NCAA First Round: #15 ORU vs. #2 Ohio State

Old Titan

Completely agree with both what KH and Terry posted above.  I know on their boards that there is concern that their guys could have a problem keeping up with Max.  On one of their boards they posted our highlight reel from our game with Oklahoma State and basically all it showed was the Max/Kevin show launching 3 pointers from all over the court and making them.  If our other guys play like they did in the tourney we might be able to shake them a little.  However, that is the fan board, not the team scouting report.  They also went overboard in emphasizing the fact that of all the 68 teams in the Big Dance, we have on paper and statistically the worst defense going. 

ORU playing 7 ranked Ohio State on CBS of the opening game of the NCAA tournament! Do not think we could have dreamed up a better situation at the beginning of the season!  ORU really has nothing to lose. 

I'm sure the Ohio St. coaching staff isn't going to let them overlook anyone. Whether our guys can stay in the game or not very likely comes down to shooting percentages, and if the threes are falling (and especially if theirs aren't) we have a chance.

In Ohio State's 30 games, they were a total of 247 for 677 on 3pt FGs (36.5%), which rounds to an average of 8 for 23 per game. ORU was 294 for 754 (39.0%) in 26 games, or 11 for 29 per game. Obviously, defense plays a part of that, but a hot night for ORU and a cold one for OSU could easily make a 20-point swing from deep.

Here's a pretty good South Bracket that includes: (1) ORU as the "Cinderella team that will surprise" (but limited to "don't be at all surprised if you flip to this game and see Oral Roberts hanging around late") and (2) Max as the #1 of "Six Players to Watch."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2021-ncaa-tournament-bracket-south-region-march-madness-predictions-upsets-players-to-watch/

• Play hard on both sides of the court. Quickly gauge how physical the refs are calling the game and adjust accordingly 
  • Take care of the ball.
  • Shoot well from deep.
  • Ride the horses (Abmas/Obanor) that brought you, but take advantage of open looks elsewhere.
  • Switch defenses; try zone to limit penetration of the lane and interior shots. 
  • Hope that Ohio State goes stone cold shooting the ball. 

I attended the 2018 opening round game when Ohio State played fellow Summit member South Dakota State (with Mike Daum), as a 5/12 matchup.  SDSU went toe to toe with the Buckeyes that afternoon, were tied 43-all at halftime, and tied again for the last time with 1:53 left, before the Jacks went cold and OSU completed an 8 point victory.  The fact that a recent Summit team hung around with the Buckeyes should give the ORU players some confidence going into the tourney.  I also believe that the tip-in in the Summit semis against SDSU and the block against NDSU in the final this year has created a bit of the “team of destiny” aura around the ORU program.  None of this will mean anything once the game starts, but it could certainly help a team in focusing on the pre-game preparations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Quickly gauge how physical the refs are calling the game and adjust accordingly 

We need to continue the better defense we saw in the Summit League tournament but our bigs need to stay out of foul trouble. 

Say what you will about Coach Mills but he has won with this new system: five on the wing, shooting threes, driving to the basket, and little or no post presence.  We all had our doubts but for the most part it has worked.

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

We need to continue the better defense we saw in the Summit League tournament but our bigs need to stay out of foul trouble. 

How many PPG did we allow in the regular season vs. the 75 PPG that we allowed in the conference tournament? 

58 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

How many PPG did we allow in the regular season vs. the 75 PPG that we allowed in the conference tournament? 

I think right now ORU is allowing 75.8 PPG. That’s according to sport-reference.com. 

I don’t think ORU’s defense is actually all that bad. I think they’re a pretty average (okay, maybe slightly below) defensive team that plays at a fast pace. If I am reading the sport-reference site right, ORU’s opponent fg% allowed isn’t terrible. It’s 168th nationally, so middle of the pack. On 2pt attempts ORU fg% allowed is 100th nationally. However, the 3pt fg% allowed is pretty bad, 249th nationally. So, if you think about defense on a per possession basis,  those numbers seem to point to the ORU points allowed per possession being fairly average. However, ORU playing a faster pace than most teams (I think I remember hearing on the ORU radio call that ORU is 46th in pace nationally), results in ORU opponents getting more possessions, and more points as a result. 

