NCAA First Round: #15 ORU vs. #2 Ohio State

Old Titan

For newcomers to the ORU Basketball fan forum, "Welcome!"

Here's a nice recent profile of ORU hoops and the Mabee Center, courtesy of AllSportsRoadShow.com:

The Buckeyes are a physical team with a lot of 6'7/6'8 type of players.  They also have some really quick guards and rarely turn the ball over (10 a game).  Ohio State gave Illinois all they wanted and more today in the Big Ten Championship.  Wonder what Coach Mills will draw up as a game plan.  Not a lot of weaknesses in this Buckeye team, that was ranked as high as 4 in the nation.

Congratulations and good luck from the University of Denver. ORU has some great basketball fans and tradition so awesome to see the program rewarded. I always like to follow what is going on this board because you guys love your team and know the game. Stun the Buckeyes!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, timt89 said:

Congratulations and good luck from the University of Denver. ORU has some great basketball fans and tradition so awesome to see the program rewarded. I always like to follow what is going on this board because you guys love your team and know the game. Stun the Buckeyes!

Very kind words, Tim.  I can think of no higher compliment to fans of ANY program than to acknowledge they "love their team and know the game"! 👍

• Like 1

Just for fun if ORU were to win, would this be the biggest victory since 1974 in the Sweet Sixteen? Or beating #3 ranked Kansas? Thoughts

2:00pm Central Friday ON CBS (!) - pretty good broadcast crew, too.

Great thing about playing a Big 10 team with a large following:  you're not stuck on TruTV with a couple of B-team yahoos saying "AB-mus" the entire game.

FYI:  Mackey Arena is the home venue of the Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafayette (IN), 70 miles northwest of Indianapolis.  Ohio State should be very familiar with it...

2 hours ago, timt89 said:

Tks for your support

ORU playing on CBS is something you do not see every day! Opportunity for millions to watch (everybody has CBS)!  It also looks like fans can come to the game, up to 25 percent capacity in Mackey Area.  Which would be around 3,700 people.  Anybody from the Forum going?  The Buckeyes will probaly have a few fans at the game.

Edited by Keenan Henderson

This is a great opportunity for the Eagles to be show cased nationally. Hopefully they go in fearless like they did in the Summit League Tournament and light it up. Obviously it will take a lot to pull off an upset but this team is wired to do just that if they play lights out.  Keeping KO out of foul trouble is big and Max, KO and the supporting cast hitting from outside will be crucial! 

With Ohio State having an enrollment of something north of 61,000 students and Ohio State being less than 250 miles from Mackey Arena and Indiana being the neighboring State to Ohio, look for OSU fans to try and buy up all of the tickets for the game they can get their hands on.  BTW, Ohio State was already in Indianapolis this last weekend for the Big 10 tourney and played 4 games in 4 days.  If they can, OSU will try to turn Mackey Arena into a sea of scarlet and gray.  Our guys will have to be and stay focused through out the game and leading up to it.  We will get no respect from either OSU people or the national media.  They basically view us as some obscure small school from a bush league conference.  They have already been discussing how they hammered South Dakota State a few years ago and that this year SDSU was still No. 1 in the Summit and we were the 4th seed.  In other words, absolutely no respect for us.  They (OSU) are discussing how they will not be challenged until probably the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 (I am serious).  However, we have played Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Wichita State this year and other big schools in previous years.  We have played in this type of environment before including this year.  Just focus and play our game.  We can win.  Go Golden Eagles!

Yea, the tickets were gone very quickly. I was going to try to make the trip up there, but it's going to be well over $300 for a pair of resale nose bleeds far from the action. I think I'll watch from home. 

I'm hoping Mills' game plan includes a LOT of threes. Why play safe when you're a 15 seed?  If we're able to get hot from distance, we could at least keep it interesting.

• Upvote 1

ORU has got to hope Ohio State comes out flat (after that OT loss).  Hopefully the Buckeyes are looking ahead to Florida or Virginia Tech.  The keys for the Golden Eagles to have a chance are: rebound and continue to get help from the other guys.  OSU will be all over Max, thus giving DJ, Kareem, and Carlos good looks from three.

I agree that we need Ohio State to overlook us and play flat/uninspired. And we have to shoot lights out from the perimeter. They will key on Abmas and Obanor - so Weaver, Thompson, Jurgens, Lacis, etc. need to step up. The team must continue the defensive effort we saw in the tournament. It will take a perfect effort by everyone. 

I sure wish we had Lufile in the lineup. 

THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY???....what the heck....Let's kick their A$$......:hc_mills::shield-logo::k_obanor:

• Haha 1