBride, Trey Phipps and possibly Luka Tecivic. 

Jurgens took major steps forward both defensively and in his confidence on offense.  His assists percentage may half dropped half of one point but that is inconsequential compared to how he stepped up toward the end of the year.  

1 hour ago, Titan Huskeye said:

I read about the lengths Max went through off season to improve his game, and I was disappointed as I looked at the stat differences within the past two seasons in some of his teammates.

Max, for example, made significant improvements in every aspect of his game.

Jurgens did double his free throw percentage and increased his overall field goal percentage by almost 8%. The increase, however, was almost totally reflected in his 2 pt shooting while his 3 pt shooting was only 1.4% up from his previous year. His assist rate took an unfortunate hit from 2 a game to 1.76 last year. 
   Lacis’ greatest improvement was in his assist rate (.4 to 1.5 a game), and some key aspects of his defensive game (had 20 steals compared to one the previous season AND doubling up on his block total).      
   His shooting abilities (minus his 2 pt shooting percentage which climbed from 45% to 62%) were diminished, with his 3 pt shooting falling from 38% to 26% and his free throw shooting percentage dropping from 55% to 50%.

I know Weaver’s game took a hit with injuries and showed little to no improvement, but where it really hurt was in his 3 pt shooting, diving from an impressive 42% down to around 35 last year. 

Where Lufile lapsed into problems toward the back end of the previous year was foul trouble, so there is definitely room for improvement in that area. Other than that, the other players’ waters are largely untraveled.

Welcome, but I have to strongly disagree with your assessment of some of the players improvement. 

Max is obviously an extremely hard worker, he is a top player in the country that is an NBA level talent. But its unfair to question his teammates work ethic!  It's nearly impossible to compare a player's stats from when they are playing few minutes, usually at the end of already decided games to playing considerably more minutes in competitive games that are still in question. The competition, defense, pressure and a host of other factors are significant and not reflected in stats alone.

Jurgens improvement since he's been at ORU is nothing short of incredible,  he went from a non-factor to a starter and valuable contributor in the the NCAA tournament!! Lacis and Weaver have both improved and I would expect to continue and be very key parts of this years team. 

There's an old saying, "players are made in the summer and teams are made in the fall" and from what I've seen this team imbodies that!! They are all working very hard in the off season to improve their individual skills and once they get back on campus and into practice, they are clearly buying into coach Mills system. They appear to all be coachable, dedicated hard working teammates that are working their butts off to fill their role and make the team better!!

This group through hard work, dedication and toughness has re-established ORU as a prominent basketball program and are building a legacy that will last a very long time!! 

Go Eagles!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Carlos and Francis are studs!  They may not score a lot or shoot the ball at a high rate but they do all the dirty work that wins games.  They usually do not get the credit but they are the glue guys that every team needs.  Sometimes teams can have a lot of star power but still not be good to great because no one was willing to drive for loose balls, shut down the other teams all stars, make the extra pass, etc.  I wonder if they ever got tired of hearing about how great Max and Kevin were last year.  It would be easy to get jealous but ususally we hear how Francis is the best teammate you could ever want!

• Upvote 2

Well said ORU 40! It sounds like you have some first hand knowledge of what is going on this summer.  I can verify that what ORU 40 is saying is spot on! We are going to be in for an exciting season! I can tell you our grad assistants go well beyond the extra mile to help and develop the players which is huge for this time a year,  since the coaches have limited time allowed in the summer with the players.

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

There's an old saying, "players are made in the summer and teams are made in the fall" and from what I've seen this team imbodies that!! They are all working very hard in the off season to improve their individual skills and once they get back on campus and into practice, they are clearly buying into coach Mills system. They appear to all be coachable, dedicated hard working teammates that are working their butts off to fill their role and make the team better!!

In my opinion this was a major key to our success last season and this is why we will be successful again this coming season. From what i have learned many schools, even big schools do not have grad assistants that are as dedicated and care as much about our players as ours do. I fully expect in the years to come some of our grad assistants will be successful college coaches! It's all about what takes place behind the scenes!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Carlos and Francis are studs!  They may not score a lot or shoot the ball at a high rate but they do all the dirty work that wins games.  They usually do not get the credit but they are the glue guys that every team needs. 

Yes!

Carlos improved so much over the course of last season. If he continues on the same path he will be a PROBLEM in our conference.