I don’t know if any of that makes sense or not. I think it explains how I can watch ORU play and see their effort and think they’re playing good defense, even though they end up giving up 80 points. 

1 hour ago, Idig32 said:

I think right now ORU is allowing 75.8 PPG. That’s according to sport-reference.com. 

I don’t think ORU’s defense is actually all that bad. I think they’re a pretty average (okay, maybe slightly below) defensive team that plays at a fast pace. If I am reading the sport-reference site right, ORU’s opponent fg% allowed isn’t terrible. It’s 168th nationally, so middle of the pack. On 2pt attempts ORU fg% allowed is 100th nationally. However, the 3pt fg% allowed is pretty bad, 249th nationally. So, if you think about defense on a per possession basis,  those numbers seem to point to the ORU points allowed per possession being fairly average. However, ORU playing a faster pace than most teams (I think I remember hearing on the ORU radio call that ORU is 46th in pace nationally), results in ORU opponents getting more possessions, and more points as a result. 

I don’t know if any of that makes sense or not. I think it explains how I can watch ORU play and see their effort and think they’re playing good defense, even though they end up giving up 80 points. 

It makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, there are people that measure pretty much exactly that, and we don't do well. Ken Pomeroy has a stat called "adjusted defensive efficiency," which measures points allowed per 100 possessions (adjusted for opponent). ORU is 285th out of 357 D1 teams, and dead last among the 68 tournament teams, at 106.7. Here are his rankings, sorted by AdjDE:

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE

The goal isn’t to be average on defense.  That gets you a 4 seed in the Summit League tournament.

ORU has good players that can play at a higher defensive level and they showed some better defensive play in the tournament.  That was actually the key to them winning the Summit League tournament this year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ORUTex said:

It makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, there are people that measure pretty much exactly that, and we don't do well. Ken Pomeroy has a stat called "adjusted defensive efficiency," which measures points allowed per 100 possessions (adjusted for opponent). ORU is 285th out of 357 D1 teams, and dead last among the 68 tournament teams, at 106.7. Here are his rankings, sorted by AdjDE:

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE

Yeah I forgot about kenpom. I don’t know how he comes up with his rankings (and probably wouldn’t understand it if I did) but I would bet that ORU not defending the 3pt line very well is a factor in the poor ranking.

Ohio State shoots about 36% on 22 3pt attempts per game, so 3pt shooting is a big part of their offense. I think ORU defending the 3 is going to be a big part of them having a chance to win. 

17 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Say what you will about Coach Mills but he has won with this new system: five on the wing, shooting threes, driving to the basket, and little or no post presence.  We all had our doubts but for the most part it has worked.

Yeah, this is a bit of a stretch. 

"For the most part" ORU's offensive philosophy this year has been undermined by spotty-to-really-bad defense and rebounding.  All of ORU's losses came from not being able to get stops.

The offense is really great when the shots are falling; the TEAM is really great when they play good defense, as we saw in Sioux Falls.

9 minutes ago, Beepbeep said:

Nice "Christian " language

See, eagleman5, THIS is why we can't have nice things...behave yourself.

Welcome to the conversation, BeepBeep - anything constructive to add re: the match-up, or ya just gonna troll until another long-time resident falls short of your idea of a "Christian"? 😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beepbeep said:

Eh, try not to be too harsh on Eagleman. Every congregation has its' backslider, and he's ours. 

He's our experiment as to once saved, always saved. 

• Haha 2

Well said Old Titan. He must not have anything better to do if he is trolling us. Maybe because they cant beat Alabama in football they are going for easier prey!